State Bank of India (SBI) is going to conduct examination for its recruitment for the post of Probationary Officers (SBI PO 2018) for a total of 2000 vacancies.
The examination will be held in three phases i.e. Preliminary Examination, Main Examination and Group Exercise & Interview. The Preliminary Exam is scheduled on 1st, 7th & 8th of July 2018. Details of the exam are as under:
Practice the questions so as to familiarize yourself with the pattern of questions to be asked in the exam.
Direction : In each question below a sentence is given with two blanks in each. Each question is followed by four options with two words in each. You have to select that option as your answer which can fill both the blanks of the sentence.
- On a dark winter night, a ghost walks the ____________________ of Elsinore Castle in Denmark. Discovered first by a pair of watchmen, then by the scholar Horatio, the ghost ____________________ the recently deceased King Hamlet, whose brother Claudius has inherited the throne and married the king’s widow, Queen Gertrude.
defences, resemblesforts, resemblesramparts, resemblesbastions, resemblesAll are CorrectOption C
ramparts = a defensive wall of a castle or walled city, having a broad top with a walkway and typically a stone parapet.
- Claudius and Gertrude worry about the prince’s ____________________ behavior and attempt to discover its cause. They employ a pair of Hamlet’s friends, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, to ____________________ him.
erratic, watchunpredictable, watchcapricious, watchwhimsical, watchAll are CorrectOption E
erratic = not even or regular in pattern or movement; unpredictable.
- Hamlet goes to ____________________ his mother, in whose bedchamber Polonius has hidden behind a ____________________ . Hearing a noise from behind the tapestry, Hamlet believes the king is hiding there.
affront, stewencounter, loomface, hodgepodgeconfront, tapestryAll are CorrectOption D
tapestry = a piece of thick textile fabric with pictures or designs formed by weaving coloured weft threads or by embroidering on canvas, used as a wall hanging or soft furnishing.
- When Horatio and the king receive letters from Hamlet indicating that the prince has returned to Denmark after pirates attacked his ship en route to England, Claudius ____________________ a plan to use Laertes’ desire for revenge to ____________________ Hamlet’s death.
annihilates, tiewrecks, planconcocts, secureclanks, forfeitAll are CorrectOption C
concocts = create or devise (a story or plan).
- Fortinbras is stunned by the ____________________ sight of the entire royal family lying ____________________ on the floor dead. He moves to take power of the kingdom. Horatio, fulfilling Hamlet’s last request, tells him Hamlet’s tragic story.
gruesome, sprawledhorrible, plumbeddreadful, exaltedabominable, firmedAll are CorrectOption A
gruesome = causing repulsion or horror; grisly. extremely unpleasant. sprawled = sit, lie, or fall with one’s arms and legs spread out in an ungainly way.
- Othello begins on a street in Venice, in the midst of an argument between Roderigo, a rich man, and Iago. Roderigo has been paying Iago to help him in his suit to Desdemona. But Roderigo has just learned that Desdemona has married Othello, a general whom Iago begrudgingly _______________________.
a. turns into labarum
b. serves as ensign
c. impersonates commanderOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly bAll are CorrectOption B
ensign = a standard-bearer./ is a junior rank of a commissioned officer in the armed forces of some countries, normally in the infantry or navy
- Not long afterward, Brabanzio arrives with Roderigo and others, and accuses Othello of stealing his daughter by witchcraft. When he finds out that Othello is on his way to speak with the duke, -Brabanzio decides to go along and accuse Othello before the ____________________ .
a. gathered council
b. accumulated evasion
c. assembled senateOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly cAll are CorrectOption C
- The duke says that Othello must go to Cyprus to aid in the defense against the Turks, who are ____________________ the island. Desdemona insists that she accompany her husband on his trip, and preparations are made for them to depart that night.
a. headed for
c. power throughOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly aAll are CorrectOption A
- Iago assures Roderigo that as soon as Desdemona’s “____________________ with the act of sport,” she will lose interest in Othello and seek sexual satisfaction elsewhere.
a. rake is dampened
b. blood is made dull
c. soul is attenuatedOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly cAll are CorrectOption B
- When Othello demands to know who began the fight, Iago ____________________ to implicate his “friend” Cassio, but he ultimately tells the whole story. Othello then strips Cassio of his rank of lieutenant. Cassio is extremely upset, and he laments to Iago, once everyone else has gone, that his reputation has been ruined forever.
a. pretends acceded
b. feigns reluctance
c. shams glibbestOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly bAll are CorrectOption D
Directions: In each question a sentence is given followed by a blank. Each blank is followed by three options and you have to determine which option can be used in place of blank to make it a meaningful sentence and mark it as your answer.