Daily Current Affairs 22 May 2018 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
India witnessed highest number of Internet shutdowns in 2017-18: UNESCO report
People in South Asian countries experienced at least 97 instances of Internet shutdown, a barometer on freedom of press and expression, between May 2017 and April 2018, with India alone accounting for 82 such cases, according to a UNESCO report.
- According to the Clampdowns and Courage-South Asia Press Freedom Report 2017-18, released recently by the UNESCO-International Federation of Journalists, Pakistan witnessed 12 instances of Internet shutdown, while Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka reported one such case each.
Kerala tourism to unveil world’s largest bird sculpture
The Kerala Tourism Minister Kadakampally Surendran has announced that Kerala tourism will inaugurate the world’s largest bird sculpture, Jatayu Earth’s Centre in Thiruvananthapuram on July 4.
- The replica of the bird ‘Jatayu’ — a character in the Ramayana — is 200 feet long, 150 feet wide, 65 feet tall and is positioned right at the top of a rock situated 1,000 feet above sea level.
- The sculpture, spread over 65 acres in Thiruvananthapuram, has been built at a cost of Rs 100 crore.
Civil Aviation Ministry notifies draft passenger charter
Civil Aviation Ministry has notified the draft of the Passenger Charter which is open for public consultation and will be operational in a month’s time. The draft provides certain measures for ensuring safety and security of passengers.
- This includes refund of the entire ticket fare if flight gets canceled due to airline’s fault and no charges on cancellation of tickets within 24 hours of booking.
- Though Aadhar will be used for booking of tickets, it has not been made mandatory. The ID shown by the passenger will be added to the database.
- The draft also states that Wi-Fi connectivity will be available to passengers after the take off. Airlines will get the permission for Wi-Fi service within 2 months of the application.
Gadkari emphasizes on integrated approach to clean Ganga
Union Minister for Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation, Nitin Gadkari inaugurated a day long workshop organized by World Wildlife Fund (WWF) on “Ganga and its Biodiversity: Developing a Road Map for Habitat and Species Conservation” in New Delhi.
- The Minister emphasized the need for integrated approach to clean Ganga, which will not only be helpful for the environment but will also boost our economy.
- Besides, he also released the report on “Status of Conservation of Select Aquatic Species” in river Ganga and launched a database of Ganga Praharis’, a self-motivated cadre, being created by Wildlife Institute of India (WII).
Government’s new initiative: #HumFitTohIndiaFit
In order to encourage fitness in the country, sports Minister Rajyavardhan Rathore took the first step to post video of his fitness regime and challenge leading sportsmen of the country for the same. He also urged people to post pictures on how they keep themselves fit.
- On social media, the Minister’s posted his Fitness video and Challenged 3 Celebrities. The Olympian challenged cricketer Virat Kohli, actor Hrithik Roshan and badminton player Saina Nehwal to join in.
Regional Conference on “Clean and Renewable Energy” held in Bhopal
The Minister of New and Renewable Energy, Govt. of Madhya Pradesh (MP), Shri Narayan Singh Kushwah inaugurated the one day Regional Conference on the theme of “New and Renewable Energy” in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh.
- This was sixth such Regional Conference in the series in a lead-up to 3rd Annual Meeting of the Board of Governors of Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB).
- The annual meeting which is being hosted by the Ministry of Finance, Government of India in collaboration with AIIB, Government of Maharashtra, RIS and CII among others will be held in Mumbai on 25th and 26th June, 2018.
Assam govt to provide pension to 16 lakh senior citizens
In a bid to empower the senior citizens, the Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal has decided to provide pension to 16 lakh senior citizens of the state and directed the Panchayat and Rural Development department to take necessary step in this direction.
- Under the initiative, the state government will provide pension of Rs 250 per month to all senior citizens who are 60 years and above into their accounts.
India to achieve 9% growth rate by 2022
NITI Aayog vice-chairman Rajiv Kumar has estimated that Indian economy will achieve 9 percent growth rate on sustained basis by 2022 on the back of reforms like GST, demonetisation and the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (IBC).
- He said that Indian economy grew by 6.6 percent in 2017-18 and expected to grow at 7.5 percent this fiscal.
Vice President Venkaiah Naidu lays foundation stone for NIDM’s Southern Campus in Andhra Pradesh
Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu laid the foundation stone for the Southern Campus of National Institute of Disaster Management (NIDM) at Kondapavuluru in Krishna District of Andhra Pradesh.
- NIDM’s Campus would become a Centre for excellence in the future and save people from cyclones and other disasters.
