Directions(1-7): In the passage given below words are given in bold, each followed by a number given in the brackets. Every word in bold has five alternatives. Find the word which best suits the place. If the given words suit the blank, mark ‘all fit’ as the answer and if the given words doesn’t suits the blank, mark ‘none fit’ as the answer.
The concept (1) sustainable development can be interpreted in many different ways, but at its core is an approach to development that looks to balance different, and often competing, needs against an awareness of the environmental, social and economic limitations we (2) as a society. All too often, development is driven by one particular need, without fully considering the (3) or future impacts. We are already seeing the (4) this kind of approach can cause, from large-scale financial crises caused by irresponsible banking, to changes in global climate resulting from our dependence on fossil fuel-based energy sources. The longer we pursue (5) development, the more frequent and severe its consequences are likely to become, which is why we need to take action now. Living within our environmental limits is one of the (6) principles of sustainable development. One implication of not doing so is climate change. But the focus of sustainable development is far broader than just the environment. It’s also about (7) a strong, healthy and just society.
ofonoffnone can fitAll can fitOption A
will facefacedfaceNone can fitAll can fitOption C
widewiderwidestNone can fitAll can fitOption B
benefitsprofitsadvantagesNone can fitAll can fitOption D
The sentence talks about the negative impacts that we are observing due to unrestrained development. Thus, the options A, B and C cannot fit the blank as they all refer to some sort of positive achievements. Hence option D is the correct answer.
unsustainableunsuitableuntenableNone can fitAll can fitOption E
centralmainfundamentalNone can fitAll can fitOption E
admittingensuringallowingNone can fitAll can fitOption B
1) Putting sandwiches in a foil ensures it stays warm for a longer period of time and continues to be edible.
2) The plane foil over the building much to the disbelief of people passing by.
3) They learned about the role of a dramatic foil in English class.Only 1Only 3Both 1 and 2Both 1 and 3All 1,2,3Option D
“Foil” refers to a metal hammered into a thin sheet.
It also refers to prevent a plan from taking place.
Both 1 and 3 make sense when used in the sentence.
In statement 2, “foil” must be replaced with ‘fell’.
1) The current situation seems to be out of control for the government.
2) The number of current in the forest are on a decline as forest fires keep on occurring.
3) The bulb completes the circuit which then lets the current flow through it making the bulb glow.Only 1Only 2Both 1 and 2Both 1 and 3All 1,2,3Option D
Current means “belonging to current times”.
Current also refers to a flow of electricity. Both 1 and 3 satisfy the grammatical rule and make proper sense whereas 2 doesn’t.
Current should be replaced with ‘trees’ in sentence 2.
1) My way of doing business includes hard graft, professionalism, integrity and a tendency to say ‘yes’ when others can’t.
2) In 2002 the authorities grafted a new mandatory funded pension system onto the existing structure, under which 6 per cent of pension contributions go to financial intermediaries or private pension funds.
3) We persuaded the patients to allow the surgeons to cut out a length of the nerve where it had been damaged and to graft in new nerves so the nerve could reconstruct itself.Only 2Both 1 and 3Both 1 and 2Both 2 and 3All 1,2,3Option
The word ‘graft’ carries several meanings:
1. (Verb) to insert a shoot or twig as a graft on a trunk or stem.
2. (Verb) to transplant living tissue as a graft.
3. (Verb) to combine or integrate an idea, system, etc. with another, typically in a way considered inappropriate.
4. (Noun) refers to the activity of using power or authority to obtain money dishonestly.
5. (Noun) refers to hard work. “Hard graft” is a common phrase.
Directions(8-10): In the following questions, a word is given, which has been used in the three statements given below it. Identify the statement(s) in which the word fits contextually to convey a logical meaning.