Directions(1-5): In the given question, statements with two blanks are stated. Each blank can be filled with more than one word. Find the combination(s) which can most suitably complete the sentence without altering the meaning of the statement.
- ______ in cigar smoke, with a voice that ranges from a _______ mumble to a stentorian roar, Oldman looks and sounds the part.
V. WaftingI-IIV-IIIII-IV-IVIV-IIIOption C
Stentorian refers to a person’s voice which is loud and powerful. Mumble refers to a quiet and indistinct utterance.
I: Slur is a verb which means to speak words indistinctly so that the sounds run into one another. It can be used in the second blank.
II: Smother is a verb which means to kill someone by covering their nose and mouth so that they suffocate. In simple words, it means to kill by suffocation in any manner. It can be used in both blanks.
III: Wreath is a verb which means to cover, surround, or encircle. It can be used in the first blank.
IV: Muffled is an adjective refers to a sound that is not loud because of being obstructed in some way; muted. It can be used in the second blank.
V: Waft is a verb used with reference to a scent or sound that passes or causes to pass gently through the air.
Note that we never say “wafting in cigar smoke.”
- ____ over until I was standing right in front of his Spanish colonial, I peered into his premises, subconsciously knowing that a mystery lurked, but I knew that I had to pretend like I was just going for a walk past his house, _____ next to his yard, observing the beauty.
V. MaunderingV-IIII-IVIV-II-VII-IIIOption E
I: Barge is a verb which means to move forcefully or roughly.
II: Saunter is a verb which means to walk in a slow, relaxed manner. It can be used in both blanks.
III: Meandering refers to an act of following a winding course; an indirect or aimless journey. It also means ‘wander at random.’ It can be used in both blanks.
IV: Hunch is a verb which means to raise one’s shoulders and bend the top of one’s body forward. It can be used in the first blank.
V: Maunder means to move or act in a dreamy or idle manner.
- Important helpline numbers are being circulated among women workers for _______ in the event of an ________.
V. IntimationV-IIII-III-IIII-VIV-IOption A
I: Exigency is an urgent need or demand. It can be used in the second blank.
II: Exploitation refers to the action or fact of treating someone unfairly in order to benefit from their work.
III: Rescue refers to an act of saving or being saved from danger or difficulty. It can be used in the first blank.
IV: Urgency means ‘importance requiring swift action.’ It can be used in the second blank.
V: Intimation refers to an indication or hint.
- Yes, Orientalism was dense and somewhat _______, but I felt for once I had read something that seemed to understand the deep racial, ________ and systemic nature of the Empire.
V. OpaqueII-IIIIII-II-IIIV-IIIV-IVOption D
I: Eloquent means fluent or persuasive in speaking or writing. In other words, it means ‘clearly expressing or indicating something.’ It can be used in the first blank.
II: Duplicitous means deceitful.
III: Multi-faceted means having many sides or having many different aspects or features. It can be used in both blanks.
IV: Esoteric means ‘intended for or likely to be understood by only a small number of people with a specialized knowledge or interest.’ It can be used in the first blank.
V: Opaque means not able to be seen through; not transparent.
- All the while, the populace has been lulled into _____, indoctrinated into ______, bombarded with media distractions, and hypnotized by subliminal messages beamed out of television and various electronic devices, billboards and the like.
V. ConformationI-VII-VV-IIIIV-IIIV-IOption E
I: Compliance is the act or fact of complying with a wish or command. It can be used in the second blank.
II: Contentment refers to a state of happiness and satisfaction. It can be used in the first blank.
III: Conformity is the act of matching attitudes, beliefs, and behaviors to group norms. Norms are implicit, specific rules, shared by a group of individuals, that guide their interactions with others. In other words, it means ‘compliance with standards, rules, or laws.’ It can be used in the second blank.
IV: Complacency refers to a feeling of smugness or uncritical satisfaction with oneself or one’s achievements. It can be used in the first blank.
V: Conformation refers to the shape or structure of something, especially an animal.
- 1) the relevant factors behind it, (A)/ a skill that not everyone has (B)/ recognise and then explain (C)/ however, these people fail to (D)
2) we are often drawn to people (A)/ shape our choice of mentor (B)/ emulate, and this can often (C)/ whom we most admire or would like to (D)
3) engineer access to your mentor’s (A)/ as a mentee, you should aim to (B)/ considerable networks and contacts, (C)/ most importantly, with their blessing (D)
4) approaching someone like Debbie Isitt (A)/ mentor; if you’re a film-maker, you might consider (B)/ if you’re an artist you might be thinking (C)/ Damien Hirst would be the ideal (D)
What should be the correct sequence of statement 1?DCABBACDACDBADCBDBACOption A
- What should be the correct sequence of statement 2?
- What should be the correct sequence of statement 3?
- What should be the correct sequence of statement 4?
- Three out of four sentences, when rearranged, form a coherent paragraph. Find the sentence that does not fit into the major theme of the passage.
412All fit3Option B
Directions(6-10): The following question carries four statements, each of which have been jumbled. You have to unjumble these words and answer the questions that follow.