State Bank of India (SBI) is going to conduct examination for its recruitment for the post of Probationary Officers (SBI PO 2018) for a total of 2000 vacancies.
The examination will be held in three phases i.e. Preliminary Examination, Main Examination and Group Exercise & Interview. The Preliminary Exam is scheduled on 1st, 7th & 8th of July 2018. Details of the exam are as under:
Practice the questions so as to familiarize yourself with the pattern of questions to be asked in the exam.
Directions: In the passage given below there are 5 blanks. Every blank has four alternative words given in options (A),(B),(C), and (D). You have to tell which word is APPROPRIATE according to the context. If all are appropriate then mark your answer as “E”.
On May 4th William Baumol, one of the great economists of the 20th century, died. Mr Baumol, who ___1___ into his 90s, published more than 500 papers across a dazzling array of topics; his best-known work, describing “cost disease”, was essentially a side-project. He was a scholar whose ___2___ thought on a sleepless night ___3___ change how people see the world. Mr Baumol was born in the South Bronx, attended New York public schools and took an undergraduate degree at the College of the City of New York. Shaped by his family’s left-wing views, in high school he read Karl Marx, which ___4___ an interest in economics. He did his PhD at the London School of Economics; he defended his dissertation “over whiskies and sodas at the Reform Club”. He spent most of his long career at Princeton University. He ___5___ on the shortlist for a Nobel prize; sadly, death means he cannot receive one.
kept workingwas workingworkedhad workedAll are CorrectOption A
continualstrayfarraginouscohesiveAll are CorrectOption B
mightshouldcouldwouldAll are CorrectOption C
luminiscentincadescentignitedkindledAll are CorrectOption E
had been longhad long beenhad been so longhad longAll are CorrectOption B
- Mr Baumol did better, casting entrepreneurs as crafty strivers dedicated to raising their personal status, who plot their ______________ based on the incentives they face.
way of lifecourse of lifecourse in lifestyle of lifeAll are correctOption C
- Mr Baumol helped move economics beyond the narrow ideal of perfect competition by introducing the idea of contestable markets, in which competitive pressure comes from the worry that rivals will ________________ for a market if incumbents are anything other than ruthlessly efficient.
swooped for vyingswooping to vieswoop into vieswoop in to vieAll are CorrectOption D
- Cost disease is a powerful but frequently misunderstood concept. Sectors in the low-productivity bucket are not necessarily _____________ to remain there.
fortunatedoomeddesignedplannedAll are CorrectOption B
- In the 1990s he tackled trade, and found that in the presence of economies of scale, production ________________ in the “wrong” place—a country with an underlying comparative advantage might still fail to dislodge production from incumbent exporters.
would stuckcould stuckcould get stuckwould get stuckAll are CorrectOption C
- The report reveals that Indian citizens continue to be ____________________ surveillance by their government on an astonishing scale — despite the stressed need to have tighter laws on what and how various agencies can intercept.
prone tosubjected tosubject toprobed toAll are CorrectOption C
Directions: Fill in the blanks.