Directions(1-5): In the given question, a statement divided into different segments is given. The first segment is fixed : rearrange the other segments to form a coherent statement. If the given statement is already arranged or the correct sequence does not match any of the given sequence, mark (e). i.e., “None of the above” as your answer.
- In a nation of billion-plus/ is often seen as a sure-fire way to prosperity (P)/and an acute shortage of qualified doctors, (Q)/ getting a seat at a medical college (R)/ people with woefully inadequate access to healthcare (S).
SPQRSRPQSQRPSPRQNone of the aboveOption C
- Managing the electricity/ needs of a country (P)/that is already dealing (Q)/ with water scarcity (R)/ will be a challenge (S).
QPRSSPRQQRPSSRPQNone of the aboveOption E
- Disqualification from contest / to keep those convicted by criminal courts (P)/ is a civil disability (Q)/ created by electoral law (R)/from entering elected offices(S).
SPRQQRPSQPSRRSPQNone of the aboveOption B
- While there is no denying that/, it is important that you (P)/ recognize the signs of stress in your behaviour (Q)/ the world loves a winner (R)/ and be healthy enough to enjoy your success. (S)
RPQSQRPSPQSRQSPRNone of the aboveOption A
- Governments subsidise / in the expectation of (P) / in the new hotels and restaurants (Q) / tourism projects (R) / increasing employment opportunities (S).
PRSQPRQSRPSQQPRSNone of the aboveOption C
- To protect his interest, the producer must have very clearly _______ in the agreement that the film should be an exact _______ of the original with minor variations.
figured, facsimilestates, imitatedoutlined, remakeunderlined, miniatureNone of theseOption C
To highlight something or to give summary of something is to outline. Here, the producer clearly summarised in the agreement that the film should be an exact “remake” of the original one with minute changes.
- It’s all about playing patiently in the first hour as the wicket is ________ to ________ fast bowlers. But thereafter as the sun comes out shining, so do the batsmen.
evolved, helpexpected, assistfound, moveremained, pushNone of theseOption B
- If we have a data of the faecal metabolites, we can compare how it changes during some metabolic _________ and this can serve as simple _________.
arrangements, symbolschanges, examplesalterations, blueprintsdisorders, signaturesNone of theseOption D
Out of the four alternatives, Option B and option D seem to be confusing because both seem to fit into the blanks. However, option B will get eliminated as it will lead to the repetition because of the use of word “changes” in the preceding part of the blank.
- Hafiz says that it told a _________ story of how although mermaids are present in stories and spoken of with ________, they actually don’t exist.
poignant, wonderconcocted, ponderedshort, thoughtbogus, mannerNone of theseOption A
The word “poignant” means ‘evoking a keen sense of sadness or regret’. By reading the context following the first blank, it can be inferred that Hafiz is trying others to know the reality that mermaids actually don’t exist.
Since it’s all about the story, all the words that have been suggested can fit into the blank grammatically but not contextually. Thus, option C and D can be eliminated. Also, the second blank calls for the use of a noun rather than a verb. Hence, option A is the best suited response.
- The government’s _________ to privatise the national carrier came a cropper last summer when no private player came forward to ________ interest after the government floated a tender for AI’s disinvestment.
confirm, indicationraise, realhear, smartattempt, evincenone of theseOption D
Since the word “government’s” easily indicates that the word that fill up the first blank should be a noun, option A, B and C can be easily eliminated. Thus, option D will be the correct alternative since the word for first blank .i.e. ‘attempt’ makes contextual sense here.
Directions(6-10): A sentence with two blanks is given, each blank indicating that something has been omitted. Choose the pair of words that best fits in the sentence.