Directions(1-5): In the given question, there are two statements which can be combined into a single statement in a number of ways without changing the overall meaning. Below them, three probable starters, (a), (b) and (c) are given, which may combine these sentences. One, two or all three of them may be correct. Choose the most appropriate alternative and answer accordingly.
- Judge Ring regarded the totality principle. Hence, he imposed a five-and-a-half-year sentence to commence on the lawful expiration of the three-year sentence on the Bill.
a. Owing to the respect towards the
b. Since he respected the
c. Having regard to the
Only aOnly bOnly a and bAll a, b and cNone of theseOption D
a. Owing to the respect towards the totality principle, Judge Ring imposed a five-and-a-half-year sentence to commence on the lawful expiration of the three-year sentence on the Bill.
b. Since he respected the totality principle, Judge Ring imposed a five-and-a-half-year sentence to commence on the lawful expiration of the three-year sentence on the Bill.
c. Having regard to the totality principle, Judge Ring imposed a five-and-a-half-year sentence to commence on the lawful expiration of the three-year sentence on Bill.
- Timothy Oritiz admitted to having a gun he used illegally. He used it to shoot Jonathan Methot, 30, in September 2016 in an argument over an alleged drug debt.
A. The gun Timothy Ortiz admitted
B. Timothy Ortiz illegally shot
C. The argument over an alleged drug debt allowed
Only aOnly bOnly cOnly a and cNone of theseOption A
The gun Timothy Ortiz admitted to having illegally was the one he used to shoot Jonathan Methot, 30, in September 2016 in an argument over an alleged drug debt.
- A man kept in prison for decades can be broken. A broken man is by definition a ‘reformed man’.
a. Keeping a broken man in prison
b. Keep a man in prison
c. If you keep a man in prisonOnly bOnly cOnly b and cOnly a and cAll of theseOption A
Keep a man in prison for decades and you can break him and a broken man is by definition a ‘reformed’ man, and ‘how else but through a broken heart may Lord Christ enter in!’
- Sharma was a contemporary of such political stalwarts as Arun Jaitley, Abhishek Singhvi and Vijay Goel. He was a rising political star when he cut his own career short by killing his wife in 1995.
a. After being a contemporary of
b. A contemporary of such political
c. Since he was a rising political star
Only aOnly bOnly cOnly a and cNone of theseOption B
A contemporary of such political stalwarts as Arun Jaitley, Abhishek Singhvi and Vijay Goel, Sharma, a rising political star, cut his own career short by killing his wife in 1995.
- Monga posted on Instagram: “Waking up to this shortlist! So proud and so exciting… I am so humbled to be a part of the producing team.” This followed the announcement of the Oscar shortlist on Monday.
a. As an antecedent of
b. Post the announcement of
c. After the Oscar shortlist was announcedOnly aOnly bOnly a and bOnly b and cAll of theseOption D
After the Oscar shortlist was announced on Monday, Monga posted on Instagram: “Waking up to this shortlist! So proud and so exciting… I am so humbled to be a part of the producing team.”
- 1. Turkish authorities have indicted 28 people of involvement in the killing of Andrei Karlov.
A. Andrei Karlov was shot by an off-duty police officer at the opening of a photography exhibition in the Turkish capital Ankara in December 2016.
B. The gunman was killed by police shortly after the diplomat’s killing.
C. Turkish and Russian news reports have said that eight people were in police custody, including four former police officers and the organizer of the exhibition where Karlov was killed.
D. It wasn’t immediately clear how many of the alleged suspects would be appearing when the January 8 trial begins in Ankara.BDACADCBCDABDABCACDBOption B
- 1. South Africa has not had a formal national policy to improve public safety since 2004.
A. If properly implemented, it could make South Africa significantly safer.
B. This is the government’s flagship policy on crime, safety and violence prevention.
C. But, like with many other good policies in South Africa, implementation is precisely the challenge.
D. This changed in 2016 when Cabinet adopted the White Paper on Safety and Security.
- 1. How powerful are social norms?
A. This has been a bottom-up process that nobody anticipated, and nobody controls.
B. Well, just look at the #MeToo movement, a wonderful example of a changing social norm.
C. In terms of the power structure, which you like to focus on, very little changed other than public opinion.
D. What used to be accepted and tolerated no longer is.BDACBCADDCABDBCABCDAOption A
- 1. The evolution of the art of picturebook-making, of composing a graphic sequence of pictures and words in interdependent harmony, owes much to Burningham.
A. These words were developed with increasing subtlety and economy over the course of his career.
B. Burningham along with Maurice Sendakwas one of the greatest masters of the medium.
C. With one or two notable exceptions, almost all of his work was self-authored, words and pictures developed and refined in tandem.
D. The word “illustrator”, as it is traditionally employed, is inadequate when attempting to describe Burningham’s oeuvre.
- 1. In 2013, Kalpana Viswanath co-founded SafetiPin, an app that aims to help women stay safe.
A. SafetiPin now has 51,000 points of data for Delhi alone, and offers users “safest routes”, helping them navigate the city with less risk.
B. The free app can be used anywhere in the world and so far there has been significant participation in 50 cities (25 in India) and SafetiPin is advising local authorities or organisations in 10 of them.
C. The app allows the users rate streets and areas for safety criteria such as lighting, visibility, people density, gender diversity, security and transportation.
D. It also aggregates safety data, partly provided by its users, for use by local government and planners.CDABACBDBACDDCBACDBAOption A
Directions(6-10): The given sentences, when properly sequenced, form a coherent paragraph. Each sentence is labelled with a letter. Choose the most logical order of the sentences from among the five given choices to construct a coherent paragraph keeping 1 as the first statement.