Direction (1-5): In each question below a sentence is given with two blanks in each. Each question is followed by four options with two words in each. You have to select that option as your answer which can fill both the blanks of the sentence.
- French President Emmanuel Macron’s ________________ call for European defence cooperation comes from realisation that, in the age of America First, the US-led and Nato-embedded security ________________ under which the Europeans had got used to snuggling is no longer a bulwark against external threats.
invigorated, threatrenewed, blanketresumed, questionrecreated, findingsAll are CorrectOption B
- Suppose an ________________ headmaster punishes two students for failing to do their homework by barring their neighbours from going to work, and, further, is in a position to enforce that ban as the neighbours in question happen to be school employees, how would people react? Unfortunately, that strong language cannot be ________________ when the headmaster’s arbitrariness is put to work in real life by the Supreme Court.
balmy, inertaffable, engagedirate, employedamicable, sluggishAll are CorrectOption C
- Veteran American senator and unsuccessful presidential candidate John McCain’s ________________ was unsurprisingly political as well — but since no politics is stranger today than American politics, the subtext at that show could provide points to ________________ for all democracies.
requiem, construecortege, adjournbury, adjudicatefuneral, ponderAll are CorrectOption D
- Growth will lose that advantage in the second half. Yet, the latest growth figures suggest that the quality of growth has hugely ________________ . The numbers show massive rebound in value addition in such sectors as manufacturing and construction, and investment seems to be ________________ momentum too.
shabby, cedinggerminal, gainedprimordial, gainedimproved, gainingAll are CorrectOption D
- Britain is hardly a role model in either respect. It is abandoning the EU, and has never ________________ from the long-term decline in its manufacturing. Britain’s economy is based on service industries and consumer debt, a pattern that no one in Africa wants to reproduce, even if – with 40% of the continent’s countries now at high risk of debt ________________ – it is in significant danger of doing so.
recovered, distresshealed, sootherehabilitated, benefitrejuvenated, delightAll are CorrectOption A
- (A) On August 30, a five-judge Constitution bench of the Supreme Court answered the following question, /(B) “Whether a person belongs to a Scheduled Caste (SC) in relation to /(C) a particular state would be entitled or not, to the benefits or concessions allowed to SC candidate in the matter of employment, in any other state?” /(D) Its answer is “no, with the exception of Delhi”.
belongs = belonging
- (A) The government is spot in deciding to pass on higher costs of crude oil imports by duly /(B) raising retail prices of petroleum products back-to-back. /(C) The fact is that taxes, duties and cess on petroleum are extremely significant, accounting for about 40% of governmental revenue. /(D) And lowering the taxes and duties, in an attempt to somewhat moderate price of petro-products, would disturb the fiscal and macroeconomic balance.
spot on = completely accurate or accurately.
- (A) The Supreme Court, by restraining the Pune police from taking into remand the five rights activists arrested on /(B) Tuesday, has played the wholesome role envisaged by the framers of the /(C) Constitution who divided state power among the legislature, the executive and the judiciary so as /(D) to create checks and balances that would maintain and advance democracy.
- (A) Going on an arresting spree can be a reassuring display of the efficacy of law and order — /(B) only when the arrests are buttressed by evidence and procedure. The arrest of five individuals on /(C) charges of illegally helping those ‘waging war’ against the Indian State will also have to meet the same criteria. /(D) The Supreme Court has kept matter in limbo, ordering the accused be out of custody and under house arrest till September 6, by which time Maharashtra state and the Centre have to respond to the petition filed challenging the arrests.
matter = matters
- (A) The good news in the RBI’s Annual Report for 2017-18 is that growth is expected to pick up /(B) momentum on the strength of a rise in gross fixed capital formation. /(C) Statedriven infrastructure building drives growth. The bad news come in the area of household financial savings, which the RBI Annual Report describes /(D) as the most important source of funds for investment in the economy.
Directions(6-10): In each of the following questions there are sentences. There is error in one of the parts. Mark the option which contains error parts as your answer. If no part contains error mark option E as your answer.