- A and B together can do a piece of work in 30 days. A having worked for 16 days, B finishes the remaining work alone in 44 days. In how many days shall B finish the whole work alone?
Let A’s 1 day’s work = x and B’s 1 day’s work = y
Then, x + y = 1/30 and 16x + 44y = 1
Solving these two equations, we get: x =1/60 and y =1/60
B’s 1 day’s work = 1/60
B alone shall finish the whole work in 60 days
- P takes twice as much time as Q or thrice as much time as R to finish a piece of work. They can finish the work in 2 days if work together. How much time will Q take to do the work alone?
Let P takes x days to complete the work
Then Q takes x/2 days and R takes x/3 days to finish the work
Amount of work P does in 1 day = 1/x
Amount of work Q does in 1 day = 2/x
Amount of work R does in 1 day = 3/x
Amount of work P,Q and R do in 1 day = 1/x + 2/x + 3/x = 1/x (1 + 2 + 3) = 6/x
6/x = 2
=> x = 12
=> Q takes 12/2 days = 6 days to complete the work
- 10 men can complete a work in 7 days. But 10 women need 14 days to complete the same work. How many days will 5 men and 10 women need to complete the work?
Work done by 10 men in 1 day = 1/7
Work done by 1 man in 1 day = (1/7)/10 = 1/70
Work done by 10 women in 1 day = 1/14
Work done by 1 woman in 1 day = 1/140
Work done by 5 men and 10 women in 1 day = 5 × (1/70) + 10 × (1/140)
= 5/70 + 10/140 = 1/7
=> 5 men and 10 women can complete the work in 7 days
- 3 men and 7 women can complete a work in 10 days . But 4 men and 6 women need 8 days to complete the same work . In how many days will 10 women complete the same work?
Work done by 4 men and 6 women in 1 day = 1/8
Work done by 3 men and 7 women in 1 day = 1/10
Let 1 man does m work in 1 day and 1 woman does w work in 1 day.
4m + 6w = 1/8 —(1)
3m + 7w = 1/10 —(2)
Solving equation (1) and (2) , we get m=11/400 and w=1/400
Amount of work 10 women can do in a day = 10 × (1/400) = 1/40
- P can finish a work in 18 days. Q can finish the same work in 15 days. Q worked for 10 days and left the job. how many days does P alone need to finish the remaining work?
Work done by P in 1 day = 1/18
Work done by Q in 1 day = 1/15
Work done by Q in 10 days = 10/15 = 2/3
Remaining work = 1 – 2/3 = 1/3
Number of days in which P can finish the remaining work = (1/3) / (1/18) = 6
- A completes 80% of a work in 20 days. Then B also joins and A and B together finish the remaining work in 3 days. How long does it need for B if he alone completes the work?
34 ½38 ½30 ½37 ½31 ½Option D
Work done by A in 1 day = (4/5) / 20 = 4/100 = 1/25 — (1)
Work done by A and B in 3 days = 20/100 = 1/5
Work done by A and B in 1 day = 1/15 —(2)
Work done by B in 1 day = 1/15 – 1/25 = 2/75
=> B can complete the work in 75/2 days = 37 ½ days
- A can do a piece of work in 4 hours . A and C together can do it in just 2 hours, while B and C together need 3 hours to finish the same work. How much time will B alone take to complete the work (in hours).
Work done by A,B and C in 1 hour = 1/4+1/3 = 7/12
Work done by B in 1 hour = 7/12 – 1/2 = 1/12
B = 12 hours
- A can do a particular work in 6 days . B can do the same work in 8 days. A and B signed to do it for Rs. 3200. They completed the work in 3 days with the help of C. How much is to be paid to C?
Amount of work A + B can do in 1 day = 1/6 + 1/8 = 7/24
Amount of work A + B + C can do = 1/3
Amount of work C can do in 1 day = 1/3 – 7/24 = 1/24
work A can do in 1 day: work B can do in 1 day: work C can do in 1 day
= 1/6 : 1/8 : 1/24 = 4 : 3 : 1
Amount to be paid to C = 3200 × (1/8) = 400
- P and Q were assigned to do a work for an amount of 1200. P alone can do it in 15 days while Q can do it in 12 days. With the help of R they finish the work in 6 days. Find the share if C.
Total work = 1/15 + 1/12 + 1/c = 1/6
To complete the whole work by C = 60
so ratio of work done by P:Q:R = 4:5:1
so c share = (1/10)*1200 = 120
- A does half as much work as B does in one sixth of the time. If together they take 20 days to complete the work, then what is the time taken by B to complete the work independently.
Let B take X days to complete the work then in one –sixth of the time i.e. x/6 days.
Now A do half work as done by B so A will take twice the time.
2*x/6 = x/3 to complete the job alone
1/x + 3/x = 1/20
x = 80 days