Madhya Pradesh Launches ‘My MP Rojgar Portal’
Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan has launched ‘My MP Rojgar Portal’ to provide employment opportunities to youths.
- The portal has been prepared by Madhya Pradesh Skill Development and Employment Generation Board under youth empowerment mission.
- Any certificate, diploma or degree holder can make registration of their profile at this portal.
- The youths will be able to get appropriate job as per their educational qualification, skills, interest. Interested candidates can make My MP Rozgar Portal Online Registration at www.mprojgar.gov.in
Chatra Parivahan Suraksha Yojana to be launched in Haryana : CM
Chief Minister of Haryana, Shri Manohar Lal Khattar has announced the launch of ‘Chatra Parivahan Suraksha Yojana’ to ensure safety of girl students.
- Under this scheme, five or more girl students, will get free travel facility from their home to their educational institutions.
- The state govt. has also constituted a special task force namely “Durgashakti Vahini” to minimize the crimes against women.
26th BASIC Ministerial meeting of Environment Ministers in Durban
The 26th BASIC Ministerial Meeting of Environment Ministers was held in Durban, South Africa for co-operation to protect the climate for present and future generations.
- The grouping is a bloc of four countries – Brazil, South Africa, India and China – formed by an agreement on November 28, 2009.
World Bank extends $300 mn credit to scale up energy efficiency program
The World Bank Board of Executive Directors has approved a $220 million (Rs 1,496 crore) loan and an $80 million (Rs 544 crore) guarantee for the India Energy Efficiency Scale-Up Program.
- The Program, to be implemented by the Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL), will help scale up the deployment of energy saving measures in residential and public sectors, strengthen EESL’s institutional capacity, and enhance its access to commercial financing.
BoB launched MSME factory in Gurgaon
State-owned Bank of Baroda (BoB) has launched its first integrated SME Loan Factory in Gurgaon to cater the needs of MSME segment in the NCR.
- This integrated SME Loan Factory will function as a One Stop Shop’ for MSME customers with competent staff and simplified processes.
- It will provide end to end solutions viz. acquisition, processing, documentation, disbursement & relationship management etc.
Inflation to average around 5.1% this fiscal: Report
Inflation is set to rise further towards the second half of the fiscal, and could average 5.1 per cent this financial year compared to 3.6 per cent last year, says an HSBC report.
- According to the global financial services major, the factors those are likely to impact inflation going forward include higher oil prices, a weaker rupee, higher MSPs and more currency in circulation.
Neymar named France’s player of the year
Paris Saint-Germain’s Brazilian forward Neymar was named as France’s player of the year at an awards ceremony in Paris.
- The Paris Saint-Germain superstar took the prize despite missing the last three months of the season due to injury.
- The world’s most expensive player has scored 19 goals in just 20 league games for PSG.
Iraq to host first international football tournament
Iraq is to host a West Asia Football Federation championship at Basra Sports City stadium in the southern Iraqi city in November, the first international tournament to be staged in the country since the 1990s.
Bala Prasath Wins Formula Junior Racing Series 2018 Championship
Coimbatore racer Bala Prasath has won the Formula Junior Racing Series 2018 Championship held at the Kari Motor Speedway in his hometown.
- Bala, who finished second in Round 1, secured top spot in Round 2 overtaking Bangalore’s Sohil Shah.
NYSE Names 1st Woman Chief in Exchange’s 226-year History
The New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) has named Stacey Cunningham its first female chief in the history of the 226-year-old exchange.
- Previously chief operating officer (COO), Cunningham replaces Tom Farley, who’s leaving the company,
World’s largest amphibians face imminent threat of extinction
The critically endangered Chinese giant salamander, well known as the world’s largest amphibian, now faces the imminent threat of extinction in the wild.
- The findings, published in the journal Current Biology, showed that illegal poaching of the amphibians is widespread.
International Bio-diversity Day
The International Bio-diversity Day is observed on 22nd May every year to increase understanding and awareness of biodiversity issues.
- The theme this year is, ‘Celebrating 25 Years of Action for Biodiversity’.
- 2018 marks the 25th anniversary of the entry into force of the Convention on Biological Diversity and to highlight progress made in the achievement of its objectives at the national and global levels.
World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development
Every year on 21 May, the World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development is celebrated to promote the richness of the world’s cultures and and highlight the significance of its diversity for achieving peace and sustainable development.
The United Nations General Assembly first declared this World Day in 2002, following UNESCO’s adoption of the 2001 Universal Declaration on Cultural Diversity.