State Bank of India (SBI) is going to conduct examination for its recruitment for the post of Probationary Officers (SBI PO 2018) for a total of 2000 vacancies.
The examination will be held in three phases i.e. Preliminary Examination, Main Examination and Group Exercise & Interview. The Preliminary Exam is scheduled on 1st, 7th & 8th of July 2018. Details of the exam are as under:
Practice the questions so as to familiarize yourself with the pattern of questions to be asked in the exam.
Directions(Q.1-5) In each of the following questions, a sentence with four words in bold type is given. One or more than one of these four words may be either wrongly spelt or inappropriate in the context of the sentence. Find out the word(s) which is/are wrongly spelt or inappropriate. If all the words given in bold are incorrectly spelt and also inappropriate in the context of the sentence, mark ‘E’ as your answer.
- Trump had three main problems with JCPOA: a) The deal does not have binded(a) restrictions on Iran’s ballistic missile programme; b) many of the restrictions have sunset clauses; and c) the deal does nothing to prevent(b) Iranian sponsorship(c) of terrorism in its border(d).
Only a & dOnly b & cOnly c & dAll except dAll of theseOption A
binded = binding; border = region
- Indian roads are usually characterized(a) by poor infrastructure and cogestion(b) which affect travel time and road safety. This is a big hindrance(c) in economic development and leads to inefficiency in the transportation(d) of goods and services across the country.
Only a & dOnly bOnly b & cOnly c & dAll of theseOption B
cogestion = congestion
- Ever since Narendra Modi enthusiast(a) the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) to an audacious(b) win in the 16th general election in 2014, every electoral contest, including panchayat-level polls, has inquired(c) a high profile. Nothing different(d) for Karnataka.
Only a & bOnly bOnly c & aAll except dAll of theseOption C
enthusiast = inspired(to encourage) inquired = acquired
- FPIs can now buy bonds with residual(a) maturity of less than one year across government and corporate(b) issuers, subject to a ceiling of 20% investment by that FPI across all categories(c) of bonds. On 4 May, RBI announced that it would conduct open market operations (OMOs) to the tone(d) of Rs10,000 crore.
Only a & dOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly dAll of theseOption D
tone = tune
- It all began with the infamous(a) press conference where the four senior-most judges rebelled(b) against their head, the Chief Justice of India (CJI) Dipak Misra. And since then, it seems every branch(c) of government has entered a perverse(d) race to the bottom.
Only a & dOnly b & cAll except cNo Correction RequiredAll of theseOption D
almostlump-sumsectionaggregateAll are CorrectOption D
outcomereverberationfallouteffectAll are CorrectOption E
risksslippageschancesskidsAll are CorrectOption B
linesareasspherestargetsAll are CorrectOption A
anglenookcoincornerAll are CorrectOption D
turn the corner = pass the critical point and start to improve.
Directions: In the passage given below there are 5 blanks. Every blank has four alternative words given in options (A),(B),(C), and (D). You have to tell which word is APPROPRIATE according to the context. If all are appropriate then mark your answer as “E”.
Listed companies have managed to report fairly decent earnings growth for the March quarter of FY18 compared to the same period a year ago. But when the performance of banks is taken in to account, the numbers turn quite bleak. While ____1____ revenue was 14 per cent higher compared to the March 2017 quarter for the 541 companies that have announced their Q4 results for this fiscal, profit was sharply down 15 per cent for this universe. This is in sharp contrast to the third quarter of FY18 when profit growth was very strong with companies emerging from the negative ____2____ of GST rollout. The contraction in earnings for the first set of companies has been led by banks and financial sector. If the results of banks and NBFCs are excluded, the profit has grown 13 per cent.
It is obvious from the earnings numbers that the banking sector is under stress. The RBI’s February circular that removed the old restructuring schemes and put forth a revised framework for recognising stressed accounts has resulted in sharp increases in ____3____ in the March quarter, resulting in many banks reporting significant losses. With lingering concerns over under-reporting of stressed assets, doubts over the recoverability of the loans under IBC and the uncertainty over the new RBI norms requiring banks to report one-day default, the pressure on the banking sector can continue for few more quarters. Some private banks have, however, managed to perform well due to strong loan growth and dominance of corporate lending. Apart from banks, power, telecom and smaller steel companies are also displaying stressed bottom ____4____ . But many of the other sectors in the listed universe are continuing to report good earnings growth. Consumption driven sectors such as automobiles, FMCG and consumer durables have been doing brisk business that is reflected in good earnings growth. Many real estate companies also appear to have turned the ____5____ .