State Bank of India (SBI) is going to conduct examination for its recruitment for the post of Probationary Officers (SBI PO 2018) for a total of 2000 vacancies.
The examination will be held in three phases i.e. Preliminary Examination, Main Examination and Group Exercise & Interview. The Preliminary Exam is scheduled on 1st, 7th & 8th of July 2018. Details of the exam are as under:
Practice the questions so as to familiarize yourself with the pattern of questions to be asked in the exam.
Directions: Which of the WORD A, B, C, and D given below DEFINES the phrase printed in bold in the sentence. If all defines the phrase then mark E as the answer.
- They asked the spectators to keep off.
encroachavoidpoachfraternizeAll are CorrectOption B
keep off = to not touch something, or to prevent something from touching something
- I had to lay off running for several months.
dischargebeginemployaspireAll are CorrectOption A
Lay off = to end someone’s employment, especially temporarily, because there is not enough work for them
- Well you won’t be able to go off gallivanting around like this when there’s a baby to be taken care of.
hoistexplodecomedepartAll are CorrectOption D
Go off = to explode, or to be fired
- Nowhere do dress down days mean that you can come to work in your grubbiest clothes.
complimentattirearrayingprinkAll are CorrectOption C
Dress down = to wear clothes that are more informal than the clothes that you usually wear
- They brush off Elijah and board the ship, but they see no sign of the mysterious figures they saw boarding earlier.
focusdismissattendinveigledAll are CorrectOption B
Brush off = to refuse to listen to someone, or to accept that something might be true or important
- The idea that a city’s spaces belong to all its residents must be _________________ in its long-term plans. A salutary feature of ‘Mumbai Development Plan 2014-34’ is that it makes a concerted effort to open up the heart of Mumbai to affordable housing, rather than ___________________ ordinary folk to places some 50 km away in the mainland.
mirrored, inveigledreflected, banishpondered, entertaincogitated, includeAll are CorrectOption B
- The present policy draft does not ____________________ any specific area for affordable housing in the NDZ; instead, it incentivises a landowner to part with two-thirds of his property by allowing him a floor space _____________________ of three (ratio of built-up area to the size of the plot), instead of the present FSI norm of 0.2 on NDZ land.
delimit, disarrangerestrict, disorderdemarcate, indexcircumscribe, contraindicationAll are CorrectOption C
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi is a great believer in ‘personal’ diplomacy where the leaders of two countries get together and _________________ a mutual understanding, the details of which can then be worked out by teams of diplomats. But his attempts to strike a closer relationship with China have never gone according to plan, with border _________________ and disputes over India’s efforts to sanction Pakistan queering the pitch.
knock, showdownsattack, contestsclout, brawlsstrike, skirmishesAll are CorrectOption D
- On a different note, Modi’s also keen to present a diplomatic victory as the country moves into an election year and he also wants to _______________ there are no further border stand-offs. And, for their part, the Chinese are also eager to see that India does not get too deeply ________________ in the Quad, the informal grouping of the US, Japan, Australia and India, that clearly aims to contain China.
ensure, involvedguarantee, simpleassure, facilepromise, alienatedAll are CorrectOption A
- The leaders of North and South Korea have just met and Kim Jong Un is even __________________ to meet President Trump in the very near future. It can’t be entirely unconnected Xi decided it would be good to put away the _______________ with India for the moment. It may be too much to expect anything extraordinary from unstructured talks of the kind that are now taking place in Wuhan. But, coming so soon after Doklam, it is a huge step in the right direction.
anticipated, weaponforeseen, axeexpected, hatchetpresumed, armAll are CorrectOption C
Direction (6-10): In each question below a sentence is given with two blanks in each. Each question is followed by four options with two words in each. You have to select that option as your answer which can fill both the blanks of the sentence.