Daily Current Affairs 23 April 2018 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Tech Mahindra opens cyber security centre in Andhra Pradesh
IT major Tech Mahindra has established Andhra Pradesh Cyber Security Operations Centre (APCSOC) in Vijayawada which is equipped with predictive threat analytics capabilities.
- The Andhra Pradesh Cyber Security Operations Centre (APCSOC), first of its kind in India, will leverage Tech Mahindra’s global expertise in cyber security and risk management for a robust government security framework.
Suresh Prabhu to Chair First Meeting of Think Tank on Framework for National Policy on E-Commerce
Minister of Commerce & Industry and Civil Aviation, Suresh Prabhu, will chair the first meeting of the think tank on the Framework for National Policy on E-commerce to be held on April 24th, 2018.
Diu Smart City becomes first to run on 100% Renewable Energy during Daytime
Diu Smart City has become the first city in India, that runs on 100% renewable energy during daytime setting a new benchmark for other cities to become clean and green. Diu had been importing 73% of its power from Gujarat until last year.
Business Beyond Borders: International SME Convention – 2018 begins in New Delhi
Delegates from 37 countries are participating in the first ever International SME Convention being held in New Delhi from 22nd to 24th April 2018.
- Some of the participating countries are Australia, Austria, France, Indonesia, Italy, Kenya, Korea, Malaysia, Morocco, Nigeria, Philippines, Poland, Russia, Spain, Sri Lanka, South Africa and UAE
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
TCS first Indian company to achieve $100 billion m-cap
Tata Consultancy Services (TCS), the country’s largest IT outsourcing company has emerged as the first Indian listed company to cross the $100-billion mark in terms of market capitalisation (m-cap).
BANKING & FINANCE
At $69 bn India highest recipient of remittances in 2017: World Bank
India topped as the highest recipient of remittances globally in 2017, with its diaspora sending back $69 billion, according to the World Bank statement.
- Remittance inflows improved in all regions and the top remittance recipients were India with $69 billion, followed by China ($64 billion), the Philippines ($33 billion), Mexico ($31 billion), Nigeria ($22 billion), and Egypt ($20 billion)
Deposits in Jan Dhan Accounts cross Rs 80,000 crore
Total deposits in Jan Dhan accounts crossed Rs 80,000 crore mark with more people joining the flagship financial inclusion programme.
- The deposits, which have been steadily rising since March 2017, were at Rs 80,545.70 crore on April 11, 2018.
India bags 10 gold medals in South Asian Judo C’ships
India has bagged a total of 10 gold medals in the ongoing South Asian Judo Championship, being held in Lalitpur (Kathmandu), Nepal.
- Out of the total 14 gold medals, India won 7 gold medals contested under women-single categories and the remaining 3 under men-single categories.
Rafael Nadal wins 31st Monte Carlo Masters Title
Rafael Nadal (Spain) defeated Japan’s Kei Nishikori by 6-3, 6-2 in the Monte Carlo Masters final won his 31st Masters title. It is also Nadal’s 11th Monte Carlo Masters title in 14 years
Abdo Benitez elected Paraguay President
Paraguay’s ruling Colorado Party candidate Mario Abdo Benitez has won the presidential election, data released by the country’s election tribunal showed.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
All Doors Opened’ autobiography of Inder Sharma launched
Padma Shri (Late) Inder Sharma’s autobiography ‘All Doors Opened’ was released on April 23rd in the presence of Delhi’s Lieutenant Governor Anil Baijal.
Vitabiotics receives Queen’s Award for innovation
Vitabiotics, UK’s number leading vitamin company, has been honoured with The Queen’s Award for Enterprise in Innovation for its Perfectil beauty Vitamin range.
- The Queen’s Awards for Enterprise are the UK’s highest and most prestigious awards for business performance.
23 April: World Book Day
World Book Day, also known as World Book and Copyright Day, is being celebrated across the globe on 23 Aril 2018. The event is organized by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) and was first held in 1995.
- Theme for 2018: “Reading, it’s my right!”
- The World Book Capital for 2018 is Athens, Greece.