Directions (1-5): Read each of the sentences to find out whether there is any grammatical mistake/error in it. The error, if any, will be in TWO PARTS of the sentence. The combination of those parts is the answer. If no part in the sentence has an error, then select ‘No error’ as your answer. (Ignore the errors of punctuation, if any)
- On the eve of World Environment Day,(A)/ the city denizens expressed their concern (B)/ through the rising levels of pollution (C)/ and deteriorated quality of air in the city. (D)
ACBDCDBCNo errorOption C
In C—to show concern about something, we use over here instead of through.
In D— To make sentence parallelism, deteriorated should not be used as rising is used in the previous part deteriorating is the right word to be used here.
- As India awaits the arrival of the (A)/annual summer monsoon, hopes are particularly high (B)/ for normal rainfall that is so vital for agriculture, (C)/ the health of forests, rivers, and wetlands. (D)
ACBDCDBCNo errorOption E
- The researchers also have (A)/lagged on building structures to harvest (B)/ surface water and helping farmers (C)/ raise the efficient of irrigation. (D)
ACCDBCBDNo ErrorOption D
In B, Someone must be lagged in something, so in is the right usage instead of on
In D, after any article noun should be used whereas efficient is an adjective. So, efficiency should be used.
- The southwest monsoon is a determinant (A)/ of India’s overall prosperity, and sustain efforts (B)/ to make the better use of rainfall are (C)/ absolutely important for farms, cities, and industry. (D)
ACCDBCBDNo errorOption C
In B—To tell some qualities either positive or negative of a noun, the adjective is used, hence sustained is used before efforts instead of sustain.
In C With the superlative degree is used so, best is the right word.
- The government expects recovery (A)/of about ₹70,000 crore from the 12 big companies that (B)/ was identified for bankruptcy proceedings (C)/ under the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code(D)
ACCDBCBDNo errorOption A
In A—An article will be used before noun i.e. recovery.
In C—were will be used instead of was as it is talking about companies.
- The story so far has been thrown up a legal tussle between the Centre’s contention that it is probing a terrorist conspiracy involving Maoist insurgents and their urban supporters and the counter-argument that this is a thinly disguised crackdown on political dissent.
i.has thrown up a legal tussle among the Centre’s contention
ii.has been thrown up a legal tussle among the Centre’s contention
iii.has thrown up a legal tussle between the Centre’s contentionOnly IOnly IIOnly IIIBoth I and IINo correction requiredOption C
- Given that over the summer both countries start taxing $50-billion worth of the other’s imports, if Mr. Trump makes good on his threat of additional tariffs, all Chinese imports to the U.S., nearly 4% of world trade, will come under the tax net.
i.Given that over the summer both countries started taxed
ii.Given that over the summer both countries started taxing
iii.Given that over the summer both countries start taxingOnly IOnly IIOnly IIIBoth I and IINo correction requiredOption B
- The Supreme Court has ordered a stay on the Reserve Bank of India’s circular asking banks to recognize loans as non-performing hence repayment was delayed by just one day, and resolve them within 180 days.
i.even if repayment was delayed by just one day
ii.although repayment was delayed by just one day
iii.inspite of the fact that repayment was delayed by just one dayOnly IOnly II and IIIOnly I and IIAll I, II, IIINo correction requiredOption D
- Many in recent years have blamed the crisis on neoliberalism – the economic deregulation inherent to that ideology, favoring privatization and an unregulated free market, has fueled inequality and poverty, which in turn has fueled the rise of fascism, xenophobia, militarism and other social woes.
i.Many have blamed the crisis on neoliberalism in recent years
ii.In recent years the crisis of neoliberalism is blamed
iii.Blaming the crisis on neoliberalism has started in recent yearsOnly IOnly II and IIIOnly I and IIAll I, II and IIINo correction requiredOption E
- A common way safeguarding against attacks is making software patches and install them on users’ computers as necessary.
i.Safeguarding against attacks is to make
ii.to safeguard against attacks is to make
iii.to safeguard against attacks is makingOnly IOnly IIOnly IIIOnly II and IIINo correction requiredOption B
Directions (6-10): Which of the following phrases given below the sentence can replace the words /phrase given in the bold in the sentence grammatically and meaningfully? If none of the phrases can replace the word/phrase given in bold in the sentence, select ‘None’ as the answer. If the sentence is correct as it is, your answer is an option (E) i.e. No correction required