Directions: In each of the following questions there are sentences. There is error in one of the parts. Mark the option which contains error parts as your answer. If no part contains error mark option E as your answer.
- (A) The reforms impetus was two-pronged: first, a reduction in tariffs on capital and intermediate goods were expected /(B) to make domestic industry competitive; and, second, FDI flows were expected to improve technology and efficiency levels, /(C) besides creating jobs. FDI flows have picked up, but there is little evidence to suggest that /(D) these have gone substantially into greenfield investments in manufacturing.
were = was
- (A) The incident puts on centre stage the crucial issue of patient compensation following a product recall, /(B) for drugs and medical devices. It also highlights the need for traceability of faulty or substandard products, /(C) so the drug regulator can contain the damage and take steps to protect the patient. Presently, the Drugs and Cosmetics Act has penalties, even punishment, /(D) for substandard products. Medical devices, though entirely different from drugs, are viewed through a same lens.
- (A) The regulator has not made it mandatory, believes Sanjay Datta, /(B) Chief – Underwriting and Claims, ICICI Lombard, but when questioned about the Act, /(C) he says the company is mulling including mental health in product /(D) design and that may lead to an increase of premium rates.
- (A) There are many things that you can do daily, and also on World Suicide Prevention Day to prevent /(B) suicidal behaviour by raising awareness on the issue, /(C) educating yourself and others about the causes of suicide and warning signs for suicide, /(D) showing compassion and care for those who are in distress in your community and questioning the stigma associated with suicide, suicidal behaviour and mental health problems.
on = about
- (A) To intensify action to eliminate malaria, address the increasing threat of dengue and improve access to essential medicines, /(B) member countries of the World Health Organisation South-East Asia Region are meeting /(C) in Delhi from September 3 to 7 to discussing priority health issues /(D) in the region, home to one-fourth of the world’s population.
discussing -= discuss
- The ________________ of the rupee, while not pretty to the nationalistic eye, will help contain the widening trade deficit. The government has to keep the fiscal deficit under tight control. That, and streamlining goods and services tax so that exports are not ________________ , are its tasks.
depreciation, repressedrehabilitation, inhibitedacclaim, suppressedexaltation, hiddenAll are CorrectOption A
- India is on the threshold of a data revolution, one of whose beneficiaries would be the insurance industry. Insurance premia, say, for motor insurance should be ________________ on the basis of ________________ data on driving behaviour, accident-proneness of routine travel regions, distance driven per month and so on, and not just past claims, if any.
conjectured, mellowguessed, fluentsurmised, flourycomputed, granularAll are CorrectOption D
- The court’s view would ________________ with the Sena and could feed demands in every locality to keep outsiders away in the ________________ for jobs. That would conflict with the fundamental freedom of a citizen to move freely and reside anywhere.
boom, levantresonate, questreverberate, skulkclang, escapeAll are CorrectOption B
- The government is spot on in deciding to pass on higher costs of crude oil imports by ________________ raising retail prices of petroleum products back-to-back. The fact is that taxes, duties and cess on petroleum are extremely significant, accounting for about 40% of governmental revenue. And lowering the taxes and duties, in an attempt to somewhat moderate price of petro-products, would ________________ the fiscal and macroeconomic balance.
overly, manifestduly, disturbseverely, sootheinapt, locateAll are CorrectOption B
- The Supreme Court, by restraining the Pune police from taking into remand the five rights activists arrested on Tuesday, has played the wholesome role ________________ by the framers of the Constitution who divided state power among the legislature, the executive and the judiciary so as to create checks and balances that would ________________ and advance democracy.
anticipated, gainsayconfronted, forwardenvisaged, maintainassumed, retractAll are CorrectOption C
Direction (6-10): In each question below a sentence is given with two blanks in each. Each question is followed by four options with two words in each. You have to select that option as your answer which can fill both the blanks of the sentence.