Directions(1-5): In the passage given below there are 5 blanks. Every blank has four alternative words given in options (A),(B),(C), and (D). You have to tell which word is APPROPRIATE according to the context. If all are appropriate then mark your answer as “E”.
The Indian Premier League, since its launch in 2008, has become a sporting ___1___ every summer. Cricketing purists may sneer at Twenty20s and their lack of historical ___2___, but there is no denying the IPL’s popularity and ___3___. The 12th edition, which started in Chennai on Saturday with an easy victory for the holders Chennai Super Kings, will span diverse venues for the 60 matches. Despite the elections being held through seven phases during April-May, the Board of Control for Cricket in India has ensured that every franchise gets its rightful share of home and away matches. But besides the ___4___ of sixes, dot-balls and ecstatic fans, the current IPL has to deal with the elephant in the room. It is expected to conclude on May 12, and immediately the biggest tournament in the International Cricket Council calendar awaits the players. The World Cup starts on May 30, with host England taking on South Africa at the Oval. India will open its campaign with the game against South Africa at Southampton on June 5. But there isn’t enough time for the Indian team to ___5___.
austerityindulgencedeprivationrestraintAll are CorrectOption B
relaxationdeficiencyresonanceapertureAll are CorrectOption C
tenacityobduracyrigidityresilienceAll are CorrectOption D
immediacyintercessionmediacyinterferenceAll are CorrectOption A
deterioraterecuperatelanguishwitherAll are CorrectOption B
- Virat Kohli’s men are playing without a break over the last few months, with tours of Australia and New Zealand followed by the limited overs series against visiting Australians.
have been playinghad been playingwere playingbeing playedNo Correction RequiredOption A
- There are fears about Indian and overseas cricketers picking up injuries in the league, which might scupper their World Cup plans.
getting injuredpicking up injuriesbeing injuredhaving being injuredNo Correction RequiredOption B
- There is speculation about the BCCI and the Indian team management having had a word with team-owners over workload management so that key players don’t suffer a burnout.
do have burnoutsdon’t have a burnoutsuffer a burnoutdon’t gone through a burnoutNo Correction RequiredOption E
- The Australian duo of Steve Smith and David Warner, who are coming back after a one-year ban following the ball-tampering crisis at Cape Town in South Africa last March, are also likely to excel for Rajasthan Royals and Sunrisers Hyderabad, respectively, and claim their Baggy Green caps.
are excelledmade to be excelledkeen to excelbeing excelledNo Correction RequiredOption C
- The domestic tournament with an international flavour, as Rahul Dravid described the IPL, continues to have no space for Pakistan cricketers, raising questions over its organising principles. Politics and commerce have reinforced each other to make an even deeper impact on the IPL.
at itsabout itson itson theirNo Correction RequiredOption B
Directions(6-10): Which of the phrases (A), (B), (C), (D) given below each sentence should replace the phrase printed in bold to make the sentence grammatically correct? If the sentence is correct as it is, mark (E) ie ‘No correction required’ as the answer.