Directions(1-5): In the given questions, one statement with a blank is given along with four words. Two of the given words can fit into the given blank. Five options with various combinations of these words are given. Pick up the combination of the words that fits into the blank.
- The inconvenient paradox is that the poor who are the most vulnerable to climate change are also the greatest ___________ beneficiaries of polluting, greenhouse gas emitting fossil fuels.
d) Dormanta-bb-cb-dc-da-dOption B
- The National Library of India not only ___________ the largest number of books but, it also ranks well in terms of maintenance, cleanliness, architecture and historical importance.
d) Hunchesa-bb-cb-dc-da-dOption C
To hinder means to make it difficult for (someone) to do something or for (something) to happen. To hunch means to raise (one’s shoulders) and bend the top of one’s body forward.
- The ability to change colour is well-documented among frogs during mating, where males ___________ a temporary or permanent colour change to attract females.
d) Subjecteda-bb-cb-dc-da-dOption A
To abide means to accept or act in accordance with (a rule, decision, or recommendation).
- Rare tree species, earlier thought to have been found only in the southern and central Western Ghats, have recently been ___________ further up north in the swamps of Valpoi taluka in Goa.
d) Discovereda-bb-cb-dc-da-dOption D
- Artificial intelligence-based health applications are increasing rapidly and there is a need for a ___________ for regulation, validation and prequalification – similar to the regulation of drugs, medical devices and vaccines.
d) Plana-bb-cb-dc-da-dOption E
- a) Sombre
The word ‘Sombre’ means having or conveying a feeling of deep seriousness and sadness.
‘Dim’ means not shining brightly or clearly. Thus, both the words are synonyms to each other.
‘Atrocious’ means horrifyingly wicked.
- a) Oblivion
d) Fatiguea-ca-da-bc-db-dOption E
The word ‘Lethargy’ means to have a lack of energy or enthusiasm. ‘Fatigue’ means extreme tiredness resulting from mental or physical exertion or illness. Thus, both the words are synonyms of each other. ‘Oblivion’ means the state of being unaware or unconscious of what is happening around one. The word ‘Apathy’ means a lack of interest, enthusiasm or concern.
Recalcitrant – having an obstinately uncooperative attitude towards authority or discipline.
Biddable – meekly ready to accept and follow instructions.
Stubborn – having or showing dogged determination not to change one’s attitude or position on something, especially in spite of good arguments or reasons to do so.
Refractory – stubborn or unmanageable.
Intractable – hard to control or deal with.
Ironic – using or characterized by irony.
Sardonic – grimly mocking or cynical.
Sincere – free from pretence or deceit
Derisive – expressing contempt or ridicule.
Dry – (of a joke or sense of humour) subtle and expressed in a matter-of-fact way.
Presumptuous – (of a person or their behaviour) failing to observe the limits of what is permitted or appropriate.
Humble – having or showing a modest or low estimate of one’s importance.
Compliant – disposed to agree with others or obey rules, especially to an excessive degree; acquiescent.
Bashful – reluctant to draw attention to oneself
Timid – showing a lack of courage or confidence
Directions(6-7): In the following question, four words are given of which two are most nearly the same or opposite in meaning. Find the pair of words and indicate your answer by marking the option which represents the correct combination.
Directions(8-10): Choose the word from the following options which is opposite in meaning to the other words.