Directions(1-5): Identify the words that are similar in meaning to the phrase QUOTED. If none of the options conveys the correct meaning, mark (E) as your answer. The options do not necessarily need to be grammatically correct.
- The GST is ”the elephant in the room” in the sense that nobody knows which way it is going.
The topic in vogueThe issue being avoidedMore than one issueSomething that causes confusionAn urgent appealOption B
- I hate to ”rain on your parade” , but lots of people have tried that strategy and it hasn’t worked yet.
To get emotionalTo motivate someoneTo discourage someoneTo make a mistakeNone of the aboveOption C
- Her much awaited return to the game last weekend was ”put on ice” for the time being.
Preserve somethingBehave in a cold mannerFailurePostpone somethingPre-pone somethingOption D
- He was upset to find his previously friendly colleagues ”giving him the cold shoulder”.
DisappointedBest behaviourShun someoneBlind angerDeliberate denialOption C
Give someone the cold shoulder: Ignore someone
- Comparing America’s economic growth to that of India’s is like ”comparing apples to oranges” .
Find differences between two similar things.Find similarities between two different things.Compare notes and statisticsIdentical in natureNone of the aboveOption B
- There is a view that the ‘across (A)’ of the rupee has been the ‘appreciation (B)’ of a general ‘result (C)’ of the dollar ‘depreciation (D)’ all currencies.
Only A-DBoth B-C and A-DOnly B-DBoth A-B and C-DThe sentence is correctOption B
There is a view that the depreciation of the rupee has been the result of a general appreciation of the dollar across all currencies.
- Since the ‘stable (A)’ of capital flows in 1991, India has always faced a current account ‘deficit (B)’ but inflows of capital have ‘allowed (C)’ the country to have a ‘liberalisation (D)’ balance of payments (BoP).
Both B-D and A-COnly A-BOnly A-DBoth B-C and A-DThe sentence is correctOption C
Since the liberalisation of capital flows in 1991, India has always faced a current account deficit but inflows of capital have allowed the country to have a stable balance of payments (BoP).
- The razzmatazz for toilet construction/ODF certification has ‘overshadowed (A)’ the fact that the ‘essence (B)’ of universal water and sanitation coverage is ‘derived (C)’ from the right to life, ‘guaranteed (D)’ by Article 21 of the Constitution.
Both A-D and B-COnly A-BOnly B-CBoth A-B and C-DThe sentence is correctOption E
- Union minister M.J. Akbar ‘newspapers (A)’ to take legal action against several women ‘journalists (B)’ who had ‘accused (C)’ him of sexual harassment at two ‘threatened (D)’ where he had been editor.
Both A-B and C-DOnly A-BOnly C-DOnly A-DThe sentence is correctOption D
Union minister M.J. Akbar threatened to take legal action against several women journalists who had accused him of sexual harassment at two newspapers where he had been editor.
- The Election Commission has ‘announced (A)’ second installment of 1,100 more VVPATs ‘ensuing (B)’ the State for the ‘to (C)’ elections in the first ‘week (D)’ of December.
Both B-D and A-CBoth A-B and C-DBoth B-C and A-DOnly B-CThe sentence is correctOption D
The Election Commission has announced second installment of 1,100 more VVPATs to the State for the ensuing elections in the first week of December.
Directions(6-10): In each of the questions given below, four words are given in quotation. These four words may or may not be in their correct position. The sentence is then followed by options with the correct combination of words that should replace each other in order to make the sentence grammatically and contextually correct. Find the correct combination of words that replace each other. If the sentence is correct as it is, select ‘E’ as your option.