Direction (1-5): In each question below a sentence is given with two blanks in each. Each question is followed by four options with two words in each. You have to select that option as your answer which can fill both the blanks of the sentence.
- The Supreme Court’s interim order asking political parties to disclose, to the Election Commission in sealed covers, details of the donations they have ___________ through anonymous electoral bonds is an inadequate and belated response to the serious concerns raised about the opaque scheme. The scheme, under which one can purchase bonds of various denominations from a designated bank and deposit them in the accounts of any political party, had been challenged in the apex court a year ago. When the matter was taken up last week, it was considered that the time available was too limited for an in-depth ___________ .
made, illustratingreceived, hearingacquired, dilapidatingrecognized, feebleAll are CorrectOption B
- Modernising colonial era laws is a long-delayed project, but the draft Indian Forest Act, 2019 is ___________ short of being a transformative piece of legislation. The original law, the Indian Forest Act, 1927, is an incongruous relic, its provisions having been drafted to suit the objectives of a colonial power that had extractive uses for forests in mind. A new law enacted should make a departure and be aimed to ___________ India’s forests, and ensure the well-being of traditional forest-dwellers and biodiversity in these landscapes.
mournfully, abatelamentably, abbreviatewoefully, expanddeplorably, waneAll are CorrectOption C
- To the long line of private airline carcasses dotting the bleak landscape of Indian aviation, one more may soon be added. Jet Airways ___________ a temporary halt of its operations from Wednesday night as funds to keep the airline going dried up. Despite intense lobbying by the bankrupt airline, banks stood firm on their decision to not release emergency funds to ___________ operations until a white knight is found.
pledged, repudiateadvertised, bullydeclared, negateannounced, sustainAll are CorrectOption D
- China’s economy is showing signs of a ___________ . According to figures released by its National Bureau of Statistics on Wednesday, the Chinese economy grew at 6.4% in the first quarter of the current year compared to the same period last year. While this rate of growth is equal to the pace registered in the December quarter and faster than economists’ expectations of a 6.3% expansion, it is still slower than the growth rate of 6.8% recorded in the same period last year. Retail sales and factory output also showed strong growth ___________ .
destroy, impulsionlanguish, velocitywither, impetusrebound, momentumAll are CorrectOption D
- The ICC World Cup is cricket’s holy ___________ . The quadrennial event played through the One Day International (ODI) format often shapes the legacy of squads and players. It is the one championship where all leading Test-playing teams ___________ , and once a unit wins the World Cup, the ambiguity ends and arguments cease. With the 12th edition set to commence in England on May 30, there had been immense interest in the Indian team’s composition. The selectors, led by M.S.K. Prasad, have decided to give an experienced crew to Virat Kohli.
grail, congregatechalice, scattercalyx, dispersedraught, cleaveAll are CorrectOption A
- (A) The court notes in its order that the case give rise to “weighty issues which have a tremendous bearing /(B) on the sanctity of the electoral process in the country”. /(C) Given this premise, it could be asked whether the judicial intervention could not have come earlier. /(D) However, all it has done now is to ensure that its interim arrangement does not ‘tilt the balance’ in favour of either side.
give = gives
- (A) The India’s forests play a key role in moderating the lives of not just the adivasis and other traditional dwellers, /(B) but everyone in the subcontinent, through their impact on the climate and monsoons. /(C) Their health can be improved only through collaboration. /(D) Any new forest law must, therefore, aim to reduce conflicts, incentivise tribals and stop diversion for non-forest uses.
The India’s = India’s
- (A) The collapse of Jet has caused turbulence in the market and also raised some serious questions on why /(B) the domestic airline industry is proving to be so perilous for enterprises. /(C) There have been more than half-a-dozen private airline companies that have fallen by the wayside in the last decade and more, /(D) and it is well-known how Air India is propped up with government support.
on = over
- (A) Gross domestic product growth that is generated largely by increased lending, however, /(B) poses the risk of losing momentum once the stimulus is withdrawn. /(C) Beijing, of late, has once again been prodding its banks to boost lending to public and private businesses, /(D) apart from implementing various fiscal measures to boost consumer spending.
- (A) The Indian team can deliver, but it could face tough opponents in hosts England and Australia, /(B) bolstered by the return of Steve Smith and David Warner. Kohli, Dhoni, Rohit Sharma and Shikhar Dhawan will be /(C) under pressure to fire the bat; the bowling, /(D) featuring the remarkable Jasprit Bumrah, has to strike.
fire the bat = fire with the bat
Directions(6-10): In each of the following questions there are sentences. There is an error in one of the parts. Mark the option which contains error parts as your answer. If no part contains error mark option E as your answer.