Daily Current Affairs 13 May 2018 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
President Kovind pays floral tributes to former President Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed on his birth anniversary
The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, paid homage to Shri Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed, former President of India on his Birth Anniversary at Rashtrapati Bhavan today (May 13, 2018).
- Ahmed was the fifth President of the country and also the second President to die in office.
India largest remittance-receiving country in world
India has become the largest remittance-receiving country in the world, with migrant workers from the country sending home 69 billion US dollars in 2017.
- According to the report ‘RemitSCOPE – Remittance markets and opportunities – Asia and the Pacific’, remittances to the Asia-Pacific region amounted to 256 billion dollars last year.
- India with 69 billion Dollars, China with 64 billion Dollars and the Philippines with 33 billion Dollars are the three largest remittance-receiving countries in the world in 2017.
Madhya Pradesh to be declared ODF by October this year: CM
The Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh, Shri Shivraj Singh Chouhan has announced that the State will be declared as open defecation free (ODF) by Gandhi Jayanti this year.
- This will mean that the State will become ODF one year before the national timeline of October 2nd, 2019, the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
China’s Alibaba buys Pakistan e-commerce firm Daraz
Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba has purchased leading Pakistani online retailer Daraz in a move to doubling its investment in Southeast Asian e-commerce firm Lazada.
- China is seeking closer economic ties with Asian neighbours including Pakistan through its Belt and Road initiative, a strategy to increase trade links that is led primarily by infrastructure projects.
- Daraz, founded in 2012, was purchased from Rocket Internet, a Berlin-based incubator of online startups.
Indian U-16 football team wins title in Serbia, beats Tajikistan in final
The Indian U-16 football team was crowned champions at the Four-Nation Tournament held in Serbia after they defeated Tajikistan 4-2 in the finals.
- The four-nation tournament was played between India, Serbia, Tajikistan and Jordan.
Liverpool’s Salah wins EPL Player of the Season award
Liverpool FC and Egypt national football team’s forward Mohamed Salah won the English Premier League (EPL) Player of the Season award.
Petra wins record third Madrid Open title
Czech Petra Kvitova defeated Kiki Bertens 7-6 (8-6), 4-6, 6-3 in a hard-fought battle to win the Madrid Open for a record third time.
Hamilton wins Spanish GP, strengthens lead in F1 standings
British driver Lewis Hamilton of Mercedes won the Formula One Spanish Grand Prix, his second victory in a row after winning the Azerbaijan GP.
- Red Bull’s Max Verstappen came third, followed by Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel of Germany in fourth.
Athletics Federation of India decides to implement a strict ‘No-Needle’ policy at all national camps and training centres
The Athletics Federation of India (AFI) has decided to implement a strict ‘No-Needle’ policy at all the national camps and training centres in the country.
- The Athletics Federation’s action comes a month after 20- kilometre race walker KT Irfan and triple jumper Rakesh Babu were sent back home from the recent Commonwealth Games at Gold Coast on charges of possession of needles, in violation of the organisers’ strict ‘No-Needle’ policy.
- In order to the implement this policy, the AFI has formed a three-member committee of coaches, which has been empowered to search the rooms of the athletes.
- Chief coach Bahadur Singh will head the committee while the other two members will be deputy chief coach Radhakrishnan Nair and chief coach (juniors) Sanjay Garnaik.
Army finalises Rs 15,000-crore ammunition production project
After years of deliberations, the Army has finalized a mega Rs 15,000-crore project under which a range of ammunition for its critical weapons and tanks will be produced indigenously to overcome long delays in imports and address the problem of a dwindling stockpile.
- The immediate aim of the closely guarded project — said to be the biggest ever initiative for the indigenisation of ammunition — is to create an inventory for all major weapons to enable the forces to fight a 30-day war while the long-term objective is to cut dependence on imports.
Lata Mangeshkar conferred ‘Swara Mauli’ award
Legendary singer Lata Mangeshkar was on Saturday honoured with “Swara Mauli” title by spiritual guru Vidya Narsimha Bharati Swami at her residence in ‘Prabhu Kunj’.
- Her sister singer Asha Bhosle, Usha Mangeshkar and brother Hridaynath Mangeshkar were present at the occasion.
Former MP Minister Nirmal Hirawat Dead
Former Madhya Pradesh minister and senior Congress leader Dr Nirmal Hirawat died of a heart attack at his residence in Katangi town. He was 74.