Directions(1-6): In the given question, a part of the sentence is printed in brackets. Below the sentence, three alternatives to the bracketed part are given which may help improve the sentence. Choose the option that reflects the correct use of the phrase in the context of the sentence. In case the given sentence is correct, your answer is (E), i.e., “No correction required”.
- The (earliest rocket parts were carried) to ISRO over cycles and bullock carts.
i. earliest rocket positions would be carried
ii. further rocket parts would be carried
iii. earliest rocket parts was to be carriedOnly iOnly iiOnly iiiBoth ii and iiiNo correction requiredOption E
- Unlike in Western countries, where (most of the salt comes into processed foods), most salt consumed in China comes from the salt added while cooking.
i. more salts are making their way into processed food
ii. more salts are becoming a part of the produce food
iii. most of the salt comes from processed foodsOnly iOnly iiOnly iiiBoth ii and iiiNo correction requiredOption C
- (Intelligent design advocates claim that the eye is a perfect example) of an irreducibly complex structure due to its many elaborate and interlocking parts.
i. Intelligent design advocates claims that the eye is a perfect example
ii. Intelligent design advocates claims that the eyes are a perfect example
iii. Intelligent design advocate claim that the eye is a perfect exampleOnly iOnly iiOnly iiiBoth i and iiiNo correction requiredOption E
- The current policy of ownership and governance in banking (need to be reviewed urgently in correction to the outdated and distorted) policies.
i. needs to be reviewed urgently to correct the outdated and distorted
ii. needed to be reviewed urgently for correcting the outdated and distorted
iii needs urgent review to correct the outdated and distortedOnly iOnly iiOnly iiiBoth i and iiiNo correction requiredOption D
- Telescopes, capable of directly imaging (the oceans and land masses of other world), are probably at least a couple of decades away.
i. the oceans and land masses of another world
ii. the oceans or land mass of other worldly
iii. the ocean and land masses at other worldOnly iBoth i and iiOnly iiiBoth ii and iiiNo correction requiredOption A
- She pulled the blanket (round her shoulders and curled up a shivering ball), staring through the window into the darkness.
i. around her shoulders and curled a shivering ball
ii. around her shoulders and curled up in a shivering ball
iii. around her shoulders and curled up into a shivering ballOnly iOnly iiOnly iiiBoth ii and iiiNo correction requiredOption C
The phrase ‘curl up’ means to sit in a comfortable position with your back curved and your legs and arms close to your chest.
- 1. A market for Indian art has existed ever since the international art scene sprang to life.
A) But interest in architectural conceits is an unanticipated fallout of the Festivals of India of the ’80s, which were designed to increase exports of Indian crafts.
B) Simultaneously, the Indian elite discarded their synthetic sarees and kitsch plastic furniture and a market came into being.
C) Western dealers, unhappy in a market afflicted by violent price fluctuations and unpredictable profit margins, began to look East, and found cheap antiques with irresistible appeal.
D) The fortunes of the Delhi supremos, the Jew Town dealers in Cochin and myriad others around the country were made.
6. A chain of command was established, from the local contacts to the provincial dealers and up to the big boys, who entertain the Italians and the French, cutting deals worth lakhs in warehouses worth crores.
The correct logical order is 1CBAD6.
- 1.Buddhism is a way to salvation.
A) But Buddhism is more severely analytical.
B) In the Christian tradition there is also a concern for the fate of human society conceived as a whole, rather than merely as a sum or network of individuals.
C) Salvation is a property, or achievement of individuals.
D) Not only does it dissolve society into individuals, the individual in turn is dissolved into component parts and instants, a stream of events.
6. In modern terminology, Buddhist doctrine is reductionist.BACDCBADCDABCDBADBCAOption B
The correct logical order is 1CBAD6.
- 1. Liz Taylor isn’t just unlucky in love.
A) She, and husband Larry Fortensky, will have to pay the tab — $4,32,600 in court costs.
B) The duo claimed that a 1993 story about a property dispute damaged their reputations.
C) Taylor has just filed a defamation suit against the National Enquirer.
D) She is unlucky in law too.
6. Alas, all levels of the California court system disagreed.CDABDCABDABCCDBAABCDOption B
The correct logical order is 1DCAB6.
- 1. Hiss was serving as Head of the Endowment on August 3, 1948, when Whittaker Chambers reluctantly appeared before the House Un-American Activities Committee.
A. Chambers, a portly rumpled man with a melodramatic style, had been a Communist courier but had broken with the party in 1938.
B. When Nixon arranged a meeting of the two men in New York, Chambers repeated his charges and Hiss his denials.
C. Summoned as a witness, Hiss denied that he had ever been a Communist or had known Chambers.
D. He told the Committee that among the members of a secret Communist cell in Washington during the 1930s was Hiss.
6. Then, bizarrely, Hiss asked Chambers to open his mouth.CBADADBCADCBACDBBDCAOption C
The correct logical order is 1ADCB6.
Directions(7-10): In the given questions, there are six sentences 1, A, B, C, D and 6, which when properly sequenced, form a coherent paragraph. Choose the most logical order of sentences from among the five given choices to construct a coherent paragraph keeping 1 and 6 as the first and the last statements respectively.