Daily Current Affairs 22 April 2018 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Uttarakhand CM launches campaign to connect with youngsters
In a unique initiative to establish direct contact with the youth, Uttarakhand Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat launched a campaign called “Devbhoomi dialogue” at his official residence calling upon them to look for self-employment opportunities in their chosen fields.
Indian airports get their first woman firefighter
In a bid to pursue equal employment opportunities, the Airports Authority of India (AAI) has appointed its first ever woman firefighter.
- Taniya Sanyal from Kolkata is currently training in the capital and will be joining her team in a month.
Chief of the Naval Staff, Admiral Sunil Lanba, visits Iran for Indian Ocean Naval Symposium (IONS) 2018
Navy Chief Admiral Sunil Lanba began a five-day visit to Iran to attend a conclave of major naval powers of the region and explore ways to deepen engagement between navies of the two countries.
- The sixth edition of Indian Ocean Naval Symposium (IONS) and Conclave of Chiefs will be held in Tehran from April 23 to 25.
Kyrgyzstan’s Parliament names new Prime Minister
Kyrgyz lawmakers on April 20 named Mukhammedkaliy Abylgaziyev as their country’s new prime minister following his nomination by the Social Democratic Party (SDPK), which controls the majority coalition within Kyrgyzstan’s parliament.
BANKING & FINANCE
Country’s growth is expected to expand at 7.4 per cent in the next fiscal, says RBI Governor Urjit Patel.
Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Governor Urjit Patel has said the country’s economy growth is expected to accelerate at 7.4 percent in the current fiscal year to March 2019 after a “resilient performance” in the second half of the previous year.
Yes Bank gets RBI nod to open offices in London, Singapore
Private sector lender Yes Bank has received Reserve Bank of India’s (RBI) approval to open two representative offices in London and Singapore.
- Yes Bank opened its first representative office in Abu Dhabi in April 2015 and also launched IFSC banking unit (IBU) at GIFT City, Gandhinagar, in the same year.
ICICI Bank launches digital application form for opening current accounts
Private sector lender ICICI Bank has introduced a ‘digital form’ which will help open current accounts in a few hours.
- Deemed to be first of its kind service by any lender in India, digital forms are expected help the bank secure more clients as its helps in ‘ease of doing business’ and help increase the bank’s market share.
Indian women excel at 8th South Asian Judo Championship in Lalitpur
In a historic performance Indian women made clean sweep at 8th South Asian Judo Championship in Lalitpur, Nepal. India won all 4 Gold Medals in women’s section.
- India’s L Sushila Devi won the gold in the 48kg category defeating Humaira Ashiq of Pakistan in the final. The second gold was won by Kalpana Devi Thoudam, who beat Maryam of Pakistan in the 52kg category.
- In the 57kg category, A Anita Chanu defeated local girl Lila Adhikari while H Sunibala Devi defeated Phupu Lhamu Khatri of Nepal in the 63kg category to win country’s fourth yellow metal. India’s men bagged two bronze medals.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
Nitish Kumar Launches 3 Books on Mahatma Gandhi’s Champaran Movement
Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar released three books based on Mahatma Gandhi’s Champaran movement of 1917 on Saturday.
The books released by Nitish Kumar includes:
- ‘Mister M K Gandhi Ki Champaran Diary’ by Arvind Mohan
- ‘Champaran Andolan 1917’ edited by Ashutosh Partheshwar and
- ‘Pir Muhammad Munis: Kalam Ka Satyagrahi’ collected and edited by Srikant.
Earth Day Observed
Earth Day is observed every year on April 22. First celebrated in 1970, Earth Day is significant as it’s a day of political action and civic participation towards preserving the planet.
- Earth Day 2018 theme is ‘End Plastic Pollution’.
Former Delhi High Court Chief Justice Rajinder Sachar Dies At 94
Former Delhi High Court Chief Justice Rajinder Sachar died on Friday at a private hospital, family members said.
- A noted human rights activist, Sachar was the Chief Justice of Delhi High Court from 6 August, 1985, to 22 December, 1985.
World’s oldest person dead – 117-year-old Nabi Tajima passes away in Japan
THE World’s oldest person, Nabi Tajima, has died in hospital at the age of 117 in the town of Kikai in Japan.
- Tajima, born on August 4, 1900, was the last known person born in the 19th century. She reportedly had more than 160 descendants, including great-great-great grandchildren.