Directions(1-5): The following statements have two blanks which are to be filled with the options given below. Choose the correct combination which can most suitably complete the sentence without altering the meaning of the statement.
- Reservation is increasingly seen as a _____________ for the adverse effects of ill-thought out development policies. In both Gujarat and Maharashtra, in spite of their economies being ___________ better, three things have been worrying the people; acute agrarian distress, stagnation in employment growth and distortions in the development trajectory.
V. observingII-IVIV-III-IVIII-VI-IIIOption C
Excuse cannot be used as it requires AN before the blank, whereas there is article A before it. In the second blank, relatively indicative of comparison is the best fit.
Reservation is increasingly seen as a remedy (cure/solution) for the adverse effects of ill-thought out development policies. In both Gujarat and Maharashtra, in spite of their economies being relatively (comparatively/fairly) better, three things have been worrying the people; acute agrarian distress, stagnation in employment growth and distortions in the development trajectory.
- The President of India ___________ his assent to the Prevention of Corruption (Amendment) Act, 2018, on July 26. The amended law shall come into ___________ as and when it is notified by the Centre.
V. WitnessIV-III-IIII-IVV-IIII-IVOption B
Accorded means gave. The consent was given by the President hence, it is the best fit in the first blank. In the second blank, ‘coming into force’ means ‘commencement’, which is intended to be conveyed in the second sentence.
The President of India accorded his assent to the Prevention of Corruption (Amendment) Act, 2018, on July 26. The amended law shall come into force as and when it is notified by the Centre.
- To __________ the bond people share with their friends, the first Sunday of August is celebrated as Friendship Day every year. On this day, friends meet each other and ___________ their togetherness.
V. markIV-IV-IIIIII-IVII-IVV-IIOption E
To mark means to indicate. Togetherness is experienced or cherished.
To mark the bond people share with their friends, the first Sunday of August is celebrated as Friendship Day every year. On this day, friends meet each other and cherish their togetherness.
- The renewed agitation by the Marathas in Maharashtra for reservation is a textbook study of how consensus ___________ the political spectrum does not guarantee reasonable policy. No major political party in the state seems to have any objection to giving reservation to the Marathas and yet a coherent policy appears _____________ if not impossible.
V. acrossIII-IIV-IIII-IIIV-IIIIV-IOption D
Across means throughout without any barriers, and when the entire spectrum is being talked about, it is the most apt usage. Elusive means difficult to achieve. When no political party is objecting reservation but YET is used indicating something opposite of what is expected in the given scenario. Thus, the policy appears far-fetched or elusive.
The renewed agitation by the Marathas in Maharashtra for reservation is a textbook study of how consensus across the political spectrum does not guarantee reasonable policy. No major political party in the state seems to have any objection to giving reservation to the Marathas and yet a coherent policy appears elusive if not impossible.
- It is no great ______________ that the powerful are embarrassed by the possibilities of democratic expression. But, thankfully, the Supreme Court ___________ that this “embarrassment” is an essential part of the democratic process.
V. recognisedIV-IIIIV-III-VIII-IIII-IVOption C
- Congress president Sonia Gandhi and party leader Rahul Gandhi on Monday _________the demise of former law minister and Governor Hansraj Bhardwaj, saying his service to the party will always be remembered. doledcondolecondoledaskedreiteratedOption C
‘Condole;’ means to express sympathy for someone. In the given blank, the past form of ‘condole’, that is, ‘condoled’ should be used. This is because the entire sentence is in the past tense.
‘Dole’ means ‘distribute shares of something’.
‘Reiterate’ means to ‘say something again or a number of times, typically for emphasis or clarity.’
- It is shocking to see Mrs. Mondal compare Ritabhari __________Sujata. abouttowithforatOption C
With’ will be used in the given blank.
‘Compare with’ is used to juxtapose two or more things with each other, looking at similarities and differences.
‘Compare to’ is used to observe or point only to likenesses between them. In other words, we are actually making a comment about their similarities.
- Nothing is so easy and inviting as the retort of abuse and sarcasm but it is a __________ and an unprofitable contest. PaltryInterestingValuableSubstantialGroundOption A
Option A is the correct answer because the sentence talks about how easy it is to react on an abuse or sarcasm and at the same time warns of if being an unprofitable or useless contest. The word that best suits the context is ‘paltry’ (unimportant or trivial). Other words do not provide the sentence with similar meaning.
- A hobby is a pursuit which interests people and hence proves to be an excellent form of ___________. ExertionContagionRecreationDispositionGrainOption C
Option C is the correct answer because the sentence introduces a hobby and tells us what it is and what it does. ‘Exertion’ means physical or mental effort; ‘contagion’ means a disease spread by close contact; ‘recreation’ means activity done for enjoyment when one is not working; ‘disposition’ means a person’s inherent qualities of mind and character; ‘grain’ means a person’s character or natural tendency. With reference to the context of the sentence, ‘recreation’ will suit the best.
- One of the most difficult things to achieve while writing fiction is the unremarkable interactions __________ characters. AboveAlongBesideBetweenActingOption D
Option D is the correct answer because the interactions happen between characters or people. Other words will not provide the sentence with any meaning.
Directions(6-10): A sentence with one blank is given, indicating that something has been omitted. Choose the word that best fits the blank appropriately.