Directions(1-4): Read the following sentence to find out if there is any error in it. The sentence is divided into four parts. The option containing the part of the sentence containing an error is the answer. If the given sentence is correct as it is, mark E, i.e., ‘No error’ as the answer. Ignore the errors of punctuation if any.
- Anybody else seems (1)/ to think the deal will (2)/ be done and dusted by (3)/ lunchtime, but I’m not so sure. (4)
1234No errorOption A
“Anybody” is used to point to a random person in a crowd. But “else” indicates that we are talking a crowd instead of a particular person. The correct word in this case should be “everybody” or “everyone”. Hence, the correct answer is A.
- He was portrayed as a (1)/ ruthless opportunist who (2)/ exploited the publicity (3)/ at every opportunity. (4)
1234No errorOption E
All the parts are correct and the sentence requires no change. Hence, the correct answer is E.
- The corridor is demoted to (1)/ old black-and-white photographs (2)/ showing, in chronological order, (3)/ the construction of the house. (4)
1234No errorOption A
Demote means to move (someone) to a lower position or rank, usually as a punishment. “Corridors” cannot be demoted. Hence, the correct answer is A.
- Everything is a bit depressing (1)/ at the moment, but I carry on (2)/ in the believe that good times (3)/ are just around the corner. (4)
1234No errorOption C
“Believe” is a verb that is preceded by the article “the”. Since “the” is followed by a noun, it should be “belief” instead of “believe” in part C. Hence, the correct answer is C.
- The strategy of human lockdown (is being unprecedented in human history) and the World Health Organisation has called it the most “aggressive disease containment effort in history”.
i. Was unprecedented in human history
ii. Was unprecedented during human history
iii. Was unprecedented in the history of human beingsOnly iOnly iiOnly iiiBoth i and iiiNo correction requiredOption D
In the sentence, the tense is incorrect. “Being” is not followed by “is”. And out of the options, both i and iii can make a correct sentence. Option ii is incorrect as ‘during’ talks about a phase of time while ‘in’ is used to locate a specific moment in time. Thus, the correct answer is option D.
- announced it has extended its partnership with UNICEF (A) the International Cricket Council (ICC) on Friday (B) focus on empowering women and girls through cricket (C) through to the ICC Women’s T20 World Cup 2020 with the (D)
Both B-C & A-DOnly A-COnly A-DBoth A-B & C-DThe sentence is correctOption D
Interchanging B-C and A-D will lead to a meaningless sentence. Thus, option A incorrect. If we interchange A-C, the sentence implies nothing. So, option B is incorrect.
If we interchange A-D, then also the sentence becomes meaningless which makes option C incorrect. If we carry out the interchanging of A-B and C-D, we will get a meaningful sentence. The correct sentence will be-
The International Cricket Council (ICC) on Friday announced it has extended its partnership with UNICEF through to the ICC Women’s T20 World Cup 2020 with the focus on empowering women and girls through cricket.
- the developed world’s biggest public debt load (A) the bill for a government already struggling to rein in (B) next fiscal year, with social security costs pushing up (C) Japan cabinet approved a record budget for (D)
Only A-DBoth A-C & B-DBoth A-D & B-COnly A-BThe sentence is correctOption C
If we interchange the pair A-D as given in option A, then the sentence will imply something but not make sense completely, but after this we are certain that our answer must contain A-D. The only option containing this pair is option C. If we interchange the pair B-C alongwith A-D, then the resultant sentence will be completely correct. If we interchange A-B, then the sentence will imply nothing. Hence, option C is the correct answer.
Japan cabinet approved a record budget for next fiscal year, with social security costs pushing up the bill for a government already struggling to rein in the developed world’s biggest public debt load.
- in the world and allows people to look at (A) the AI system is one of the most diverse (B) it as per species, country and year (C) millions of camera-trap images and filters (D)
Only A-CBoth A-B & C-DBoth A-C & B-DOnly B-CThe sentence is correctOption B
If we interchange the pair A-C, the sentence will be meaningless, so, option A is incorrect and so is option C. According to option B, if we interchange the pair A-B, then the sentence will make some sense but will not be completely correct but if we interchange C-D also, then we will get a complete correct sentence.
Interchanging pair B-C also will lead to a meaningless sentence, hence, option B is the correct answer. The correct sentence is- The AI system is one of the most diverse in the world and allows people to look at millions of camera-trap images and filters it as per species, country and year.
- The Nobel Prize for physics this year is for the discovery of the gravitational waves released by violent events in the universe such as the mergers of black holes. ________________. Since then three more detections have been made, the latest one on September 28, 2017. The discovery is due to an extremely delicate experiment. Gravitational waves were predicted by Einstein almost 100 years ago
It also throws up the possibility of detectors that can look at the beginning of the universe.The discovery and the repeated detection (four times now) has made the possibility of gravitational wave astronomy very real.The discovery can pave the way for proving the general theory of relativity, so that we can look deeper and deeper into the universe.The first time this was detected was on September 14, 2015, by the LIGO-VIRGO collaboration.Gravitational wave astronomy is a way of mapping out some of the most violent processes in the universe such as black hole or neutron star mergers that cannot be detected with light or the conventional methods.Option D
- The government notes that business establishments are increasingly reliant on private investigators for gathering information and intelligence. Therefore, a large number of private detective agencies have come up all over the country. While in most cases, these agencies have helped in meeting the private investigation and vigilance needs of business establishments, there has been growing concern over how these agencies function, as some of them conduct operations without due verification of those employed as agents. __________________________.
It also makes it mandatory for private detective agencies to hold licenses to carry on their business.The Private Detective Agencies (Regulation) Bill has been pending in Parliament for the past seven years.The proposed law, the government says, would enforce proper norms for the functioning of private detective agencies.In short, the government wants to regulate the functioning of private detective agencies so that they are run within legal parameters and are accountable to a regulatory authority.Also not observed is due regard for the protection of the rights of individuals who are spied upon.Option E
Direction: Which of the following phrases (i), (ii), and (iii) given below each sentence should replace the phrase printed in bold letters to make the sentence grammatically correct? Choose the best option among the five given alternatives that reflect the correct use of phrase in the context of the grammatically correct sentence. If the sentence is correct as it is, mark (E) i.e., “No correction required” as the answer.
Directions:(6-8): In each of the questions given below, a sentence is given which is divided into four parts A, B, C and D. These four parts may or may not be in their correct position. The sentence is then followed by options with the correct combination of parts that should replace each other in order to make the sentence grammatically and contextually correct. Find the correct combination of parts that replace each other. If the sentence is correct as it is, select ‘E’ as your option.
Directions(9-10): From the given options, choose the one that completes the paragraph in the most appropriate way.