Daily Current Affairs 12 May 2018 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
India’s longest rail-road bridge to be inaugurated by PM Modi this year
India’s longest road and railway bridge connecting Dibrugarh in Assam to Pasighat in Arunachal Pradesh is likely to be inaugurated by end of this year by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- Bogibeel Bridge, in India’s North-East, is the country’s longest rail-cum-road bridge and second longest in Asia, with three lane roads on top and double line rail below.
- Bogibeel is part of infrastructure projects planned by India to improve logistics along the China border in Arunachal Pradesh.
Kerala Government’s K-FON to provide free internet
Communist Party of India (Marxist) led LDF government in Kerala is planning to provide free internet connections to 20 lakh poor families in the state. The initiative is being implemented under the new optic fibre pathway.
- The state government has decided to set up a Joint Venture company Kerala Fibre Optic Network Limited to implement the Kerala Fibre Optic Network (K-FON) project.
- The K-FON initiative will provide free internet connection to 20 lakh families and speedy internet connectivity to government offices and educational institutions and also quality internet service to the public at an affordable rate.
Chhattisgarh CM to launch Vikas Yatra
Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Raman Singh launched the Vikas Yatra from Dantewada on May 12.
- The yatra has been organized to tell people about the development the state has witnessed.
- The chief minister, during his Vikas Yatra, distributed free pesticides to 5.5 lakh labourers. Also, 50 lakh families were given smartphones as part of the Chief Minister’s dream project Sanchar Kranti Yojna.
Nepal to hold BIMSTEC 2018
Nepal will host the 2018 Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) Summit.
- The BIMSTEC is an international organisation of seven nations of South Asia and South East Asia, including Bangladesh, India, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Bhutan, and Nepal.
SpaceX launches Block 5 Falcon 9 to debut Bangladesh’s satellite
SpaceX’s launched the new and final version of its Falcon 9 rocket in its ninth flight of this year.
- The new Block 5 version of Falcon 9 rocket lifted off from Kennedy Space Center’s Launch Complex 39A on May 11, carrying the Bangabandhu-1 satellite, the first Bangladeshi telecom satellite, into geostationary transfer orbit.
Prof Muhammad Yunus conferred KISS Humanitarian Award 2018
Nobel laureate and noted economist Muhammad Yunus has been honoured with the 11th KISS Humanitarian Award 2018.
- Yunus is the founder of Grameen Bank and also known as the Father of Microfinance.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
Book Release by COAS, Gen Bipin Rawat
Gen Bipin Rawat, Chief of Army the Staff has released the book titled ‘Across the Bench – Insight into the Indian Military Judicial System’ by Lt Gen Gyan Bhushan, former Army Commander and Member ‘A’, Armed Forces Tribunal, Lucknow Bench.
- The book deals with military judicial system vis-a-vis command and management issues within the military establishments besides the whole gamut of issues relating to veterans, their families and dependents.
Former Test Cricketer Rajinder Pal Passes Away
Rajinder Pal, the former Delhi cricketer who represented India in one Test, passed away at his Dehradun residence on May 9. The right-arm fast bowler played his only Test against England in 1964 and was 80.
Delhi storyteller and dastangoi exponent drowns in lake near Pune
Ankit Chadha, a Delhi-based writer and storyteller, died after allegedly drowning at Uksan lake near Kamshet in Maharashtra, around 60 kilometres from Pune. He was 30.
- Chadha was noted as a highly talented exponent of dastangoi – a 13th century Urdu oral storytelling art form.
International Nurses Day- 12 May
International Nurses Day is celebrated on the 12th May in the World to provide the Honor and Respect to the Nurses for their Incredible and Honourable work.
This year theme of the Day is: ‘Nurses: A voice to lead – Health is a Human Right’. The Day marks the birth anniversary of founder of modern nursing Florence Nightingale.