State Bank of India (SBI) is going to conduct examination for its recruitment for the post of Probationary Officers (SBI PO 2018) for a total of 2000 vacancies.
The examination will be held in three phases i.e. Preliminary Examination, Main Examination and Group Exercise & Interview. The Preliminary Exam is scheduled on 1st, 7th & 8th of July 2018. Details of the exam are as under:
Practice the questions so as to familiarize yourself with the pattern of questions to be asked in the exam.
Directions: In the passage given below there are 5 blanks. Every blank has four alternative words given in options (A),(B),(C), and (D). You have to tell which word is APPROPRIATE according to the context. If all are appropriate then mark your answer as “E”.
It is with a sinking feeling that taxpayers must have received the Finance Minister’s exhortation to ___1___ up India’s tax-to-GDP ratio by a further 1.5 percentage points over the next four years. Indian taxpayers are already an over-burdened lot, coughing up high rates of direct taxes, GST and a variety of cesses, apart from putting up with compliance requirements that get more complex by the year. The NDA regime has also been on a tax collection ___2___ in the last couple of years, following up its ‘surgical strike’ on high-value notes, with sweeping powers to the taxman to issue demand notices and ___3___ search and seizure operations. For the last three years, India’s tax collections have grown at an exceptionally ___4___ pace at a time of modest income increases and sluggish economic growth. Therefore, the Centre should now be looking to ___5___ its sky-high tax rates instead of demanding even higher pay-outs.
mitigateratcheteaselightenAll are CorrectOption B
repressedneutralizeoverdrivereactAll are CorrectOption C
neglectcontinuedoconductAll are CorrectOption D
brisktemperatesluggishslowAll are CorrectOption A
accrueaggrandizedrawlpruneAll are CorrectOption D
- India’s direct tax ____________________ have expanded at 13 per cent per annum in the last three years while nominal GDP grew at just 10 per cent. GST collections, despite persisting refund glitches, have recently hit the ₹1 lakh-crore monthly target. Income tax return filers have vaulted from 3.9 crore to 6.8 crore.
blightenflimmoxintroducedmop-upsAll are CorrectOption D
- The stepping down of Arvind Subramanian marks the third high-profile policy thought leader’s exit from the Modi government, after Raghuram Rajan and Arvind Panagariya. In his near-four year term as Chief Economic Advisor, Subramanian spoke his mind on a number of key issues, perhaps perceiving that he should act as a/an _______________________ within the government, to do justice to his role.
brave soldierindependent voicehigh pitchKurdish partyAll are CorrectOption B
- It was in the Surveys that Subramanian left his stamp. He transformed the annual economic policy document of the finance ministry from being a dour overview of policies and events to a springboard for fresh ideas. Hence, ‘universal basic income’ was conceived as a social safety net for an economy that __________________ labour market reforms.
was in favour ofacts likely to dowants to doseeks to pursueAll are CorrectOption D
- Thoothukudi’s woes seem never-ending. After the protests, deaths from police firing and closure of Vedanta’s copper smelter that lead to loss of thousands of jobs, now comes news of an acid leak at the plant which, ___________________ , can cause harm to people and the environment.
if left soloif unleft caredif left not treatedif left unattendedAll are CorrectOption D
- Two developments are simultaneously unfolding in the banking sector: the Centre and the Reserve Bank are trying to push credit through various measures while going ____________________ lending malpractices. There are feeble indications that credit to industry has picked up.
ambitious to overlookconclusive to seeall-out to checklikely to seeAll are CorrectOption C
Directions: Fill in the blanks.