Daily Current Affairs 25 June 2018 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
India, Seychelles ink 6 Agreements in several fields
India and Seychelles have signed six MoUs in areas of naval cooperation, cybersecurity, culture, development projects, maritime infrastructure, civilian infrastructure projects among others to further expand bilateral ties between the two sides.
- The MoUs were exchanged between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Seychelles President Danny Faure during delegation level talks in Hyderabad House.
- The Prime Minister also announced a line of credit worth 100 million USD for Seychelles for augmenting its defence capabilities.
ADNOC joins Saudi Aramco to build Ratnagiri Refinery
Saudi Aramco and the Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC) have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to jointly develop and build an integrated refinery and petrochemicals complex at Ratnagiri in Maharashtra.
- Saudi Aramco and ADNOC will together hold 50 percent stake while the rest 50 percent will be with Indian Oil (IOCL), Hindustan Petroleum (HPCL) and Bharat Petroleum (BPCL).
- It is the world’s largest oil refinery cum petrochemical project with the total investment of $ 44 billion.
Ministry of Health signs MoU with Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU)
The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has signed an MoU with the Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) to scale up the short term skill based courses especially designed for the health sector and provide more than 14 lakh trained manpower by 2025.
- The MoU is a part of ‘Skills for Life, Save a Life’ initiative, under which 10 short term course curricula were formally released by this Ministry in June 2017, along with Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship.
- The combined objective of the MoU is to scale up the health programs to create trained personnel in the healthcare sector and to set up a dedicated cell for developing, implementing and certifying the skill based programs at IGNOU.
PM approves panel to lay down standards for metro rail systems
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved a proposal to set up a committee to lay down standards for metro rail systems in the country.
- The committee will be headed by E Sreedharan, also known as the “Metro Man”.
- A retired Indian Engineering Service (IES) officer, Sreedharan has served as the managing director of Delhi Metro from 1995 to 2012.
Report on ‘Women in Prisons’ launched by the Ministry of Women and Child Development
The Ministry of Women and Child Development (MWCD) has unveiled a report titled ‘Women in Prisons’.
- The report aims to build an understanding of the various entitlements of women in prisons, the various issues faced by them and possible methods for resolution of the same.
- It contains a comprehensive list of 134 recommendations for improving the lives of women under imprisonment, addressing a wide range of issues pertaining to pregnancy and childbirth in prison, mental health, legal aid, reintegration in society and their caregiving responsibilities among others.
- Various changes in the National Model Prison Manual 2016 have also been suggested to bring it in line with international standards and norms.
UAE to hold first-ever ‘World Tolerance Summit’
The United Arab of Emirates (UAE) has announced to host a two-day “World Tolerance Summit” in November 2018 that will coincide with the International Day of Tolerance (Nov 16).
- The Summit to take place on November 15-16 will be based on the theme “Prospering From Pluralism: Embracing Diversity through Innovation and Collaboration”.
- World Tolerance Summit is the world’s first-of-its-kind event that tackles tolerance, peace and cultural understanding among mankind.
- The summit will host a large gathering of 1,000 government leaders, key personalities from the private and public sectors, youth representatives, social leaders, social influencers and the international diplomatic community.
Pakistan to launch observatory satellite
The Government of Pakistan is set to launch its indigenously developed observatory satellite, PakTES-1A, in July 2018.
- The 285 kg satellite is fitted with sensors and cameras and will remain stationary 610 km in space and its position relative to the sun will not change.
- The navigation technology for the satellite was acquired from China in 2012.
- Also known as the Remote Sensing Satellite (RSS), it can be used to study various features of the earth and determine mineral deposits, help study impact of climate change such as recession of melting glaciers, green house gasses, detect forest fires and even solve problems related to agriculture as well as forestry, besides a whole range of passive and active tasks.
AIIB to invest $100 mn for India’s development projects
The Beijing-based Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) has announced to make an equity investment of $100 million in India’s National Investment & Infrastructure Fund (NIIF) to help various development projects in this country.
