Directions(1-5): In each of the following questions there are sentences. There is error in one of the parts. Mark the option which contains error parts as your answer. If no part contains error mark option E as your answer.
- (A) There was no uncertainty for the medical admission process this year in Tamil Nadu. /(B) There were no attempts to get an exemption from the National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test (NEET). /(C) And, willy-nilly, as many as 1.14 lakh aspirants took the examination that has been made mandatory by the Supreme Court as the sole admission window for medical colleges. /(D) Yet, the poor performance of students from Tamil Nadu in the entrance test has demonstrated that the State is still far from being ‘NEET-ready’. It is true that a well-intentioned beginning has been made to upgrade the syllabus and to make students more competitive.
for = over
- (A) There is a tendency among tennis fans to take Rafael Nadal’s clay court dominance for granted. /(B) Ever since he won his first French Open in 2005, the Spaniard single-handedly drained out almost all the suspense that Paris may have otherwise offered. /(C) On Sunday, when he held aloft the Roland Garros trophy for /(D) the 11th time in his career, after defeating his touted heir apparent Dominic Thiem, it was more of the same.
the Spaniard single-handedly = the Spaniard has single-handedly
- (A) The Taliban’s announcement of a three-day ceasefire with Afghan government troops for Eid, two days after President Ashraf Ghani /(B) declared an unconditional week-long ceasefire, is a glimmer of hope /(C) for a breakthrough in the long-struggling peace process. This is the first time the Taliban has announced a ceasefire in the 17 years since it was removed from power in Kabul. /(D) Though it has not acknowledged the government ceasefire, the timing and the public declaration unmistakably point at the reciprocity of the decision.
at = to
- (A) Union Minister Piyush Goyal, currently in charge of the Finance Ministry, has announced the formation of a committee /(B) to access the idea of special asset reconstruction companies or asset management companies /(C) to take over bad loans from banks. The bankers’ panel has been given two weeks to revert. /(D) The idea of a ‘bad bank’ is not new. Chief Economic Adviser Arvind Subramanian had suggested the creation of a Public Sector Asset Rehabilitation Agency (PARA) to deal with what he described as India’s “festering twin balance sheet problem”.
access = assess
- (A) Nobody wants to lose a trade war. The European Commission on Wednesday announced it would impose /(B) tariffs as high as 25% on imports worth $3.3 billion from the U.S. beginning July. A whole range of American goods, /(C) from motorbikes and jeans to peanut butter and orange juice, will now face higher taxes when sold in the European Union zone. /(D) The Commission is also mulling import duties on more American goods if the trade war with the U.S. intensifies.
- Lavish advertisements, as well as interviews with toppers, make it quite obvious that those who can afford expensive coaching classes have a distinct advantage in this system. Like many other competitive examinations, NEET has __________ a coaching industry, with some parts of the country proving to be ideal locales for academic sweatshops. Many of those in the top percentiles have attended long-term coaching classes as well as crash courses, paying __________ fees.
begotten, frugalspawned, exorbitantengendered, reasonableprocreated, sensibleAll are CorrectOption B
- When Nadal arrived on the scene, he was deemed a player with a limited __________ , stamina and muscularity his standout qualities. In his 20s he improved as a shotmaker, slicing and volleying better as he recorded five final appearances at Wimbledon from 2006 to 2011 and won two of them. As he neared his 30s, he elevated his serve and added more aggression to his game, especially on the forehand side. Now it is his backhand — once a liability — that stands out. With age, Nadal has tended to get more anxious and tight, and even __________ on an occasion or two.
depository, breathedrepository, releasedarsenal, chokedstockpile, alightAll are CorrectOption C
- The fact that the government and the Taliban finally accepted a limited ceasefire suggests that the appetite for a political solution is now stronger. But a three-day Taliban ceasefire will not necessarily set the scene for a more productive engagement. The Taliban has said that the __________ is applicable only to the “domestic opposition”, which means it will continue to target foreign troops. Also, the announcement came immediately after several attacks over 24 hours left at least 50 security personnel dead, which shows how __________ the situation is.
hostility, secureconflict, sustainablecombat, assuredtruce, precariousAll are CorrectOption D
- But there are good reasons why the Finance Ministry left the bad bank idea in the cold over the past year and a half – among them the fact that the new entity would need a lot of capital support, just as banks do. Some of this was envisaged as coming from the Reserve Bank of India through a __________ transaction. After a long debate within government, under Finance Minister Arun Jaitley, it was __________ that setting up a new institution would be very time-consuming and there would be challenges on its ownership structure as well as the pricing of bad loans taken over from banks.
complicated, notedinvolved, outcastbyzantine, obscuresophisticated, overlookedAll are CorrectOption A
- Judging by their actions, it is now clear that America’s major trading __________ would not really want to lose this trade war against the U.S. The sad fact, however, is that at the end of the day nobody actually wins a destructive trade war. Tariffs that seek to disadvantage foreign producers in favour of domestic producers, whether they are __________ by the U.S. or any of its major trading partners such as Europe or China, only increase the burden of taxes. What this leads to eventually is slower global economic growth.
competitors, canceledallies, imposednemesis, discretionarylitigant, revokedAll are CorrectOption B
Direction (6-10): In each question below a sentence is given with two blanks in each. Each question is followed by four options with two words in each. You have to select that option as your answer which can fill both the blanks of the sentence.