Directions(1-5): In each of the following questions there are sentences. There is error in one of the parts. Mark the option which contains error parts as your answer. If no part contains error mark option E as your answer.
- (A) With the seventh phase of polling for the 17th general election is over, /(B) the anxious wait is now for counting day. /(C) The election dates were announced on March 10, /(D) and the first phase of polling took place on April 11.
election is over = election over
- (A) Is one decade of peace enough to undo the devastating effects of a civil war that lasted nearly three decades? /(B) As Sri Lanka completed 10 years since the brutal and decisive war against /(C) Tamil militants came to an end, it must be acknowledged that the country has not achieved much tangible progress towards ethnic reconciliation, /(D) accountability for war-time excesses and constitutional reform that includes a political solution.
completed = completes
- (A) The estimates for foreign trade showing a sharp slowdown in merchandise export growth in April, /(B) to 0.64% from a year earlier, ought to add in concerns about the economy. /(C) If one were to strip away the 31% surge in shipments of /(D) petroleum products to overseas markets, India’s export of goods actually contracted by over 3% in dollar terms last month.
add in = add to
- (A) On May 23, as the results of the Indian elections emerge, /(B) in Europe the world’s second largest democratic electoral process will get under way. /(C) More than 425 million voters are eligible to participate in elections which /(D) will take place over a four-day period to select 751 members of the European Parliament for a five-year term.
which = that
- (A) From pleading helplessness before the Supreme Court in enforcing the Model Code of Conduct a month ago, /(B) the Election Commission has come a long way in asserting its powers. /(C) On Wednesday it took the rare step of ordering that campaigning in West Bengal’s nine /(D) Lok Sabha constituencies that go to the polls on Sunday end earlier than scheduled.
mendedbreachedbridgedobservedAll are CorrectOption B
strengthenbolsternormaliseindemnifyAll are CorrectOption C
hesitateswonderquestionedpreemptedAll are CorrectOption D
whammyserendipityprodigycuriosityAll are CorrectOption
selectiveinclusivefiniteeliteAll are CorrectOption
Directions(6-10): In the passage given below there are 5 blanks. Every blank has four alternative words given in options (A),(B),(C), and (D). You have to tell which word is APPROPRIATE according to the context. If all are appropriate then mark your answer as “E”.
Some self-reflection is called for as the country concludes a bitterly fought election during which boundaries of civil public debate have been crossed and norms ___6___. What makes 2019 unprecedented is not that inappropriate words were used and misinformation spread, but the fact that India witnessed an increasing tendency to ___7___ these. In the 2019 campaign, the leaders of the government ___8___ a fact-based debate on its performance of five years by blocking or contaminating official data on job generation and other parameters, and successfully pushed electioneering into a fact-free zone filled with emotive and divisive issues. This was a double ___9___ for democracy. On the one hand, informed discussions have become difficult, and on the other, social tensions have risen. The outcome on Thursday remains a suspense, but the incoming Prime Minister, whoever that will be, must take the initiative to rally all Indians around a truly ___10___ and secular national agenda as soon he or she takes over.