Directions(1-5): In the passage given below there are 5 blanks. Every blank has four alternative words given in options (A),(B),(C), and (D). You have to tell which word is APPROPRIATE according to the context. If all are appropriate then mark your answer as “E”.
The sentencing of former Bangladesh Prime Minister Khaleda Zia to five years of ___1___ imprisonment by a special judge’s court in Dhaka on charges of corruption has upended politics in an election year. Her arrest and possible disqualification from contesting — unless higher courts decide otherwise — has ___2___ a political crisis for her Bangladesh Nationalist Party, and equally a challenging opportunity for the ruling Awami League. The BNP is entirely dependent for leadership on the Zia family. With Ms. Zia’s son Tarique Rahman, who has been named the acting chairperson of the party, in exile in London after being ___3___ in another corruption case in 2016, the BNP is caught in a bind. Elections are scheduled for December 2018, and even before Ms. Zia’s conviction the party was struggling. The BNP had boycotted the previous elections in 2014, practically allowing the Awami League a walkover. It was, in ___4___, a questionable strategy. Since 2014 the BNP has suffered significant erosion in its organisation. Besides Ms. Zia being ___5___ in dozens of corruption cases, party activists have also been hauled up in several cases. Ms. Zia is expected to appeal the judgment, and could be eligible to contest elections after release on bail — but the conviction will weigh heavily on her party’s fortunes.
lenientrigorouscompensatepliantAll are CorrectOption B
expungedterminatedcreatedshatteredAll are CorrectOption C
acquittedexoneratedpardonedconvictedAll are CorrectOption D
hindsightattentioncircumspectionforetokenAll are CorrectOption A
simplifiedembroiledextricatedqueuedAll are CorrectOption B
- The current queen of gracious divorcees is Anna Faris, who __________ her happiness about ex-husband Chris Pratt’s engagement to Katherine Schwarzenegger on Instagram this week, saying, “I’m so happy for you both!!” before offering to perform the wedding ceremony herself (ostensibly a genuine proposition, given that she is an ordained minister).
a. poured out
b. sent out
c. spilled overBoth a & bBoth b & cBoth c & aOnly aNone of theseOption C
- I was 11 when my parents separated. A “bad age”, people sometimes say, in that sagacious tone, when the topic __________. It rarely does any more, because to have divorced parents is unexceptional these days.
a. crops up
b. comes up
c. go forthBoth a & bBoth b & cBoth c & aOnly bNone of theseOption A
- On some level, this is difficult to admit. A part of me feels that it’s somehow babyish to lay your mental health problems at the door of your parents’ divorce: “I am this way because my parents separated 20 years ago.” Perhaps I’ve internalised the snowflake narrative, the emphasis on “resilience”. You just __________ with it, don’t you? Each person has his or her sadnesses to bear.
a. get off
b. move on
c. get onBoth a & bBoth b & cBoth c & aOnly cNone of theseOption B
- I first came out in my early 40s, following a destructive affair with a colleague. __________ was not nearly as stressful as recovering from the affair, or the period surrounding it during which I questioned and eventually began to understand my sexuality. I had been married for 15 years to the father of my children, and the changes these realisations brought about were complicated and challenging to navigate.
a. Shifting away
b. Coming out
c. Melting offBoth a & bBoth b & cBoth c & aOnly bNone of theseOption D
- I remember meeting for lunch at a mate’s work, arriving in tears and making him sit with me while I tried (unsuccessfully) for a couple of hours to workshop whether I had always been gay but had been hiding it from myself, or whether something had suddenly changed. I had no memories of __________ to women in my earlier life.
a. being attracted
b. likely to attract
c. is attractingBoth a & bBoth b & cBoth c & aOnly aNone of theseOption D
Directions(6-10): In each of the following questions a passage is given in which there is a blank. Choose the most logical and appropriate option from the five options given that can be filled in the blank.