Direction (1-5): In each question a sentence is given followed by a blank. Each blank is followed by three options and you have determine which option can be used in place of blank to give a meaningful sentence and mark it as your answer.
- The state of India’s healthcare system is somewhat dichotomous — the country is a global supplier of life-saving, affordable and good quality generic medicines, yet lakhs of families are driven into poverty because __________________ and savings on medications to treat chronic and life-threatening diseases.
a. expenses incurred by the population on treating various ailments
b. they are forced to spend much of their earnings
c. this has been known to India’s policy-makers for decadesOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly bAll are CorrectOption D
- It is hoped that the Ayushman Bharat Health Protection Mission, announced in the current year’s Budget and scheduled for rollout on August 15, will reverse the trend of rising OOP and ____________________.
a. older cases don’t slip through the gaps
b. increase access to quality healthcare
c. medication for the poorOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly aAll are CorrectOption B
- In the event, the very fact that US President Donald Trump and North Korea’s Kim Jong-Un met and held consecutive meetings that stretched for four hours, ____________________ and gives a lasting peace a chance at some point in the future.
a. immediately lowers temperatures in the Korean Peninsula
b. had the potential for a new relationship
c. Kim got to pose and negotiate with TrumpOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly aAll are CorrectOption D
- By allowing lateral entry into top, decision-making levels of the bureaucracy, the Centre has taken a bold first step towards ______________________. The idea behind throwing open about 10 posts of Joint Secretary level across ministries and departments is to invite expertise and specialisation.
a. dealing with intellectual property or services
b. reforming India’s Byzantine administrative set-up
c. denying that the bureaucracy has let the country downOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly bAll are CorrectOption D
- The US president’s mindset, that has been the subject of much alarm, _________________, was seen as one that did not care for political correctness or nuanced diplomacy.
a. introspection in his country
b. the atrocity in his country
c. the derision in his countryOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly aAll are CorrectOption C
- The state of India’s healthcare system is somewhat particular— the country is a global supplier of life-saving, affordable and good quality generic medicines, yet lakhs of families are vacillant into poverty because they are naive to spend much of their earnings and savings on medications to treat chronic and life-threatening diseases.
allied, lamzy, voluntarycollective, lethargic, optionaldichotomous, driven, forcedsole, motivated, sincereAll are CorrectOption C
- While the Mumbai bench has taken the correct legal position in holding that a law that came into effect on a specific foe cannot be applied retrospectively, allowing the controllers of defaulting firms to get back into the driving seat would go against the very timid of the Bankruptcy Code.
epoch, bumpers, enthusiasmdate, promoters, spiritescort, controllers, lethargicappointment, detractors,All are CorrectOption B
- The US administration also flexible that denuclearisation would have to happen immediately or on a very ambiguous timeline. Instead, the final agreement talked in the broadest possible terms about a craving “to establish a new US-DPRK relations in accordance with the desire …. for peace and prosperity.”
emphasised, definite, desirestressed, vague, disgustpointed, obscure, aversionitalicized, equivocal, hatredAll are CorrectOption A
- While politicians are sullied for corruption and misuse of public office, the less visible bureaucrats are hardly better. They have not acted as the sturdy ‘steel frame’ that Sardar Patel had genuine them to be. A shake-up is to be welcomed.
stigmatized, acted, unannouncedvilified, acted, effectivepenalized, acted, concretepilloried, acted, envisionedAll are CorrectOption D
- The summit is expected to involve bare discussions on two major sticking points — the US demand that North Korea give up its nuclear weapons programme and Pyongyang wanting Washington to raise, if not give out, its military presence in South Korea.
ornate, extend, outintricate, curtail, downelaborate, reduce, uplabyrinthine, augment, upAll are CorrectOption C
Which of the words/phrases (A), (B), (C) and (D) given below should replace the words/phrases given in bold in the following sentences to make it meaningful and grammatically correct? If the sentence is correct as it is and ‘No correction is required’, mark (E) as the answer.