Directions(1-5): In the passage given below there are 5 blanks. Every blank has four alternative words given in options (A),(B),(C), and (D). You have to tell which word is APPROPRIATE according to the context. If all are appropriate then mark your answer as “E”.
A forecast of a below average monsoon in 2019, after last year’s erratic rainfall that flooded Kerala and ___1___ agriculture in eastern and western States, is a cause for worry. If the assessment from one agency, Skymet, is any indication, there is a prospect of an El Niño, often ___2___ with drought conditions, taking hold. This must, of course, be considered along with other factors that seem to weaken the El Niño link, such as a dipole weather phenomenon in the Indian Ocean. Should the monsoon, which normally sets in between June 1 and July 15 across the country, turn out to be deficient, it will add to the pressures on rural employment and the economy as a whole. Things may become clearer when the India Meteorological Department also issues its forecast, ___3___ error margins and the erratic nature of rainfall in different regions render the exercise ___4___ with uncertainty. Last year, for instance, the realisation of rainfall was 91% of the long-term average, while the prediction was for 97%. More immediately, India will go to the polls in the peak of summer after an intensive campaign. It is the responsibility of State administrations to prepare for the likelihood of a heat ___5___, particularly during April and May, to prevent loss of life and extreme distress to communities. Official agencies and NGOs should start adopting the drill on this, using the template drawn up by the National Disaster Management Authority.
salubriouscrippledintactfittedAll are CorrectOption B
separatedseveredassociateddetachedAll are CorrectOption C
ergohencethereforealthoughAll are CorrectOption D
fraughtdevoiddestitutedeficientAll are CorrectOption A
harassspikedetachfosterAll are CorrectOption B
- The couple of thousand tourists who have signed up to witness political rallies and follow campaign trails constitute a __________________ footnote to India’s multi-billion dollar election economy, but the enterprise is still a promising sign as far as the tourism industry is __________________ .
peculiar, casualcurious, concernedinquisitive, harsheccentric, atrociousAll are CorrectOption B
- While India needs a massive expansion of destinations and infrastructure, this is easier said than done. If a new spot is __________________ ahead of adequate infrastructure and behavioural norms, it is bound to be __________________ before development. On the other hand, developing a place too early might leave you with a white elephant if demand does not pick up.
fostered, savedadvanced, respectedpromoted, ravagedpublicize, preservedAll are CorrectOption C
- The last pronouncement, about visual evidence of the black hole phenomenon, occurred on Wednesday. A black hole is now a scientific truth because of three main reasons: One, people with great authority, who have monopoly over a narrow field of study, have said so after an arcane process that is widely believed to be very rigorous; two, other people like them have __________________ it; three, most people in the world, including scientists in other fields, do not have enough information to challenge the __________________ .
certified, impeachmentratified, contradictionsupported, negationendorsed, assertionAll are CorrectOption D
- The present leaders of the BJD and TDP are heirs to political history. But even the Asom Gana Parishad (AGP), which has revolutionary roots, has not been left untouched by this. Praful Kumar Mahanta had __________________ the last assembly election in Assam in coalition with the BJP. He was an ally in the NDA, too. But in January, he walked out of the alliance protesting against the Citizenship Amendment Bill. It seemed as if Mahanta’s old __________________ attitude was returning, but this was not so. As Lok Sabha elections drew nearer, the BJP high command wooed him back, and he became an NDA ally again.
contested, aggressivedisputed, pacifistcombated, timiddispute, complaisantAll are CorrectOption A
- This factoid has once again put the spotlight on the problem of farm __________________, especially if one takes into account the fact that growth in rural wages continues to be low, even as sources of non-farm employment have virtually disappeared. While in political rhetoric it is no longer top billing, the food inflation __________________ is a reminder that the issue of farm distress is far from over.
anguish, astraydistress, trajectoryaffliction, driftingtribulation, awryAll are CorrectOption B
Direction (6-10): In each question below a sentence is given with two blanks in each. Each question is followed by four options with two words in each. You have to select that option as your answer which can fill both the blanks of the sentence.