Daily Current Affairs 2 May 2018 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Cabinet approves three major infrastructure projects
The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs has approved three major infrastructure projects – new terminal buildings at Guwahati, Chennai and Lucknow airports.
- The decision has been taken with regard to government’s commitment to augment the airport capacity and facilities to match the 20% passenger growth rate and for constantly improving your air-travel experience.
Cabinet approves Doubling of Investment Limit for Senior Citizens from Rs. 7.5 lakh to Rs.15 lakh under Pradhan Mantri Vaya Vandan Yojana (PMVVY)
The Union Cabinet chaired by chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has given its approval for extending the investment limit from Rs 7.5 lakhs to Rs 15 lakhs under the Pradhan Mantri Vaya Vandan Yojana (PMVVY) as part of Government’s commitment for financial inclusion and social security..
- Besides, the time limits for subscription has also been extended from 4th May 2018 to 31st March, 2020 .
- The move will provide a larger social security cover to the Senior citizens. It will enable upto Rs.10000 Pension per month for Senior Citizens.
Cabinet approves continuation of Umbrella Scheme ‘Green Revolution — Krishonnati Yojana’ in Agriculture Sector
The Cabinet has given its approval for the Umbrella Scheme, “Green Revolution – Krishonnati Yojana” in agriculture sector beyond 12th Five Year Plan for the period from 2017-18 to 2019-20.
- The Schemes will be continued with an expenditure of Rs.33,269.976 crore from central government for three financial years, i.e., 2017-18, 2018-19 and 2019-20.
- The Umbrella scheme comprises of 11 Schemes/Missions. These schemes look to develop the agriculture and allied sector in a holistic and scientific manner to increase the income of farmers by enhancing production, productivity andbetter returns on produce.
Cabinet approves restructuring of Multi-sectoral Development Programme as Pradhan Mantri Jan Vikas Karyakram
The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs has approved the proposal for renaming and restructuring of Multi-sectoral Development Programme (MsDP) as Pradhan Mantri Jan Vikas Karyakram (PMJVK).
- CCEA has also approved its continuation during the remaining period of the 14th Finance Commission.
Cabinet approves continuation of Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana upto 2019-20
The Cabinet gave its nod to continuation of Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana beyond 12th Five Year Plan for a period 2017-18 to 2019-20.
- The financial outlay for this purpose is Rs 14,832 crore.
- Under this 20 new AIIMS and up-gradation of 73 medical college will be undertaken.
Prez chairs first meeting of National Committee for Commemorating 150th Birth Anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi
The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, chaired the first meeting of the National Committee for the Commemoration of the 150th Birth Anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi, at Rashtrapati Bhavan today (May 2, 2018).
- The Committee has a total of 125 members, including 116 from India and nine international members.
- The birth anniversary of the Father of the Nation will be commemorated from 2nd October, 2019 to 2nd October, 2020.
14 Indian cities in WHO’s 20 most-polluted
14 Indian cities have been figured in a list of 20 most polluted cities in the world in terms of PM2.5 levels in 2016, according to the data released by the WHO (May 2, 2018).
- The Indian cities that registered very high levels of PM2.5 pollutants were Delhi, Varanasi, Kanpur, Faridabad, Gaya, Patna, Agra, Muzaffarpur, Srinagar, Gurgaon, Jaipur, Patiala and Jodhpur.
- In terms of PM10 levels, 13 cities in India figured among the 20 most-polluted cities of the world in 2016.
- The WHO data also said that nine out of 10 people in the world breathe air containing high levels of pollutants.
In a first, renewables surpass conventional energy sources in capacity addition in FY18
For the first time in the country, the renewable energy sector has added more capacity than the conventional power — thermal, gas and nuclear — in 2017-18.
- The renewable energy sector which includes solar, wind and bio-fuel, has added 11,788 MW of capacity to the grid in FY18.
- Though the renewable energy capacity addition fell short of its target (14,510 MW) for the fiscal, it exceeded the capacity added by conventional segment which stood at 9,505 MW, according to the data provided by Union Ministry of New and Renewable Energy.
Gujarat Govt Launches ‘Save the Water’ Project
The Gujarat government initiated a month-long state-wide water conservation campaign, on the occasion of the state’s Foundation Day on May 1, aiming to conserve an additional 1,100 million cubic feet of rain water..
- The project, named ‘Sujalam Sufalam Water Conservation Campaign’, was officially launched by Chief Minister Vijay Rupani by desalting a pond at Kosamdi village in Anklesvar tehsil of Bharuch district.
- The massive campaign aims at conserving 11,000 lakh cubic feet of rainwater by desalting nearly 13,000 ponds, 200 water reservoirs and 1,500 check dams using 12,000 machines to tide over the water shortage scenario in the state.
Biggest Airport, after Mumbai, to be developed in Mopa, Goa
The Union Government has announced to develop the country’s biggest airport, after only to Mumbai, in Mopa district of Goa.
- A joint team of the Airports Authority of India (AAI) and Commerce Logistics Department will visit Goa on May 7-8, 2018 to facilitate the development of cargo hubs at the new airport to be constructed at Mopa in Goa.
- The four coastal states in the western part of the country, Maharashtra, Karnataka, Kerala and Goa, will benefit greatly from the biggest airport, after Mumbai, to be constructed in Mopa.
India- South Africa Business Summit Concludes in Johannesburg
Minister of Commerce and Industry and Civil Aviation, Suresh Prabhu, attended India- South Africa business summit from April 29-30,2018 in Johannesburg, South Africa. The visit began with a series of bilateral meetings.
At the end of the tour the Minister met the Indian diaspora and said that they are a bridge between the two countries for more than 150 years and the diaspora is a great hope for the future of economic and commercial cooperation.
India’s economy likely to grow at 7.3% this fiscal: Report
According to a BMI Research, a Fitch group company, the economic growth in India is expected to strengthen to 7.3% in financial year 2018-19 from 6.6 per cent in fiscal 2017-18, on the back of robust activity from construction, manufacturing, and services sectors.
England overtake India to become No. 1 in ODIs
England has overtaken India to seize the top spot in the MRF Tyres ICC ODI team rankings following the annual update, while Nepal has rejoined the T20I ratings.
- England, who last topped the ODI rankings in January 2013, have gained 8 points and moved to 125 points. India, who were at the top before the update, have lost a solitary point and are in second place with a total of 122 points.
- South Africa, who was second, have dropped down to third place after losing four points, from 117 to 113, only one point ahead of fourth-placed New Zealand.
ICICI Bank names Radhakrishnan Nair as Independent Director
Former IRDAI member Radhakrishnan Nair has been appointed to ICICI Bank’s board as an Additional (Independent) Director for a period of five years. His appointment is subjected to the approval of shareholders.
Subhash Chandra Khuntia appointed as IRDAI Chairman
The Appointments Committee of Cabinet (ACC) has approved the appointment of former IAS officer Subhash Chandra Khuntia as the new chairman of the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI).
- His appointment will be for a period of three years or till the age of 65 years, whichever is the earliest.