Daily Current Affairs 12 June 2018 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
President Kovind to embark on 3 Nation Tour to Greece, Suriname, Cuba from June 16
President Ram Nath Kovind will embark on a three nation visit to Greece, Suriname and Cuba from the 16th to 22nd of this month.
- On the first leg of the visit, the President will leave for Athens followed by Suriname. On the last leg of the visit, the President will be in Cuba.
- A number of agreements and MoUs in the areas of bio technology, research and education in homeopathic medicine, traditional system of medicine and medicinal plants would be signed during the visit.
NITI Aayog selects 3,000 more schools to setup Atal Tinkering Labs
NITI Aayog’s Atal Innovation Mission, AIM, has selected 3,000 additional schools for the establishment of Atal Tinkering Labs, ATLs.
- The selected schools will receive a grant of Rs 20 lakh spread over the next five years to establish labs for nurturing innovation and entrepreneurial spirit among secondary school children across India.
- The Atal Innovation Mission is the government’s flagship initiative to promote a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship in the country.
Centre sanctions Rs 14.30 crore for Block level sports in J&K
Centre has sanctioned Rs 14.30 crore for Block level sports in Jammu and Kashmir under the ‘Khelo India’ scheme.
- An amount of Rs 10 lakh per Block will be spent in all the 143 Blocks of 22 districts of the state.
- The amount will be used to provide soft support in terms of coaches, equipments, consumables, technical support, organizing competitions and travelling expenses for the participants.
India-Nepal Joint Ex SURYA KIRAN-XIII Culminates
The 14-day long joint military training exercise SURYA KIRAN-XIII between India & Nepal culminated at Pithoragarh on June 12.
- The training culminated with a 72-hour outdoor exercise in which troops of both contingents carried out a Cordon and Search Operation in a mock counter-insurgency village.
- Besides training, both the contingents also participated in a number of extra-curricular activities including friendly Football, Basketball, Volleyball matches and a cultural event on the final day to increase the bonhomie between troops.
India to host first BIMSTEC Military Exercise in September
India will host the first military exercise of the BIMSTEC (Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation) group focussing on counter-terrorism.
- The exercise is scheduled to be held in Pune in the second week of September 2018. The theme includes counter-terrorism in semi-urban terrain and cordon and search.
- The aim of the exercise is to promote strategic alignment among the member-states and to share best practices in the area of counter-terrorism.
- BIMSTEC was set up in 1997 and includes India, Bangladesh, Bhutan Myanmar, Nepal, Sri Lanka and Thailand.
CM inaugurates Green Mizoram Day
The northeastern state of Mizoram observed the Green Mizoram Day on June 11 with government employees, students and members of NGOs planting large number of trees.
- The Green Mizoram Day is being organised every year on June 11 since 1999.
International Conference on ICT to be held in Kathmandu from June 17
An International Conference on Information and Communication Technology (ICT) will be held in Kathmandu, Nepal from June 17.
- The Theme of two day conference is “Sustainable Development Goals for Smart Society ”.
- The conference is organised by the Federation of Computer Association Nepal (CAN) which would have around 500 delegates from Japan, China, Korea, India and Nepal.
- The conference will provide a common platform to participants to exchange their knowledge and discover new insides for developing a plan of action using sustainable ICT applications. It also seeks to unleash the prospects of SMART Nepal by 2030.
China confers highest state honour on Putin
China’s President Xi Jinping has awarded the highest state honour to Russian President Vladimir Putin, a move that signals the close relationship between the two countries.
- The Friendship Medal of the People’s Republic of China was presented to Mr Putin personally by Chinese President Xi Jinping during a grand ceremony held at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing.
- Last year Putin awarded Xi the Order of St Andrew, the Apostle of the First-Called during his visit to Moscow for his distinguished service to the peoples of China and Russia.
SEBI Panel to Recommend Ways of Making Stock Market Listing Attractive for Startups
Market regulator SEBI has set up a panel to recommend the ways to make stock market listing attractive for startups.
- The group will review the present Institutional Trading Platform (ITP) framework in the current context as well as identify areas, if any, which require further changes. The group shall endeavour to submit the report to Sebi within a period of one month.
- Members of the group include representatives from the Indian Software Product Industry Round Table (iSPIRT), The Indus Entrepreneurs (TIE), the Indian Private Equity and Venture Capital Association (IVCA), law firms, merchant bankers, and stock exchanges.
- This move will open a new way for finance if entrepreneurs find it difficult to obtain capital from traditional sources of finance such as banks and financial institutions.
Deepak Raj Joshee recommended as new CJ of Nepal
The Constitutional Council of Nepal has recommended Justice Deepak Raj Joshee as new Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.
- Justice Joshee is the senior most judge and he has been heading the Supreme Court as acting chief justice after Chief Justice Gopal Parajuli resigned in March 2018.
S Ramesh Appointed CBIC Chairman
The Appointments Committee of Cabinet (ACC) has appointed senior bureaucrat S Ramesh as the Chairman of Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC).
- Ramesh, a 1981 batch officer of Indian Revenue Service (customs and central excise), is at present member in the CBIC, an apex policy making body for indirect taxes.
- He will take over charge from incumbent Vanaja N Sarna who completes her term this month-end.
Boxer Saweety Boora claims gold at Umakhanov Memorial Tournament
Indian woman boxer Saweety Boora claimed a gold medal in the 75 kilogram category at the Umakhanov Memorial Tournament in Kaspiysk, Russia.
- The former World Championship silver-medallist beat home favourite Anna Anfinogenova in the final to finish on top.
- Saweety was the only Indian among women to make it to the Final.
Gavit Murli Kumar Wins Gold in Gouden Spike meet in the Netherlands
Indian long distance runner Gavit Murali Kumar bagged a Gold in men’s 10,000 metre race at the Gouden Spike meeting in Leiden, The Netherlands.
- The 21-year-old Kumar, hailing from Gujarat, clocked a personal best of 28 minutes 43.34 seconds.
- It was the best by an Indian in the ongoing season and the second fastest time by an Indian ever in the distance race, just short of long-distance coach Surendra Singh’s national record of 28 minutes 02.89 seconds set at Vigo, Spain in 2008.
Nagaland’s Senior Journalist Xavier Rutsa Passes Away
Nagaland’s senior journalist and president of the Kohima Press Club (KPC), Xavier Rutsa died of heart attack while he was returning home from a meeting. He was 42.
12 June: World Day Against Child Labour
The World Day against Child Labour is observed annually on June 12.
- The theme of World Day against Child Labour 2018 is ‘Generation Safe & Healthy’.
- The Day was launched in 2002 by International Labour Organization (ILO) to focus attention on the global extent of child labour and the action and efforts needed to eliminate it.