State Bank of India (SBI) is going to conduct examination for its recruitment for the post of Probationary Officers (SBI PO 2018) for a total of 2000 vacancies.
The examination will be held in three phases i.e. Preliminary Examination, Main Examination and Group Exercise & Interview. The Preliminary Exam is scheduled on 1st, 7th & 8th of July 2018. Details of the exam are as under:
Practice the questions so as to familiarize yourself with the pattern of questions to be asked in the exam.
Directions: In each question a sentence is given followed by a blank. Each blank is followed by three options and you have to determine which option can be used in place of blank to make it a meaningful sentence and mark it as your answer.
- The Centre finds itself caught between a rock and a hard place following the sharp rise in international oil prices over the last several weeks. Pump prices of petrol and diesel are ruling higher than what they were in 2014 despite international oil prices being comparatively lower, sparking demands for a cut in duties and taxes to _________________ on consumers.
a. relieve the pressure
b. furor the concern
c. ease the burdenOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly cAll are CorrectOption C
- Mahathir Mohamad, Malaysia’s 92-year-old strongman who ruled the country from 1981-2003, staged an upset by unseating one-time protégé Najib Razak of the Barisan Nasional party. Mahathir led a coalition of opposition forces, Pakatan Harappan, which includes a prominent group led by 70-year-old Anwar Ibrahim. Ibrahim was his deputy, and is now serving his second jail term on _________________ after a falling out with Mahathir in the late 1990s.
a. sodomy charges
b. pedicating allegation
c. buggery complimentOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly aAll are CorrectOption A
- The scare-mongers have been proved wrong: the growth of big offline retailers and e-commerce giants over the last decade or so has not driven _________________ shops all across India to the wall. There is, hence, no reason to believe that the mega deal between Flipkart and Walmart — the first, an e-commerce player that controls about 45 per cent of India’s e-commerce market, and the second a dominant offline retail giant that, however, has been at the fringes of the Indian scene with about 20 cash and carry stores — will alter this situation.
a. owned and run by a married couple
c. small owner-operated businessOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly cAll are CorrectOption E
- Apart from supply disruptions, a further surge in crude prices will worsen India’s current account imbalance and fuel inflation, at a time when the economy is just beginning to show signs of returning to a high _________________ . For global corporations too, there will be considerable pain.
a. developmental path
b. furtherance range
c. growth trajectoryOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly bAll are CorrectOption C
- Karnataka, like India, is a place of _________________ One sees this in Hyderabad Karnataka’s human development Indicators being closer to that of Uttar Pradesh and Bihar, while Coastal Karnataka’s is closer to Kerala. Karnataka, like India, is a place of great linguistic and cultural diversity: the Kannada spoken in Bengaluru sounds very different to the one spoken in Mangaluru, which in turn sounds very different to the one spoken in Hyderabad Karnataka.
a. modrate variations
b. extreme contrasts
c. extraordinary confirmityOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly bAll are CorrectOption D
- The one comforting factor for the Centre in this scenario is that GST finally seems to be coming into its own. The _________________ collection of ₹1-lakh crore plus in April seems to _________________ that the tax is stabilising, and going forward, could keep the Centre’s cash registers ringing. This should knock off a major source of worry over revenues.
bounteous, indicatemunificent, bringsubstantial, drawprodigal, showAll are CorrectOption A
- While India’s multi-layered GST differs from Malaysia’s, its impact on small enterprises, particularly in labour-intensive sectors with a long domestic value chain such as garments, did _________________ as a political issue in Gujarat. If GST compliance issues remain unresolved, they could _________________ the ruling BJP in forthcoming elections.
hap, dogintrude, dogemerge, dogpass, dogAll are CorrectOption C
- Instead of being _________________ fixated on ownership issues, regulations should focus on protecting consumers and producers. Laws and institutions should be wary of anti-competitive practices, such as _________________ pricing.
modestly, fierceslightly, ferociousminimally, rapaciousunduly, predatoryAll are CorrectOption D
- Where national pride in one format, one language, and by one definition alone is hammered from above, from below must necessarily emerge stirrings of sub-nationalism that _________________ local histories, linguistic identities, and an _________________ , heterogeneous heritage. Add to this imminent elections, and the potential dividends from the clash of a Kannadiga David against the Hindi Goliath should be patent at once.
secure, separateevince, identicalevoke, eclecticdivulge, uniformAll are CorrectOption C
- Old ghosts laid to rest were _________________ , and schisms that didn’t exist were suddenly invented. India is, after all, a mosaic of hues and cultures, and to turn it into a single shade and one tedious colour is not only misguided, it is tragic. In Sivaprasad’s day, he _________________ Hindi so the “whole of India north of the Krishna (could be)…united by one common bond of language.”
extinguish, partisanresurrected, championedkill, cohortsuppress, stalwartAll are CorrectOption
Direction : In each question below a sentence is given with two blanks in each. Each question is followed by four options with two words in each. You have to select that option as your answer which can fill both the blanks of the sentence.