Directions(1-5): In each of the following questions a passage is given in which there is a blank. Choose the most logical and appropriate option from the five options given that can be filled in the blank.
- Durand Cup is a prestigious football tournament conducted in the country. It was instituted in 1888 at Shimla by Sir Henry Mortimer Durand. _____________________________________.The Defence Services have been associated in organizing Durand Football Tournament right from its inception
It is the oldest tournament in Asia and third oldest in the world after Football Association Cup of England and Scotland Football Association Cup.128th Edition of Durand Football Tournament is scheduled from 28 Aug to 11 Sep 2016. Eight teams from Indian League of All India Football Federation and four Services teams will participate in the current edition.A total of 33 matches will be played at Ambedkar Stadium and Harbaksh Stadium. The tournament will be conducted in league format.This edition will see a splendid mix of football talent from all over the country.The Opening Ceremony and Inaugural match is scheduled from 1700 hrs on 28 Aug.Option A
- Private sector lender Axis Bank which is in the process of setting up an innovation lab in Bengaluru, has tied up with cloud services provider Amazon Web Services to support the startups getting incubated at the lab. ______________________________In June this year, Axis Bank had announced its plans to set up the innovation lab in the IT city with an aim of working towards innovating and introducing disruptive technologies in the banking and financial sector.
Under the parttnership, AWS would provide the required technology as well as access to mentorship to the startups that will be part of the accelerator programme at Thought Factory, the bank’s innovation lab.Other than Amazon, the Bank has also tied up with OCBC bank, Singapore.“They have a similar programme called Open Vault. We will look at how startups can share idea and information. We have also a tie up with IIT Mumbai,” said Amit Sethi, president and chief information officer of Axis Bank.The bank is looking to have more tie-ups for their incubation center in future to make it a fintech startup hub.Bengaluru is slowly emerging as the Fintech startup hub and banks and financial institutions are increasingly starting incubators and accelerators to encourage innovation in the space.Option A
- Sajjan Jindal controlled JSW Group with interests in steel, energy, infrastructure and cement has committed an investment of Rs 50,000 crore in Odisha on a 10 million tonne mega steel project. “JSW Steel will set up a 10 million tonne (mt) steel plant in Odisha at an estimated investment of Rs 50,000 crore. In the first phase, the company will set up a 4 mt steel mill. Later, the capacity would be ramped up to 10 mt,” JSW Group Chairperson Sajjan Jindal said after his meeting with Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik at the Global Investors’ meet in Bengaluru. Jindal declined to comment on the location of the proposed steel mill, hinting it may come up at a place close to Paradip. _________________________________.
JSW Steel had initially expressed his intention to set up a steel plant in Odisha in July 2013 at a location close to a port to get easy access to sourcing raw materials and exporting finished steel products.Sajjan Jindal who then met the state chief minister had announced an initial investment of Rs 15,000 crore.He had labelled Odisha the best state for steel investments with its raw material availability, manpower and also strong support from the government.JSW Steel is the flagship company of the $11 billion JSW Group with an installed steel making capacity of 18 million tonne per annum.Talks are on with the state government to firm up the detailed contours of the project, he said.Option E
- While Bangladesh is among the top five countries at risk of disaster, India ranks 77th on the World Risk Index, marginally better positioned than Pakistan which is placed 72. The index is part of the World Risk Report 2016 released on Thursday by the United Nations University Institute for Environment and Human Security (UNU-EHS) and Bundnis Entwicklung Hilft in cooperation with the University of Stuttgart in Germany. ____________________.
