- A material is purchased for Rs. 600.Rs. 600. If one fourth of the material is sold at a loss of 20% and the remaining at a gain of 10%, find out the overall gain or loss percentage?
Price received by selling one fourth at 20% loss
Price received by selling remaining at 10% gain
Total selling price =120+495=615=120+495=615
Overall gain =615−600=15
Overall gain percentage
= 15×100/600 = 5/2% = 2(1/2)%
- A and B started a partnership business investing some amount in the ratio of 3 : 5. C joined them after six months with an amount equal to that of B. In what proportion should the profit at the end of one year be distributed amount A, B and C.
- A is twice as good as workman as B and together they finish a piece of work in 18 days. In how many days will B alone finish the work.
58 Days50 Days46 Days43 Days54 DaysOption E
A:B = 2:1
Also (A+B) one day work = 1/18
- A train covers a distance in 50 minutes, if it runs at a speed of 48kmph on an average. Find the speed at which the train must run to reduce the time of journey to 40 minutes.
Time = 50/60 hr = 5/6 hr
Speed = 48 mph
Distance = S*T = 48 * 5/6 = 40 km
Time = 40/60 hr = 2/3 hr
Speed = Distance/Time
New speed = 40*3/2 kmph = 60kmph
- Sound is said to travel in air at about 1100 feet per second. A man hears the axe striking the tree, 11/5 seconds after he sees it strike the tree. How far is the man from the wood chopper?
2420 ft2330 ft2150 ft2400 ft2020 ftOption A
Speed of sound =1100 ft/s
Time =1/15 second
Distance =1100×11/5=220×11= 2420 ft
- A batsman scored 110 runs which included 3 boundaries and 8 sixes. What percent of his total score did he make by running between the wickets?
Total runs scored from boundaries and sixes
Total runs scored by running between the wickets
- A container contains 40 litres of milk. From this container 4 litres of milk was taken out and replaced by water. This process was repeated further two times. How much milk is now contained by the container?
Amount of milk in the container
=40(1−4/40)^3 = 40(1−1/10)^3 = 40×9/10×9/10×9/10
=(4×9×9×9)/100 = 29.16
- Raj’s age after six years will be three-seventh of his father’s age. Ten years ago the ratio of their ages was 1:51:5. What is Raj’s father’s age at present?
10 years20 years40 years50 years30 yearsOption D
Raj’s father’s present age
=5x+10 = 5×8+10 = 50 years
- A rectangular plot measuring 90 metres by 50 metres needs to be enclosed by wire fencing such that poles of the fence will be kept 5 metres apart. How many poles will be needed?
Length of the wire fencing
Number of poles required
=280/5 = 56
- A box contains 4 red, 3 white and 2 blue balls. Three balls are drawn at random. Find out the number of ways of selecting the balls of different colours.
Total number of ways
= 4C1 x 3C1 x 2C1
= 4 x 3 x 2