Directions(1-5): Five alternatives A, B, C, D, E are given under each sentence. You are required to select the most suitable alternative to fill in the blank in the sentence to make it meaningful.
- In order to maintain good health one should eat a _____ diet.
- It was impossible to recover the victims’ bodies as the place of the accident was ______.
- The salt spray has gradually ______ the bridge.
- Rajeev is too ______ as far as his food habits are concerned.
Fastidious–very concerned about matters of cleanliness
- My father keeps all his _______ papers in a lock and key.
- The floor of the hall was (covered by) a carpet.
Covered inCovered withCovered uponCovered withinNo improvementOption B
- I would like (to avail) a fifteen day holiday this summer.
To avail ofTo avail myself ofTo avail myselfTo availing ofNo improvementOption B
‘Avail’ takes a reflexive pronoun after it if it has an object to express.
- When we saw him last, he (ran) to catch a bus.
Has runHad runWas runningWould have runNo improvementOption C
- Hardly had he finished his lunch (than) the phone rang.
WhenWhileThenThanNo improvementOption A
Hardly…..When is the expression that is commonly used.
- If I (had) money, I would send to you.
Had hadHave hadHaveHad haveNo improvementOption E
Directions(6-10) In the following questions, you will find sentences, part of which are highlighted. Compare the highlighted part of each sentence with the expression A, B, C, D given below. Choose the expression which is an improvement of the highlighted part. If none of the expressions improves the sentence, then choose Option E.