- A man buys a pant and shirt for Rs. 5000. He sells the pant at a loss of 10% and the shirt at gain of 20%. He still gains Rs. 400 on the whole. Cost price of shirt is
Let the CP of shirt be x. then pant=5000-x
SP=(5000-x)*90/100 + x*120/100 =5400
45000 -9x + 12x=54000
- One of the angles of a quadrilateral is thrice the smaller angle of a parallelogram. The respective ratio between the adjacent angles of the parallelogram is 4:5. Remaining three angles of the quadrilateral are in ratio 4:11:9 respectively. What is the sum of the largest and the smallest angles of the quadrilateral?
Let the adjacent angles of the parallelogram be 4x and 5x.
Then4x +5x = 180
Angles of the parallelogram are 80° and 100°.
One angle of the given quadrilateral = 240°
Let the remaining three angles be 4y, 11y and 9y.
240 + 4y + 11y + 9y = 360
y = 5°
So the angles of the quadrilateral are 20°, 55°, 45° and 240°.
Required sum = 240° + 20° = 260°
- In a college, the ratio of boys to girls is 31 : 26 respectively. When 85 more boys join the college, this ratio becomes 24 : 13. How many more girls should join the college to make the number of boys and girls equal?
(31x+ 85) /26x= 24/13
then no of boys=155, girls=130
Required no of girls=155+85-130
- There are two circles of different radius. The area of a square is 324 sq. cm, whose side is half of the radius of the larger circle. The radius of the smaller circle is one-third of the larger circle. What is the circumference of the smaller circle?
Side of the square=a2=324
Radius of larger circle= 2*18=36cm
Radius of samller circle=1/3*36=12cm.
- X takes 4 days to complete one-third of a job,Y takes 3 days to complete one-sixth of the same work and Z takes 5 days to complete half the job.If all of them work together for 3 days and X and Z quit, how long will it take for Y to complete the remaining work done.
6 days6 2/3days5days5 1/10daysNoneOption D
X takes 12 days to complete the full work. Y take 18 days, Z takes 10 days.
3 days work = 3(1/12+1/18+1/10) = 43/60
Remaining work = 1−43/60=17/60
This work should be completed by Y in
17/60×18= 5 1/10days.
- If the numerator of a fraction is increased by 30% and denominator increased by 20%, the value of the fraction become 13/8. The original fraction is ?
130% of x/ 120% of y=13/8
- In a mixture of 80 L, the ratio of milk and water is 3 : 2. If the ratio of milk and water is to be 6 : 5, then the amount of water to be further added must be ?
5 ….. 80
Let x litre water be added
- A pipe can fill a cistern in 12 min and another pipe can fill it in 15 min, but a third pipe can empty it in 6 min. The first two pipes are kept open 5 min in the beginning and then the third pipe is also opened.Time taken to empty the cistern is ?
15……… 4 ………LCM=60
-6 ……… -10
First 5 mins
In 1min both complete 5+4 =9unit
Then in 5min=9*5=45unit completed
Now third pipe opened
In 1min -1unit is emptied
Then in 45mins full tank emptied.
- The average age of a family of 6 members is 30 years. If the age of the youngest member be 10 years then what was the average age of the family just a day before the birth of the youngest member?
Total age= 6 * 30 = 180
The total age of the family = [180-10-(10*5)] = 120
At the time of birth of the youngest member average= 120/5 = 24.
- In a hostel there was sufficient food for 120 students for 25 days. After 15 days 60 students left the hostel. For how many extra days will the rest of the food last for the remaining students?