Directions (1-5): In each of the questions given below, a sentence is given, divided into parts. One of the parts may contain an error. You are required to identify the part that contains an error, and mark it as the answer. Ignore errors of punctuation. In case the sentence is correct as it is, then mark option (E), as your answer.
- Scientists last month, unveiled a previous unknown species of giant pterosaur, the first creatures with a backbone to fly under their own power.
Scientists last month,unveileda previous unknown species of giant pterosaur,the first creatures with a backboneto fly under their own power.No ErrorOption B
Replace ‘previous’ by ‘previously’. ‘Previous’ is an adjective,whereas ‘previously’ is an adverb which is grammatically correct in this context.
- The newly discovered animal of the family, identified with remains found in northeastern Utah, had a wing-span of 1.5 metres (five feet) and 112 teeth, including fang-like spikes sticking out near the snout.
The newly discovered animal of the family,identified with remains found in northeastern Utah,had a wing-span of 1.5 meters (five feet) and 112 teeth,including fang-like spikes sticking out near the snout.No ErrorOption B
Replace ‘with’ by ‘through’. In this sentence,we need to specify the source of identification of the newly discovered animal, therefore ‘through’ will be the correct preposition to be used here.
- The spectacular disaster this year also underscore the role of the government as the insurer of last resort for the average citizen.
The spectacular disaster this yearalso underscore the role ofthe government as the insurer of last resortfor the average citizen.No ErrorOption B
‘Underscores’ should be used instead of ‘underscore’, as the subject in question is singular, i.e. ‘disaster’.
- It is now up to the administrators of the future to dispel Justice Lodha’s apprehensions that this may lead to manipulation of votes.
It is now up to the administratorsof the future to dispelJustice Lodha’s apprehensions that thismay lead to manipulation of votes.No ErrorOption E
- It was Naipaul’s travels, however, that spanned the greater part of his writing life as he crafts his own way of seeing the world.
It was Naipaul’s travels,however, that spanned the greater partof his writing life as he craftshis own way of seeing the world.No ErrorOption C
Replace ‘crafts’ by ‘crafted’.Talking about past, the verb needs to be in the past tense too.
- The problem of excessive packaging has been ___________ due to the growth of priority customer services that place a premium on ultra-fast delivery which do not allow for consolidated delivery of packages.
(A) Aggravated (B) Alleviated (C) Highlight (D) Exacerbated (E) Present (F) AmusedA-CA-DB-CC-DE-FOption B
Exacerbate and aggravate are synonyms which mean – infuriating / provoking / heightening or making something worse.
- Any law that aims to regulate e-commerce packaging must __________ critical issues.
(A) Determined (B) Address (C) Employ (D) Expressed (E) Undertake (F) RejectC-DB-DA-BB-EC-FOption D
Address or undertake mean the same, i.e. focusing on something important.
- Barring a few misses, overall the Government has taken several bold moves to __________ the economy which have helped improve productivity dynamics and laid the foundation for sustainable growth.
(A) Remove (B) Relaxing (C) Revive (D) Suppress (E) Restore (F) AgitateB-DC-DA-BE-FC-EOption E
Restore and revive bring out the same meaning – to encourage or bring back to the original position.; Supress and agitate are negative words which are contextually inappropriate.
- At present, where most of the telecom operators are struggling to deal with declining revenues and rising debt, the department of telecommunication released the draft , that ___________ an investment of $100 billion and four million jobs by 2022.
(A) Disclose (B) Address (C) Envisages (D) Embolden (E) Envisions (F) AppreciateC-EA-DB-ED-FC-FOption A
Envisage / Envision- visualize or considering an idea or thought.
- After failing thrice in her attempts, in spite of putting many efforts, Swati was _____________ of hope.
(A) Thought (B) Need (C) Alone (D) Bereft (E) Manage (F) DevoidA-FC-EB-DD-FE-FOption D
Bereft / devoid – lacking or missing something.
Directions(6-10): The following questions consist of a single sentence with one blank only. You are given six words denominated by A, B, C, D, E and F as answer choices and from the six choices you have to pick two correct answers, either of which will make the sentence meaningfully complete.