- The amount will be for the Phase I of NIIF’s Fund of Fund initial closing and the AIIB is considering another $100 million in Phase II for the final closing, bringing the bank’s total commitment to $200 million.
- The NIIF is a collaborative investment platform for international and domestic investors keen on investing in commercially viable Indian infrastructure projects.
- The NIIF’s Fund of Fund will invest in funds managed by fund managers with good track records in various infrastructure and associated sectors in India.
Tayyip Erdogan Wins Another Term as Turkey President
After 15 years in office, Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan is set to return to power once again for another 5 years following his outright election victory in the recently concluded polls.
- With 99 percent of votes counted, Mr Erdogan (64) won 53 percent votes and his closest rival Muharrem Ince won 31 percent.
IIFA 2018 Awards Held in Bangkok
The International Indian Film Academy (IIFA) Awards 2018 held at Bangkok’s Siam Niramit theatre on June 24 and was hosted by director Karan Johar and actor Riteish Deshmukh.
Complete List of Winner
- Best Picture: Tumhari Sulu
- Best Actor Male: Irfan Khan for (Hindi Medium)
- Best Actor Female: Sridevi (posthumously) (Mom)
- Best Director: Saket Chowdhary (Hindi Medium)
- Best Supporting Actor Female: Meher Vij (Secret Superstar)
- Best Supporting Actor Male: Nawazuddin Siddiqui (Mom)
- Best Story: Amit V Masurkar (Newton)
- Best Debut Director: Konkona Sen Sharma (A death in the Gunj)
- Best Playback Singer (Male): Arijit Singh (Hawayein from “Jab Harry Met Sejal)
- Best Playback Singer (Female): Meghna Mishra (Main Kaun Hoon from “Secret Superstar”)
- Best Music Direction: Amaal Mallik, Tanishk Bagchi and Akhil Sachdeva (Badrinath Ki Dulhania)
- Best Lyrics: Manoj Muntashir (Mere Rashke Qamar – Baadshaho)
- Style Icon Award: Kriti Sanon
- Outstanding Achievement Award: Anupam Kher
- Next IIFA give away winner: Arjun Kapoor
Deepika Kumari wins individual recurve gold at Salt Lake World Cup
Indian Archer Deepika Kumari won her first individual gold medal in six years at stage three of the Archery World Cup in Salt Lake city of US following a 7-3 win over Germany’s Michelle Kroppen in the recurve event final.
- With this win, the four-time World Cup final silver medalist has automatically qualified for the Archery World Cup Final to be held in Samsun of Turkey later this year.
Lewis Hamilton wins French Grand Prix
The Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton reclaimed the world championship lead with a victory in the French Grand Prix.
- This was his third win of the season.
- Max Verstappen (Red Bull) climbed two places on the grid to come home second behind Hamilton with Kimi Raikkonen (Ferrari) claiming third position.
Halep stays atop of WTA rankings, Muguruza 3rd
Romania’s Simona Halep retained the number one spot in the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) rankings released recently with 7,970 points.
- While Caroline Wozniacki (Denmark) acquired the second spot with 6,745 points, Spain’s Garbine Muguruza maintained her third spot with 6,550 points.
Nadal Reclaims Top Spot in ATP rankings, Federer slips
Spain’s Rafael Nadal has reclaimed the top spot in the men’s Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) world singles rankings released recently while Switzerland’s Roger Federer came in second.
- The current ATP rankings and point scores are as follows:
- Rafael Nadal (Spain) 8,770 points
- Roger Federer (Switzerland) 8,720
- Alexander Zverev (Germany) 5,755
Award-Winning Poet Donald Hall Passes Away
A prolific and award-winning poet and writer Donald Hall at the age of 89.
- He was the United States Poet Laureate for 2007-’08, and received the Robert Frost Medal in 1991 and the National Medal of Arts, the nation’s highest honour for artists, in 2010.