Daily Current Affairs 2 June 2018 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Environment Ministry, Teri Sign MOU to Set up a Resource Efficiency Cell
The Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC) and The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) has entered a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to set up a resource efficiency cell in the Ministry.
- The main objectives of the Cell are to provide a platform to mainstream resource efficiency in public policy.
- During the event, the European Union and MoEFCC also signed a Joint Declaration of Intent (JDI) to support the implementation of the EU Resource Efficiency Initiative (EU-REI) Project in India, with a specific objective to foster the efficient and sustainable use of natural resources in India.
NMCG undertakes cleanliness drive at Kalindi Kunj Ghat in Delhi
In the run up to the World Environment Day 2018, National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) in association with Yes Bank organised a cleanliness drive at Kalindi Kunj ghat on river Yamuna in New Delhi.
- The focus during the cleanliness drive remained on freeing the ghat from plastic waste along with other solid waste.
Govt sets up Executive Committee to spread Mahatma Gandhi’s legacy
The Union Government has set up an executive committee, under the chairmanship of Prime Minister Narendra Modi to spread Mahatma Gandhi’s legacy among the people at the national and international level.
- The committee will comprise of senior cabinet ministers, the leader of opposition in the Rajya Sabha, renowned Gandhians, social activists and noted public figures.
EAM Sushma Swaraj embarks on five-day visit to South Africa
External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj left for South Africa on a five-day visit to further strengthen the close and long standing ties with South Africa.
- The year 2018 is an important year for India-South Africa relations as it marks the 25 years of the establishment of diplomatic relations.
- The Minister will participate in the BRICS Foreign Ministers Meeting on June 4 and chair the IBSA Foreign Ministers Meeting.
Centre sets up Cauvery Water Management Authority to address water sharing dispute
The Government of India has constituted the Cauvery Water Management Authority (CMA) and and the Cauvery Water Regulation Committee to address the dispute over sharing of river water among the states of Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Kerala and Puducherry.
- The move is in compliance with a Supreme Court order on 16th of February directing the government to form the CMA within six weeks.
- The authority would comprise a chairman appointed by the Central government for a tenure of five years.
- It will also have eight members out of which two each will be full-time and part-time members, while the rest four will be part-time members from states, besides a secretary.
- The Centre will initially contribute a sum of Rs 2 crore for the functioning of the authority.
NTPC adopts Charminar under Swachh Iconic Places Project
NTPC Ltd has adopted the iconic Charminar in Hyderabad under the Swachh Iconic Places Projects of India as a part of a special drive under the Centre’s Swachh Bharat Mission.
- NTPC Ltd and the Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation have signed a memorandum of understanding for implementation of development and beautification works under the Charminar Pedestrianization Project in Hyderabad.
- As part of its Corporate Social Responsibility outreach for protecting the national heritage, art and culture, NTPC will contribute Rs 8.19 crore towards implementation of the project by GHMC in a time schedule of nine months from the date of signing.
Cochin Shipyard, Kerala govt ink pact to build marine ambulances
Cochin Shipyard Ltd (CSL) has entered into an agreement with Kerala government to construct three marine ambulance for the state fisheries department.
- The vessel will be designed by CSL at its in-house design department. The vessel will be able to complement 2 patients and will have a total crew capacity of seven, including the paramedical staff.
- The boats will also have various paramedical facilities like examination and nursing room, medical beds, mortuary freezer, refrigerator and medical lockers.
India, Indonesia to organise interfaith dialogue in both nations
Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Indonesian President Joko Widodo has agreed to organise an Interfaith Dialogue in Indonesia in early October 2018.
- The October dialogue will be followed by a similar dialogue in India in 2019 to promote pluralism and eradicate radicalism.
- Interfaith dialogue is a reflection of the united commitment of both countries to explore a new understanding on the rise of religious identities, the dynamic of pluralism and to eradicate radicalism, terrorism, and violent extremism.
IISc Bangalore Makes It To Top 100 Universities In The World
The Indian Institute of Science (IISc) in Bengaluru has made it to the top 100 universities in the Times Higher Education’s World Reputation Rankings 2018.
- This makes IISc the only Indian institution to make it to the prestigious list this year and has been ranked in the 91-100 band of the list.
- The top 5 Institutes in the list comprises of American universities Harvard, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) , Stanford, UK’s Cambridge and Oxford respectively.
Intra-State e-waybills to take effect in final 8 States
The Central Government has announced that the e-waybill system for intra-State movement of goods will be implemented for the final eight States over the first three days of June.
- The new system would be implemented for intra-State transport in Chhattisgarh, Goa, Jammu & Kashmir, Mizoram, Odisha, and Punjabon June 1, in Tamil Nadu on June 2 and in West Bengal, on June 3.
Seva Bhoj Yojana Launched by Central Govt. for Charitable Religious Institutions
The Ministry of Culture, Government of India has introduced a new scheme namely Seva Bhoj Yojna with a total outlay of Rs. 325.00 Crores for Financial Years 2018-19 and 2019-20.
- The scheme envisages to reimburse the Central Government share of Central Goods and Services Tax (CGST) and Integrated Goods and Service Tax (IGST) so as to lessen the financial burden of such Charitable Religious Institutions who provide Food/Prasad/Langar (Community Kitchen)/Bhandara free of cost without any discrimination to Public/Devotees.
HDFC Bank recognized for best practices in payment security
HDFC Bank has been conferred with the Champion Security Award 2018 at the 14th Visa Asia Pacific Security Summit for second time in a row in the India and South Asia category.
- The Award is a mark of excellence reflecting leadership in risk management and payment security performance.
- It recognizes banks who apply international best practices to every aspect of keeping electronic transactions secure.
Egypt: Prez Abdel Fattah al-Sisi sworn in for 2nd 4-year term in office
Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi has been sworn in for a second four-year term in office.
- Sisi won 97% of valid votes in the March presidential election defeating Moussa Mostafa Moussa who was the only opponent.
- Abdel Fattah al-Sisi won his first term in 2014 with an overwhelming majority of the vote.
Giuseppe Conte sworn in as Italian prime minister
Giuseppe Conte has been sworn in as Prime Minister of Italy’s new populist government
- The 53 year old Conte, an academic and political novice, will head a government of ministers from the anti-establishment Five Star Movement (M5S) and the far-right League party.
Kerala cartoonist wins international award
Kerala cartoonist Thomas Antony has won the World Press Cartoon Awards in the best caricature category.
- The 13th edition of the World Press Cartoon awards has 9 winners from eight countries in three continents– Europe, Asia and South America.
- Antony is the lone cartoonist selected from Asia selected for the prize. He currently works as Executive Artist of Malayalam daily ‘Metro Vaartha.
- The awards instituted by an organisation based in Lisbon, Portugal are given to the best works published in 2017 in newspapers and magazines from around the world.
Nepal, Scotland Among 4 Teams Inducted in ICC ODI Rankings
The ICC included Nepal, Netherlands, Scotland and the UAE in their ODI rankings list apart from the 12 existing countries.
- The ICC release states that results of all the bilateral ODIs involving these new teams will henceforth be taken into account while calculating the rating points.