Directions(1-5): In the passage given below there are 10 blanks. Every blank has four alternative words given in options (A),(B),(C), and (D). You have to tell which word is APPROPRIATE according to the context. If all are appropriate then mark your answer as “E”.
In places that celebrate Christmas, retailers face the usual year-end ___1___ to keep their shelves piled high. They will not be the only ones facing a seasonal run on their inventory: banks need to ___2___ for Christmas, too.
Just like eggnog, fruitcake and reindeer sweaters, demand for cash peaks in December, as consumers withdraw money to pay for Christmas gifts, tips and holiday travel. In the weeks leading up to the holiday, banks ___3___ extra cash in their vaults to meet the additional demand. In the weeks that follow, as the beneficiaries of the Christmas ___4___ deposit their takings, the excess cash is sent back to central banks and removed from ___5___.
organizationscramblecoastdallyAll are CorrectOption B
finish upexhauststock uptoss outAll are CorrectOption C
dissipatescreenwantstashAll are CorrectOption D
rushdawdleretarddetentionAll are CorrectOption A
barricadecirculationsuccinctnessflexionAll are CorrectOption B
- (A) When India and Pakistan announced in November they would operationalise a corridor from Dera Baba Nanak in Punjab to Kartarpur Sahib Gurdwara in Pakistan’s Punjab, /(B) it was hailed as a step forward in an otherwise fraught relationship. Prime Minister Narendra Modi appeared to share the optimism when he likened the initiative’s potential to the fall of the Berlin Wall. /(C) What has followed, however, is round up round of wrangling between the two governments over every detail: /(D) from the number of pilgrims to be accommodated, to the security restrictions, to the documentation and mode of transport to be used by pilgrims.
round up = round upON
- (A) The Bengaluru civil court’s blanket order restraining 49 newspapers, television channels and other media outlets from publishing anything ‘defamatory’ about Tejasvi Surya, /(B) the BJP’s candidate for the Bengaluru South Lok Sabha constituency, is contrary to the law and the Constitution. /(C) The temporary injunction violates the basic principle in free speech law that bars ‘prior restraint’ or pre-censorship of any publication, including the media. As recently as in 2017, a Supreme Court Bench made it clear that pre-broadcast or pre-publication regulation of content was not in the court’s domain. /(D) In R. Rajagopal (1994), the court noted that there is no law that authorises prior to restraint.
omit “to” after prior
- (A) Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan had led the campaign for Sunday’s municipal elections from the front, /(B) so the reverses to his Justice and Development Party (AKP) have come as a personal jolt. /(C) The biggest blow to the Islamist party is the end of its long dominance of the capital Ankara and possibly Istanbul too. /(D) These polls were the first since Mr. Erdoğan was re-elected in June 2018, after Turkey switched to a presidential form of government authorised in a 2017 referendum. The Republican People’s Party (CHP), the principal Opposition, and pro-Kurdish parties have made huge inroads. They had managed to contain the AKP’s margin of victory in the June presidential and parliamentary polls.
- (A) In ruling that Prime Minister Narendra Modi did not violate the Model Code of Conduct by announcing through a nationally televised address /(B) the demonstration of India’s capability to brought down an operational satellite, the Election Commission has taken a possibly correct view of the Code’s provisions. /(C) However, it remains a narrow technical view as it is a thin line that divides the idea of making a high-level declaration of a defence capability from using it for electoral advantage. /(D) Opposition parties had accused the Prime Minister of violating the Model Code by touting the demonstration of the anti-satellite (ASAT) missile test as a significant achievement of the ruling BJP. CPI(M) general secretary Sitaram Yechury had formally complained to the EC. There were questions about the timing of the test as well as the manner of announcement as the country is in election mode.
brought down = bring down
- (A) Rahul Gandhi’s decision to choose Wayanad in Kerala, in addition to Amethi in Uttar Pradesh, to contesting, /(B) could well be a defining moment in this election. Though Wayanad was under consideration for at least two weeks, /(C) the decision was nonetheless surprising as his principal opponent would be, not his national-level ideological rival the BJP, but a party of the Left, which is in the forefront of the fight for a secular alternative to the ruling formation. /(D) This paradox could turn out to be a central challenge in the emergence of a national coalition against the BJP because many parties that are opposed to the BJP are also opposed to one another.
Directions(6-10): In each of the following questions there are sentences. There is error in one of the parts. Mark the option which contains error parts as your answer. If no part contains error mark option E as your answer.