Directions(1-5): In each of the following questions there are sentences. There is error in one of the parts. Mark the option which contains error parts as your answer. If no part contains error mark option E as your answer.
- (A) Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has led the campaign for Sunday’s municipal elections from the front, /(B) so the reverses to his Justice and Development Party (AKP) have come as a personal jolt. /(C) The biggest blow to the Islamist party is the end of its long dominance of the /(D) capital Ankara and possibly Istanbul too.
has = had
- (A) The Bengaluru civil court’s blanket order restraining 49 newspapers, /(B) television channels and other media outlets from publishing anything ‘defamatory’ about Tejasvi Surya, the BJP’s candidate for the Bengaluru South Lok /(C) Sabha constituency, is contrary to the law and the Constitution. The temporary injunction violates the basic principle /(D) in free speech law that bars ‘prior restraint’ or pre-censorship of any publication, including the media.
- (A) The Congress party in its manifesto pledges to follow a ‘wealth and welfare’ approach if voted back in power. /(B) In an attempt to appeal to the poor without scaring away the rich, /(C) it promises to create wealth through promotion of private enterprise and expand /(D) welfare for the vulnerable sections of society at an unprecedented scale. An ambitious minimum income guarantee scheme is to directly transfer ₹6,000 a month to the poorest 20% households.
in = to
- (A) There was no surprise in the 25 basis points cut in benchmark interest rates by the Reserve Bank of India /(B) in its first bi-monthly policy statement of the financial year announced on Thursday. /(C) The market had anticipated such a cut and the only question was whether /(D) the central bank would surprised with a deeper 50 basis points cut.
surprised = surprise
- (A) The Supreme Court order quashing a circular issued by the RBI on resolution of bad loans is a setback /(B) to the evolving process for debt resolution. The voiding of the February 12, 2018 circular can slow down /(C) and complicate the resolution process for loans aggregating to as much as ₹3.80 lakh crore /(D) across 70 large borrowers, according to data from the ratings agency ICRA.
can = could
- The travails are symptomatic of the conditions afflicting Turkey. They go back to the run on the currencies of several emerging economies, leading to the _______________ of the lira by a third. Ankara’s woes turned acute following the flow of hot money and large borrowings by businesses in external currencies. Mr. Erdoğan is opposed to higher interest rates, and the government’s response to halt the lira’s slide and contain inflation was _______________ .
derogation, inchoatedepreciation, belateddetraction, inceptiveaspersion, nascentAll are CorrectOption B
- The allegations that have _______________ Mr. Surya seem to originate in an individual’s opinion on him on Twitter. It is possible that this piece of information was or is likely to be used against him by his electoral rivals. However, this cannot be a reason for a public figure — and a candidate of a major political party, even a _______________ , is definitely one — to claim a right to gag the entire media from writing about him.
buoyant, rookiepleased, neophyteaggrieved, debutantjovial, initiateAll are CorrectOption C
- Election manifestos are important for political discussions ahead of elections, and for understanding the direction different political parties propose for the country. However, it must be kept in mind that parties _______________ ahead of elections, and the Congress must explain why it must not face that scepticism. Its manifesto has _______________ details about how its ambitious schemes will be funded.
castigate, exiguousobloquy, deficientchastize, meagreoverpromise, scantAll are CorrectOption D
- The 25 basis points cut is, therefore, an acknowledgement by the MPC of the slowdown in growth. It also signals a shift in policy since Shaktikanta Das _______________ office as Governor of the RBI, whereby the MPC is not solely focussed on inflation but also takes into account growth trends with equal seriousness. The MPC’s neutral policy stance is prudent given the uncertainties ahead as it gives the central bank the flexibility to _______________ policy to emerging data sets.
assumed, tailorhypothetical, elongatepresumed, formalizecounterfeit, muddleAll are CorrectOption A
- It is this credit discipline that risks being compromised now. It is not surprising that international ratings agency Moody’s has _______________ the development as “credit negative” for banks. It is true that the circular failed to take into account the _______________ of specific industries or borrowers and came up with a one-size-fits-all approach. It is also true that not all borrowers were deliberate defaulters, and sectors such as power were laid low by externalities beyond the control of borrowers. The RBI could have addressed these concerns when banks and borrowers from these sectors brought these issues to its notice.
called, normalitiestermed, peculiaritiesdesignated, similaritiestimed, simplicitiesAll are CorrectOption B
Direction (6-10): In each question below a sentence is given with two blanks in each. Each question is followed by four options with two words in each. You have to select that option as your answer which can fill both the blanks of the sentence.