Daily Current Affairs 3 May 2018 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
DoT Releases Draft National Telecom Policy, Eyes 40 Lakh New Jobs, $100 Billion Investment By 2022
The Department of Telecommunications (DoT) has released for public consultations the draft of the National Telecom Policy (NTP) 2018, named the National Digital Communications Policy, 2018.
The main aim of the new policy is to:
- Create 40 lakh new jobs by 2022;
- Attract $100 billion in investments into the sector in the next four years;
- Ensure broadband speeds of 50 mbps for every citizen by 2022 and
- Enhance the contribution of the digital communications space to India’s GDP to 8 per cent from about 6 per cent in 2017.
4th Regional Conference on Futuristic, Resilient and Digital Infrastructure of Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank begins in Bengaluru
The Ministry of Finance, Government of India in collaboration with the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII), and Research and Information System for Developing Countries (RIS) organized the 4th Regional Conference on Futuristic, Resilient and Digital Infrastructure in Bengaluru on May 3rd.
- The 2-day Conference is a lead-up to the 3rd Annual Meeting of the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) to be hosted by the Government of India on 25th and 26th June 2018 in Mumbai.
India Among top 5 Military Spenders, Says Report
India has emerged as one of the five biggest military spenders in 2017, according to a report by Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI).
- According to the arms watchdog, the five top military spenders in 2017 were the US, China, Saudi Arabia, Russia and India respectively.
- With an expenditure of USD 63.9 billion on military in 2017, India marked a 5.5 per cent rise from the figures in 2016.
- The total global military spending rose to USD 1.739 trillion which is an increase of 1.1 percent compared to the expenditure in 2016.
North Eastern Cultural and Information Centre to come up soon in Delhi: Dr. Jitendra Singh
The Minister of State for Development of North Eastern Region (I/C), Dr. Jitendra Singh announced that a North Eastern Cultural and Information Centre will come up in Delhi soon.
- This was informed by the DoNER Minister after chairing the review meeting of the “roadmap for implementation of Cabinet Approval of Schemes for North East Council” in New Delhi. The meeting reviewed the progress of various on-going projects in the North East.
- The Centre will act as a cultural and convention, information hub of the North Eastern Region in Delhi.
Core sector growth slows to 4.1% in March
The growth of eight core sectors slowed to a three-month low of 4.1% in March 2018, down from 5.3 per cent in February and 6.1 per cent in January.
- The Sequential decline in core sector growth in March is mainly due to weak performance in six sectors including coal, crude oil, natural gas, refinery products, steel and electricity.
- The growth rate of the eight infrastructure sectors, including fertilizers and cement, was 5.2% in March 2017, according to data released by the Commerce Ministry. The previous low was 3.8% in December 2017.
Shuttler Srikanth climbs to 3rd spot, Nehwal, Prannoy break into top 10 of BWF Rankings
India’s star shuttler and Commonwealth silver-medallist Kidambi Srikanth climbed to the third spot in the latest rankings released by the Badminton World Federation (BWF).
- Viktor Axelsen of Denmark is at the top spot followed by South Korean Son Wan Ho.
- In the women singles section, Indian star PV Sindhu continues to hold on to the third spot.
- Tai Tzu Ying of Chinese Taipei leads the women’s singles standings while Japan’s Akane Yamaguchi is at the second spot.
- Fellow Indian HS Prannoy and London Olympic bronze-medallist Saina Nehwal climb up two places to reach career-best eighth spot and tenth spot respectively.
Justin Langer Appointed Head Coach of Australian Cricket Team
Justin Langer has been named as Australian national cricket team’s new head coach, replacing Darren Lehmann, who resigned in the wake of the ball-tampering scandal.
- He will take the reins of all three formats for the next four years.
Hockey India recommends Manpreet Singh for Arjuna Award
Hockey India has announced the recommended players for the esteemed Arjuna Award, Dronacharya Award and Major Dhyan Chand Award for Lifetime Achievement 2018.
- Experienced midfielder Dharamvir Singh, Manpreet Singh and Indian women’s team ace goalkeeper Savita Punia have been recommended for the Arjuna Award.
- Sanggai Ibemhal Chanu and former India men’s captain Bharat Chetri have been recommended for the Dhyan Chand Award for Lifetime Achievement.
President presents 65th National Film Awards
The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, presented the 65th National Film Awards on May 3, 2018 in New Delhi.
List of winners of the 65th National Film Awards
Best Feature Film: Village Rockstars (Assamese)
Best Actress: Sridevi for MOM
Best Actor: Ridhhi Sen for Nagar Kirtan
Best Director: Jayaraj for Bhayanakam
Best Supporting Actress: Divya Dutta for Irada
Best Supporting Actor: Fahad Fazil for Thondimuthalum Driksakshiyum
Best Child Artiste: Bhanita Das for Village Rockstars
Best Popular Film:Baahubali: The Conclusion
Dada Saheb Phalke Award: Vinod Khanna
Best Action Direction:Baahubali 2
Best Choreography:Toilet: Ek Prem Katha (song: Gori Tu Latth Maar)
Best Special Effects:Baahubali: The Conclusion
Special Jury Award:Nagar Kirtan (Bengali)
Best Debut Film Of A Director: Sinjar (Jesari)
Best Short Film Fiction:Maiyat
Best Film On Family Values: Happy Birthday
Best Film for National Integration:Dhappa
Best Educational Film: The Girls We Were And The Women We Are
Best Anthropological Film: Name Place Animal Thing, Slave Genesis
Best Cinematography: Eye Test, Don
Best Adventure Film:Ladakh Chale Rickshaw Waale
Best Music:Sword Of Liberty
Best Narration:The Lion Of Ladhakh
Best Book On Cinema: Matamgi Manipur
Best Critic On Cinema Award: Giridhar Jha, Special Mention to Sunil Mishra
Best Lyrics:March 22 (song: Mutthu Ratna)
Best Music Director: A R Rahman for Kaatru Veliyidai
Best Background Score: A R Rahman for MOM
Best Make-Up Artiste: Ram Razak for Nagar Kirtan
Best Costume: Govinda Mondal for Nagar Kirtan
Best Production Design: Santosh Rajan for Take Off
Best Editing:Village Rockstars
Best Sound Designer and Re-Recordist: Samuel George, Justin A Jose for Walking With The Film
Best On Location Sound Recordist:Unrserved
Best Location Sound: Mallika Das for Village Rockstars
Best Original Screenplay:Thondimuthalum Driksakshiyum
Best Adapted Screenplay:Bhayankam
Best Playback Singer (Female): Shasha Tirupati for Vaan Varuvaan) from Kaatru Veliyidai
Best Playback Singer (Male): Yesudas for Poyi Maranja Kaalam from Viswasapoorvam Mansoor
Special Mention Awards: Pankaj Tripathy for Newton
Best Regional Films Awards (Best Hindi Film) :Newton
World Press Freedom Day: 3rd May
World Press Freedom Day was proclaimed by the UN General Assembly in December 1993, following the recommendation of UNESCO’s General Conference. Since then, 3 May, the anniversary of the Declaration of Windhoek, is celebrated worldwide as World Press Freedom Day.
- 2018 Theme: Keeping Power in Check: Media, Justice and The Rule of Law
Click here to read Current Affairs in English