Directions(1-4): In the given question, a sentence is divided into five parts out of which the last part is correct. Out of the remaining four, there are errors in three parts. Choose the part which doesn’t have an error. If all the four parts are correct, mark E i.e. All are correct as the answer.
- In spite the possibility of (A) connectivity issues affecting the process, (B) one must recognises that virtual hearings (C) are no difference from open court conversations, (D) provided access is not limited.
ABCDAll are correctOption B
In part A in place of ‘in spite’ ‘despite’ must be used as in spite is always immediately followed by preposition ‘of’. Note that, ‘in spite’ is not a word. “In spite of” means exactly the same thing as “despite” and is used exactly the same way. In part C ‘recognises’ is incorrectly used and should be replaced by ‘recognise’. In part D, ‘different’ must take place of ‘difference’ to make the sentence grammatically correct. The word ‘difference’ being noun, it specifies the extent or quality of dissimilarity or contrasts between two things, situations, or entities. Whereas, the word ‘different’ being adjective, it modifies noun.
- No sooner did the government (A) announce the policy, than (B) the hospitals and clinicians hurried to (C) jump onto the bandwagon, (D) advertising contact information for patients.
ABCDAll are correctOption E
- India’s unemployment rate could have climbed to (A) above than 20% as the economy lost jobs after (B) a nationwide lockdown took up effect (C) on the last week of March, (D) according to a survey by the Center for Monitoring Indian Economy Pvt.
ABCDAll are correctOption A
In part B, we cannot use ‘above’ with ‘than’, hence ‘above’ should be replaced with ‘more’.
In part C, ‘up’ should not be used with ‘took’. Generally, ‘took up’ means ‘to start doing something regularly as a habit, job, or interest’. Hence the correct form will be ‘took effect’.
In part D, in place of preposition ‘on’, ‘in’ should be used. We use ‘in’ for nonspecific times during a day, a month, a season, or a year, whereas, we use ‘on’ to designate days and dates.
- WhatsApp announced in Tuesday that to curb (A) the spreading of misinformation, it is (B) going to be set a new limit on (C) frequently forwarded messages so that they can (D) only be forwarded to one chat at a time.
ABCDAll are correct.Option D
In part A, we should use ‘on’ instead of ‘in’. We use ‘on’ to designate days and dates and we use ‘in’ for nonspecific times during a day, a month, a season, or a year.
In part B, in place of present participle ‘spreading’ we should use past participle ‘spread’.
In part C, we need to omit ‘be’ to rectify the structure ‘going to set’.
- There are, however, many contemporary _____________ to him as a writer, and these add a reasonable amount of flesh and blood to the biographical skeleton.
d) Approximationa-bb-cc-dd-ab-dOption A
The sentence talks about, several contemporary indirect ‘references’ to a certain person as a writer, which is said to add emphasis to the person’s life. Here, ‘reference’ and ‘allusions’ would be the correct fit. Both take the preposition ‘to’ after it and also possess the same meaning i.e. an expression designed to call something to mind without mentioning it explicitly; an indirect or passing reference. Hence, the correct option for this question is A.
- Gender ____________ still exists in India, being born as women in the Indian society one has to face gender discrimination at all levels.
d) Equalitya-bb-ca-cb-da-dOption C
The sentence talks about gender discrimination in India, and the challenges faced by the women at all levels due to this. Here the correct combination would be ‘disparity’ and ‘inequality’, both meaning the same. Hence, the correct option for this question is C.
‘Indiscrimination’ means not using or exercising discrimination, on the other hand ‘equality’ means the state of being equal, especially in status, rights, or opportunities. Therefore, both the words are exactly the opposite of what is needed as the correct fit here.
- The conference of over 100 women from 17 countries, representing unions, socialist parties, working women’s clubs – and including the first three women elected to the Finnish parliament – greeted Zetkin’s suggestion with _______________ approval and thus International Women’s Day was the result.
d) Concordantc-da-bb-ca-db-dOption A
The sentence is talking about a conference of over 100 women from 17 countries representing various union and socialist parties etc, greeting ‘Zetkin’s’ suggestion with an united approval which resulted in the International Women’s Day. Here the correct combination will be ‘unanimous’ and ‘concordant’, both having the same meaning i.e. to be fully in agreement. Hence, option A is correct answer choice for this question.
- Many also feel that musical forms like rock and rap have given the youth the_______________ to express their politics through their music.
d) Audacitya-bb-cc-dd-ab-dOption B
The sentence talks about how different music forms like rock and rap has given the young generation the option or chance to express their politics through their art form. Here the correct combination would be ‘chance’ and ‘opportunity’. Both mean the same i.e. a time or set of circumstances that makes it possible to do something. Hence, option B is the correct option choice for this question.
- The root crops should be clamped (1) in frost(2) dry conditions with adequate(3) protection against reasonably.(4)
2-41-31-23-4No correction requiredOption A
- The invested(1) entrepreneur and a trio of venture(2) capital firms(3) in January inveterate(4) 5 million dollars in Healthscape Inc.
1-23-41-42-3No correction requiredOption C
Directions(5-8): In the given questions, one statement with a blank is given along with four words. Two of the given words can fit into the given blank. Five options with various combinations of these words are given. Pick up the combination of the words that fits into the blank.
Directions(9-10): In the given question, four words are printed in bold and are numbered 1, 2, 3 and 4. Of these, the positions of two words may be incorrect and need to be exchanged to make the sentence correct. Find the two words which need to be exchanged. In case the given sentence is correct, your answer is (E) i.e. No correction required.