Directions (1-5): In each question given below a sentence is given and is divided into three parts. For each part a correction statement is also given(I,II and III). You have to determine which part requires correction and mark it as your answer.
- We have not even begun to analyse the hazards of water, soil, solid waste, light and noise pollutions/ and the serious and irreversible health hazards caused/ just by breathing or existing in this highly toxic environment.
I. We have not even begun to analyse the hazards of water, soil, solid waste, light and noise pollution
II. and the serious and irreversible health hazards causing
III. just by breathing or existing in this high toxic environmentBoth I,IIOnly IIIOnly IBoth I,IIINone of theseOption C
Pollution will be used as singular only
- It is often said that adversity increases/ the level of our patience and endurance,/so that we can hold all the broken pieces of our mind to start fresh.
I. It is often said adversity increases
II. the level of our patience and enduring,
III. so that we can hold all the broken pieces of our mind to start afreshOnly IIIOnly IBoth II,IIIBoth I,IINone of theseOption A
Replace fresh by ‘afresh’ (used as an adverb)
- With food production getting increasingly/ non-viable and have become heavily resource-intensive, alternative sources of food/ have become the intensive focus of research.
I. With food production having gotten increasingly
II. non-viable and becoming heavily resource-intensive, alternative sources of food
III. have become the intensively focus of researchOnly IIOnly IBoth I,IIIOnly IINone of theseOption D
Replace ‘have become’ by ‘becoming’
- People often differentiate between working hard and working smart./ In the first case, one slog/ and get a more or less satisfactory result.
I. People often differentiated between working hard and working smart
II. In the first case, one slogs
III. and gets a more or less satisfactory resultOnly IOnly IIIBoth II,IIIBoth I,IIINone of theseOption C
In II,replace ‘slog’ by ‘slogs’
In III,replace ‘get’ by ‘gets’
- It is our responsibility to ensure that the waste we generate/ is reduced because segregation at source/ is not something we need laws to enforce on us.
I. It is our responsibility to ensure which the waste we generate
II. is reduced because segregation at sourcing
III. is not something we need laws to enforced on usOnly IIBoth II,IIIOnly IBoth I,IINone of theseOption E
- _____________________________________________. And it is the poorest who often live near waste dumps and power their city’s recycling system through waste picking, leaving them susceptible to serious health repercussions. While this is a topic that people are aware of, waste generation is increasing at an alarming rate. Countries are rapidly developing without adequate systems in place to manage the changing waste composition of citizens.
Reuse and recycling will help in economic growth while minimising environmental impacts.Cities, home to over half of humanity and generating more than 80% of the world’s GDP, are at the forefront of tackling the global waste challenge.In recent years, landslides of waste dumps have buried homes and people under piles of waste.The need of the hour is to create good waste management system.And all these are contaminating the world’s oceans, clogging drains and causing flooding.Option C
- ndia has set an ambitious target of achieving 40 GW of rooftop solar capacity by 2022. However, while there has been progress on rooftop solar installations among industries and commercial consumers. _______________________________. Urban residential electricity consumers are still hesitant to consider rooftop solar power for their homes. For residential urban consumers, one of the key barriers to installing rooftop solar systems is that they do not know who to contact to understand the processes to be followed and permissions required.
Providing basic training in billing and metering for solar power can go a long way in improving consumers’ experienceThere is no single source to access information, evaluate benefits and disadvantages.A significant majority of consumers recommendations from friends and family.Devising simple to disseminate information is important to help consumers make informed decisions.The uptake among residential consumers too has been slowOption E
- In the day and age we are in, it’s easy to say” technology spoils us”. But it’s only us who can and have to use it______________________________________. Solutions need to be found out for the younger generations in particular to prevent gaming addiction. All stakeholders , starting with parents,teachers, government agencies with online and social media platforms need to collaborate to curb the negatives of online gaming.
The mobile phone is something that is with you every day.Gaming and esports are on the rise as large scale industries and are not just “recreations” anymore.Violent video games are affecting their psychology and making them aggressive.India also forms a huge market for online gaming platformsAll these factors lead to less social interaction, less physical activity, and poor academic and curricular performances.Option B
- In today’s digital era, one of the biggest threats comes from cyber criminals. _________________________________________. According to surveys conducted by cyber security firms in the country, Indian firms lost more than $4 billion in 2013 alone because of hackers. With more and more companies entering the e-commerce ecosystem and adopting new technologies like cloud computing, the threat from imminent security breaches is clearly demanding the need for efficient information security systems.
There is a need to assess the system with a holistic approach.Hackers were not taken seriously until a few years backAnd ‘Ethical hacking’ solutions are possibly the best way of examining such systems and fine-tuning any minor gaps that may lead to compromise of the entire organization.Hefty sums of money are paid to hackers to keep confidential information from being disclosed.The security of an enterprise should be analysed for effectiveness from time to time.Option B
- The moral values in life hold great importance from the point of personal, social and spiritual development.________________________________. Values are what we learn from childhood; the ‘stuff’ we acquired from our parents and immediate surroundings. Values are the motive power behind purposeful action. Moral values are meant for making the quest to find the higher self an easier. Ethics, on the other hand, are how we actually do behave in the face of difficult situations that test our moral fiber.
Values, morals and ethics are inextricably tied together.Unfortunately, many amongst us may find it difficult to follow values such as truthfulness and honesty.Because we have not perceived the subtle gains that come to us by following these values.Ethics are the code or principles on which one’s character dependsValues are essential to ethics develop at an early age and can be instrumental to building character.Option A
Directions(6-10) In each of the following questions, a short passage is given with one of the lines missing and represented by a blank. Select the best out of the five answer choices given, to make the passage compete and coherent.(coherent means logically complete and sound)