Directions(1-5): In each of the following questions there are sentences. There is error in one of the parts. Mark the option which contains error parts as your answer. If no part contains error mark option E as your answer.
- (A) The Tamil Nadu government’s decision to transfer the ‘Pollachi sexual abuse case’ to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) /(B) gives the case rightful priority, and the agency must swiftly unravel the sexual assault and /(C) blackmail racket that has victimised a number of young women. /(D) The case had its origins in a complaint of sexual harassment, assault and robbery in a town in Coimbatore district. While the arrest of the accused was made in end-February, the case created a storm early this week during a leaked video found its way into the public sphere.
during = when
- (A) Parliamentary elections in India have increasingly been influenced by State-level political variables beyond the performance of the ruling parties /(B) and the Opposition at the Centre. And this factor is likely to be even more salient in the four States facing simultaneous elections to the Assemblies and the Lok Sabha: Andhra Pradesh, Odisha, Sikkim and Arunachal Pradesh. /(C) In Andhra Pradesh, the two main rivals are regional forces, the Chandrababu Naidu-led Telugu Desam Party and the Y.S. Jaganmohan Reddy-led YSR Congress Party. /(D) In 2014, the TDP had successfully fought elections in alliance with the BJP, and the Congress faced a backlash because of the bifurcation of the State during its tenure.
- (A) The Islamic State, which at its peak controlled territories straddling the Iraq-Syria border of the size of Great Britain, /(B) is now fighting for half a square kilometre in eastern Syria. /(C) The Syrian Democratic Forces, the Kurdish-led rebel group assisted by the U.S., has effectively laid siege to Baghouz, the eastern Syrian village where about 500 IS jihadists along with 4,000 women and children are caught. When the IS lost bigger cities such as Raqqa and Deir Ezzor in eastern Syria, militants moved to Baghouz and the deserts in the south. /(D) After the SDF moved to Baghouz, several civilians fled in the village.
fled in the village = fled the village
- (A) Manufacturing activity in the country continues to remain becalmed. The latest Index of Industrial Production data show that output /(B) across the broad sector expanded 1.3% in January, a clear loss of momentum from the 3% pace in December and a drastic slowdown /(C) from the 8.7% growth seen on January 2018. Overall, industrial output growth slumped to 1.7%, from 2.6% in December, and 7.5% a year earlier, as production in 12 of the 23 industry groups that comprise the manufacturing sector shrank from a year earlier. /(D) These are quick estimates that are likely to be revised.
seen on January = in January
- (A) The Meghalaya High Court’s order finding the Editor and Publisher of Shillong Times guilty to contempt, and asking them to /(B) “sit in a corner” till the rising of the court and imposing a fine of ₹2 lakh each, /(C) is a heavy-handed response to comments in the newspaper on the court’s earlier orders. What makes the order even more unfortunate is the explicit threat to ban the newspaper and jail them if they fail to pay the fine. While courts are indeed empowered to decide whether a publication scandalised or /(D) tended to scandalise the judiciary or interfered with the administration of justice, there is no legal provision for an outright ban on it.
guilty to = guilty of
- If most private sector telecom companies are _________________, state-owned MTNL and BSNL are dying. Not that the disease that is killing them has no cure. Rather, the treatment is like that at a village health centre where the doctor and the medical supplies arrive only _________________ and not always at the same time.
coagulating, incessantlybleeding, intermittentlyhaemorrhaging, frequentlybloodletting, perpetuallyAll are CorrectOption B
- Airports are local monopolies, for the most part. Reining their user fees depends on regulation, rather than competition from other airports. The move to _________________ the scope of the airport regulatory authority, such as via the Aera of India (Amendment Bill 2018), shows how tenuous such regulation could eventually be. The very bid terms of the PPP contract must ideally contain elements that _________________ tariffs and airport development charges.
adulterate, unleashattenuate, exhortdilute, constrainmitigate, slackenAll are CorrectOption C
- India must utilise the full potential of the Indo-US Nuclear Deal. The way forward surely is for global majors like Westinghouse and Areva to form joint ventures in India for manufacture and export of _________________ and forgings for modern modular nuclear plants. Some 150 such plants are on order globally, and 300 more are planned, to _________________ dependable power other than from fossil fuels. India must market its expertise.
excavate, speed upderacinate, step upbedlam, warm upequipment, rev upAll are CorrectOption D
- The judgment of the Panchkula special court, which had _________________ all the four accused in the Samjhauta Express bomb blast case last week, comes down heavily on the prosecution, saying the best evidence was withheld, crucial witnesses were not cross-examined and that dozens of witnesses turned hostile. Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi bemoans the paucity of judges in the Supreme Court and in _________________ tribunals. He tells lawyers that the apex court would stop entertaining ‘mentions’ except in matters of life and death. India’s justice system, to put it mildly, is strained.
exonerated, congruousexcused, specialcleared, homogeneousacquitted, assortedAll are CorrectOption D
- Beijing’s focus in Africa has been in energy and infrastructure, besides mines, with little backward or forward linkages in the host economy. Debt, if unserviced, can lead to Chinese _________________ of assets. Working with partners, India has the potential to provide an alternative, with its historical ties, a three-million-strong diaspora, diverse business ties, and the English language. Investment flows into Africa, over 2008-16, were $52.6 billion, 21% of India’s total investment _________________ .
takeover, outflowscapitulation, outletsconcession, exitsdeclension, flowsAll are CorrectOption A
Direction (6-10): In each question below a sentence is given with two blanks in each. Each question is followed by four options with two words in each. You have to select that option as your answer which can fill both the blanks of the sentence.