Directions(1-5): In each of the following questions there are sentences. There is error in one of the parts. Mark the option which contains error parts as your answer. If no part contains error mark option E as your answer.
- (A) Even as she shut the door on the Congress, the Bahujan Samaj Party chief Mayawati left a window open. /(B) While calling away talks on an alliance with the Congress for the Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan Assembly elections, /(C) Ms. Mayawati kept alive the possibility of an understanding /(D) for the Lok Sabha election.
calling away = calling off
- (A) India’s Swachh Bharat Mission is receiving global praise for attempting to close the sanitation gap /(B) of nearly 60% of the rural population not having access to toilet at home in 2014. /(C) The NDA government invoked Mahatma Gandhi’s vision of a clean and healthy country when it launched the ambitious programme. /(D) On the eve of Independence, Gandhi saw the lack of a “sense of national or social sanitation” as the root of all diseases among Indians.
to toilet = to a toilet
- (A) The campaign for Sunday’s elections in Brazil is beset by an anti-establishment mood, as in several democracies. /(B) Legislators at the state and national levels are being elected, /(C) but it is the contest for the President’s post that has really polarised the campaign. /(D) The personalised nature of the contest owes to the lingering shadow of Operation Car Wash, a buzzword for the anti-corruption campaign that underpins the confrontation between the legislature and the judiciary.
- (A) After more than a year of intense negotiation, the U.S., Canada and Mexico managed to arrive at a revised /(B) trade agreement on Sunday to replace the quarter-century-old North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). /(C) Even though the deal does not do anything new to promote the cause of free trade among the North American nations, it achieves the objective of averting any significance damage to the international trade system. /(D) Sadly, this is the best anyone could possibly hope for in the midst of the global trade war that began this year.
significance = significant
- (A) If Maharashtra often appears to be on the cusp of a political realignment, it is in no small part due to the posturing /(B) and shadow boxing of the old warhorse, Sharad Pawar of the Nationalist Congress Party. /(C) After stating that people did not doubt the intentions of Prime Minister Narendra Modi in the Rafale deal, /(D) Mr. Pawar insisted that the remark should not be construed like support for Mr. Modi.
like = as
- The Sena might not be doing anything more than trying to drive a hard _______________ on seat-sharing with the BJP for the Lok Sabha polls. After the two parties contested the Assembly election separately, and the BJP _______________ stronger than the Sena for the first time, the 2014 electoral understanding for the Lok Sabha seats is unlikely to hold for 2019.
negotiate, vanishbargain, emergedhaggle, conservecovenant, dissipateAll are CorrectOption B
- Not all the amendments, however, are _______________ to the prospects of free trade. Many are simply hard compromises that Canada and Mexico may have made just to _______________ trade tensions with the U.S. And not unlike other free trade deals entered into by governments, the present one attempts to micromanage trade in a way that benefits specific interest groups at the cost of the overall economy.
sociable, goadagreeable, pulsatecongenial, defuseaffable, agitateAll are CorrectOption C
- Surging in several opinion polls in the five-corner presidential contest for the first round is the far-right frontrunner, Jair Bolsonaro, an ex-army captain often _______________ with autocratic leaders elsewhere. A stabbing incident at an election rally has forced Mr. Bolsonaro to campaign from his hospital bed, a sign of the sharp and often _______________ polarisation between political extremes.
equated, tranquilcontrasted, weakagainst, mildcompared, violentAll are CorrectOption D
- The Centre _______________ that urban toilet coverage is now 87% of the target, and nearly three-fourths of the wards in the country have door-to-door collection of municipal waste, but the lived experience of the city-dweller, especially in the bigger metros, is different. Waste volumes continue to grow as economic growth _______________ consumption.
asserts, spursalleges, inhibitsreplies, curbsasseverates, delaysAll are CorrectOption A
- Congress functionaries have _______________ that Ms. Mayawati could be under pressure from the Bharatiya Janata Party to go it alone and that she might have given in just in order to _______________ the Central investigative agencies. The BSP chief, never one to take kindly to personal attacks, responded by saying that Mr. Singh was afraid of the Enforcement Directorate and the Central Bureau of Investigation.
signified, catch a glimpseindicated, fend offmentioned, let inannunciation, bite the bulletAll are CorrectOption B
Direction (6-10): In each question below a sentence is given with two blanks in each. Each question is followed by four options with two words in each. You have to select that option as your answer which can fill both the blanks of the sentence.