The index assessed the risk of disaster in 171 countries through the combined analysis of natural hazards and societal vulnerabilities.“When it comes to aid measures following extreme natural events, the challenges mostly lie in the ‘last mile’ of the logistics chain: organising transportation despite destroyed streets or bridges and ensuring fair distribution when there is a shortage of (for example) water, food, and shelter,” explained Peter Mucke, Project Manager of the World Risk Report and Managing Director of Bundnis Entwicklung Hilft.Crumbling transport routes, unreliable electricity grids, and dilapidated buildings not only hinder humanitarian aid from overseas, but also delay crucial aid for those affected in the event of a disaster, Mucke noted.“The international community must invest more in the establishment and development of critical infrastructure even before disasters occur,” Matthias Garschagen, Scientific Director for the report and Lead Scientist at United Nations University Institute for Environment and Human Security, observed.“Sufficient, high-quality infrastructure, which is well-managed institutionally, can not only prevent the often catastrophic consequences of natural hazards such as flooding or storms, but it can also play a crucial role in the distribution of humanitarian aid supplies in the event of a disaster. Critical infrastructure can thus reduce the risk of natural hazards for populations and absorb economic losses,” Garschagen said.Option A
- Deputy Prime Minister of Singapore Tharman Shanmugaratnam on Friday called upon Prime Minister Narendra Modi during his visit to India. Shanmugaratnam has been invited to New Delhi to address top policy-makers on “Fulfilling India’s Potential in the Global Economy” during the inauguration of NITI Aayog’s maiden annual lecture on Transforming India. ____________________________ .
The annual lecture series on Transforming India was proposed by Prime Minister Modi to bring in international personalities to share their experiences and ideas on India.Earlier, in November 2015, Prime Minister Modi visited Singapore and signed nine bilateral documents in areas of defence, maritime security, cyber security, narcotics trafficking, urban planning, civil aviation, and culture to further strengthen the ties between the two nations.Prime Minister Modi will on Friday inaugurate the event which will be attended by nearly 1,400 delegates, including Union Ministers, Chief Ministers and senior officers.Prime Minister Modi had visited Singapore earlier in 2015 to attend the State Funeral of Lee Kuan Yew on 29 March.His participation in the funeral along with the declaration of the funeral day as a day of mourning in India was deeply appreciated by the Singapore Government.Option B
- A. The Goods and Services Network(GSTN) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Director General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) for sharing of foreign exchange realisation and Import Export code data, a move that is expected to strengthen processing of export transactions of taxpayers under GST, increase transparency and reduce human interface.
B. The Memorandum of Understanding was signed by Shri Ajay K Bhalla, Director General of Foreign Trade and Shri Prakash Kumar, CEO, GSTN in New Delhi on 27.10.16.
a) Following which
c) ApparentlyOnly aOnly bOnly cBoth a & bNone of theseOption C
- A. Chinese Communist Party chief Xi Jinping’s ascension to the highest title in the party hierarchy formalises his position as its pre-eminent figure, analysts said, making him the country’s most powerful leader in a generation and inviting comparisons with Mao Zedong.
B. The ruling party’s declaration that Mr. Xi is the “core” of its leadership saw some observers argue it heralded the beginnings of a personality cult, smacking of the adulation that once surrounded Communist China’s founding father, who ruled for three decades.
a) To which
c) ThusOnly aOnly bOnly cBoth b & cAllOption B
- A. A UN General Assembly committee voted to launch negotiations on a new treaty banning nuclear weapons despite fierce opposition from the world’s nuclear powers.
B. A resolution presented by Austria, Ireland, Mexico, Nigeria, South Africa and Brazil was adopted by a vote of 123 to 38, with 16 abstentions, following weeks of lobbying by the nuclear powers for ‘no’ votes.
a) But earlier
c) As of nowOnly aOnly bOnly cBoth a & bNone of theseOption C
- A. Sharad Kumar, a 1979-batch Haryana cadre IPS officer, was appointed chief of the NIA on July 30, 2015.
B. The government decided to retain NIA chief Sharad Kumar for another year, with the appointments committee of the cabinet clearing his reappointment till October 31 next year.
b) Not only
c) AlsoOnly aOnly bOnly cBoth a & cNone of theseOption A
- A. A stroke is a brain attack.
B. It happens when the blood supply to part of the brain is cut off.
b) Which c) ConsequentlyOnly aOnly bOnly cBoth a & bNone of theseOption D
Directions(6-10): Pick out the option which when used to start a sentence combines both the sentences in one.