State Bank of India (SBI) is going to conduct examination for its recruitment for the post of Probationary Officers (SBI PO 2018) for a total of 2000 vacancies.
The examination will be held in three phases i.e. Preliminary Examination, Main Examination and Group Exercise & Interview. The Preliminary Exam is scheduled on 1st, 7th & 8th of July 2018. Details of the exam are as under:
Practice the questions so as to familiarize yourself with the pattern of questions to be asked in the exam.
Directions: In the passage given below there are 10 blanks. Every blank has four alternative words given in options (A),(B),(C), and (D). You have to tell which word is APPROPRIATE according to the context. If all are appropriate then mark your answer as “E”.
Loftily as they may ___1___ the profit motive, Britain’s judges are, on a national level, money-spinners. English law is often specified as the one under which commercial contracts are to be interpreted and ___2___. And disputes often end up being heard in British courts. But, like any business, the law is competitive, and other jurisdictions want to ___3___ a share of this market. London is mounting its defences.
It has several hard-to-beat advantages: the use of English; a reputation for fairness; the centuries of precedent that ___4___ predictability. Richard Caird, a partner at Dentons, a global law firm, notes that a foreign company can expect an impartial decision in an English court, even if it is ___5___ against a British firm. Over 70% of cases in the English commercial courts involve a foreign party. In 2015, Britain had a £3.4bn ($5.2bn) positive balance of payments on legal services.
scrutinisedisdaindeferencebenevolenceAll are CorrectOption B
obligatoryimposedenforcedcoercedAll are CorrectOption E
ransomreliefreleasesnatchAll are CorrectOption D
lendabstainbestowneedAll are CorrectOption A
evenpittedbumpedflushAll are CorrectOption B
- One way for other financial centres, such as Dubai and Singapore, to compete is by becoming ________________ —by agreeing to abide by the decision of a tribunal, disputants can bypass courts entirely. But as Philip Rubens of Teacher Stern, a law firm in London, points out, such tribunals create no binding precedent.
state of the Russia investigationhubs for arbitrationhave the power to set the termsoften not having the story publishedAll are CorrectOption B
- Some new procedures ________________ for Financial List cases. In ordinary commercial courts, for example, different parts of a trial are heard by different judges. On the Financial List, one judge hears the entire case. The jury is out on whether the new system improves justice.
argue that using unnamed sourcesknow where it comes fromhave been introducedthey are than truly informing and enlightening readersAll are CorrectOption C
- Mr Caird notes that the true threat to Britain’s courts will be its departure from the EU. He questions whether financial institutions that move operations to the continent as a result of Brexit will still use British courts. Brexiteers ________________ of European judges on British affairs after Brexit.
because of all the Trump-Russia storiesother reporters can’t be influentialwritten a fair number of storiesworry about the influenceAll are CorrectOption D
- According to The Wall Street Journal, the whitelist deals were struck with companies including Royal Bank of Canada and Nissan Motor Co., who advertised on Facebook or were valuable for other reasons. All the sources for the ________________.
dispute are leakingstory were unnamedinformation that favorsstream of storiesAll are CorrectOption B
- Facebook said a software bug led some users to post publicly by default regardless of their previous settings. The ________________as many as 14 million users over several days in May. The problem, which Facebook said it has fixed, is the latest privacy scandal for the world’s largest social media company.
glitch persuadedbug affectedvexed disuadedpestered effectedAll are CorrectOption B
Direction : Fill in the blanks with the suitable options.