Directions(1-5): In the following passage, there are blanks each of which has been numbered. These numbers correspond to the question numbers. Against each question, five words have been suggested, one of which would fill the blank appropriately. Mark the suitable word as the answer.
Electronic commerce, also known as e-commerce, has developed (1) in the last few years. In this paper, I will talk about the advantages along with the disadvantages of e-commerce. E-commerce consists of many things. People today are aware of the common phrase ‘e-commerce’, but there is a lot more to it than they are (2) of. “Most people think e-commerce is just about buying and selling things over the Internet” (Wareham, 2000). E-commerce is a broad term describing the electronic exchange of business data between two or more organization’s computers. E-commerce includes buying and selling any item over the Internet, electronic fund transfer, smart cards, and all other methods of conducting business over digital networks.
“The primary technological goal of e-commerce is to (3) businesses, government agencies, and contractors into a single community with the ability to communicate with one another across any computer platform.” (Edwards, 1998). Putting companies on the Internet to sell products or to organize any type of business has many advantages and disadvantages.
With the quick (4) of the Internet, many companies are finding new and exciting ways to expand their business opportunities. To (5) the point that the effect of the Internet is widely spread in today’s business communities, I would like to refer to an article I found on the web which stated that more than 100,000 companies have Internet addresses, and 20,000 companies have home pages on the Internet as of February 1999 (Data Quest, 1999). These numbers have tripled since 1995, and this growth shows no signs of slowing down.
Find out the appropriate word in each case.
Abridgment: a shortened version of a larger work.
Emphasize means to give special importance( or to lay stress) or value to something in speaking or writing.
- There are two economic environment destructors _______________ these days – a dynamic business environment and global compliances and secondly currency ____________ in economies worldwide.
dominant, changewidespread, vibrationspeculiar, swingprevailing, fluctuationsmarginal, fluxOption D
- Modern economic development _______ heavily on interactions, which in turn require a high density of firms, skills, and _______.
relies, innovatorsdevastation, ancestorsdilapidation, commerceoblivion, bring indecay, bring forwardOption A
Dilapidation: the state or process of falling into decay or being in disrepair.
- Over these decades, we have made progress in many ____________ of activity, but there is one area where things seem to be sharply ______________, the state of Indian languages.
globes, alertdomains, betteringskies, witheringscopes, briskspheres, deterioratingOption E
- Interestingly, Raja Ramanna, who towered in the field of atomic sciences, was also ______ interested in philosophy and well ____ with the scriptures.
keenly, acquainteddeep, taughtkeenly, studieddeep, acquaintedkeenly, taughtOption A
- This will be a significant area for ______________, as the real estate sector has vast potential for a ____________ growth in the coming years.
investment, robustsavings, brawnycash, feeblesiege, effeteoutlay, stoutOption A
Siege: an operation in which a police or other force surround a building and cut off supplies, with the aim of forcing an armed person to surrender.
Outlay: an amount of money spent on something.
brawny: physically strong; muscular.
effete: no longer capable of effective action.
Directions(6-10): A sentence with two blanks is given, each blank indicating that something has been omitted. Choose the words that best fit in the given blanks making the sentence grammatically correct and meaningful.