Directions(1-5): A sentence with two blanks is given, each blank indicating that something has been omitted. Choose the pair of words that best fits the meaning of the sentence as a whole.
- One of the major issues with the examination system is that it ______ to a spirit of _______ competition among the students.
Results, defectiveAccompanies, adequateDevelops, intenseDevelops, intenseLeads, unhealthyOption E
- The accused was let off on the ____ that he will not commit the same ____ again.
Thing, crimeCondition, thingSituation, offencePromise, thingCondition, offenceOption E
- ______ related to pollution have affected us intensely in recent years. Many people go abroad to get clean air and visit _______ beaches.
Issue, pureProblems, unspoiltProblem, purifiedAreas, freshDifficulties, unspoiltOption B
- Two youths were killed and four others were _____ when their two-wheelers collided at a traffic _____ near north-west Delhi.
injured, intersectionslipped, pointescaped, interjectiondied, signalsaved, lightOption A
- Although religion does not _____ the accusation of wealth, the tenor of its teaching is to _____ an attitude of indifference of worldly things.
proclaim, prohibitmanifest, inducemanifest, prouddealing, developallow, criticiseOption B
- No evidence _______ any charge against the accused.
a) bears out
d) regretsa-bb-ca-cc-db-dOption C
Bear out means to support the truth of something.
Display means to exhibit.
Prove means to establish evidence.
Regret means to be sorry about.
- He concentrated on encouraging the ________ horse to head back the way they came.
d) shya-bb-cc-dd-ab-dOption B
Temporal- relating to worldly as opposed to spiritual affairs; secular; relating to time.
- Several committee members expressed their intense ____________ for the chairman.
d) affectiona-bb-cc-dd-ab-dOption C
The given sentence is free of any contextual boundary hence; either a positive or a negative word can fit in.
Fiend means an evil spirit or demon.
Withdrawal means removal.
- Tom was severely ___________ by his boss for showing up late for work.
d) assisteda-bb-cc-dd-aa-cOption A
Rebuke means to scold.
Scold means remonstrate with or rebuke (someone) angrily.
Admire means to praise
Assist means to help.
- The king _____ after being surrounded by the enemies.
d) surrendereda-bb-cc-dd-ab-dOption E
Rescue means to save someone
Lay down means to put away something
Revoke means to officially cancel something
Surrender means to give up.
Directions(6-10): In the given question, one statement with a blank along with four words is given. Two of the given words can fit into the given blank. Five options with various combinations of these words are given. Choose the combination of the words that best fits into the blank.